Senior Engineer-Body Structures - £40k - £48k - Permanent - South Wales
Our client, a world leader in the luxury automobile market, are on the lookout for a tier-1 Senior Engineer who will be responsible for the engineering and quality of all current production vehicles, someone who is highly motivated and can demonstrate an ability to lead a small team within the area of Body Structures.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks:
* Management - Responsible for the daily management of their team delivering continuous improvement in DPV (Defects per vehicle), AMCPA (Customer Perception Audit), Warranty and CSI (Customer Satisfaction Survey) scores and removing roadblocks and escalate issues preventing delivery of tasks. Manage all open concerns.
* Objective setting - Play an instrumental role in enabling the function to achieve its business targets, through meeting / exceeding the defined objectives. Cascade these objectives through the leadership of your team and measure the team against achieving their targets.
* Appraisal - run 1:1 with team and perform mid and end of year appraisals
* Training - develop the team as appropriate identifying training needs and skills gaps.
* Recruitment - support recruitment
* Technical understanding - good working knowledge of subject area. Understanding the manufacturing processes, component level design and manufacture, awareness of key safety requirements.
* Problem resolution - Have a methodical approach to problem solving with an ability to react quickly to identify root cause. Experience in problem solving required, using 8D, G8D, (Practical Problem Solving) PPS, 6 Sigma or similar.
* CCE - Engaging and working with the wider CCE team to deliver engineering solutions to cost, time, Quality & function. Supporting where necessary with testing and evaluation. Track these issues to resolution and verify they are closed off robustly.
* Feedback - Issues assigned through (Consumer Product Audit) CPA & (Dynamic Screening) DS need to be investigated and tracked to closure through the appropriate AMCPA or DS feedback sessions. Where appropriate, feedback engineering issues to (Product Development) PD function and drive reoccurrence prevention through Engineering Specification and DFMEA updates.
* DPV / RFT improvement - The team has a responsibility to work closely with the manufacturing and engineering teams to provide support to the production lines for containment and problem resolution of build issues caused by design, engineering, production or supplier quality issues. You will be expected to lead cross functional teams to achieve this result, implementing design changes where necessary using the engineering releasing system. (Defects Per Vehicle - DPV / Right First Time - RFT)
* Parts quality and supplier engineering requests (PPAP / AMPAP and SREA Management) - Sign off part quality and Supplier Requests for Engineering Approval following the PPAP / AMPAP process.
* Supplier support & investigations - Supplier investigations to identify issues with key processes on or off site and working with suppliers to drive continuous improvements in supplier manufacturing process and support supplier resourcing activities.
* Setting standards - Update Vehicle Inspection Standards (VIS)
* Warranty - Proactively track Warranty status and implement improvement activities to reduce cost and frequency.
* New Models - Engage with new model functions to share issues and learning on current model, demonstrate resolution and verify previously raised issues are robustly closed off during the current build phase or at the next build phase.
* EBHS - Evaluation of Equivalent Body Hole Size (EBHS) and its potential impact on wind noise and water leaks
* Client Services - Produce Technical Bulletins to support dealer network learning.
* Quality - Writing of Quality Management System for Body Structures.
* Management of a small team.
* Setting objectives and conducting appraisals.
* Good working knowledge of Body Structures.
* Broad engineering and manufacturing knowledge.
* Broad knowledge of vehicle.
* Experience of component design.
* Experience in inspection systems.
* Worked in OE or Teir1 manufacturing environment (CVE / PVT / Production / Plant Quality/ PD).
* Engineering HNC, Degree or Equivalent.
* Full UK Driving Licence.
* AML Level 3 Licence.
Skills & Abilities:
* Must be proficient in MS Outlook, Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
* Good communication and presentation skills.
* Chairing meetings and running effective meeting minutes / CCAR's.
* Awareness of QMS (ISO 9001 / IATF16949 / AIAG).
* Must be able to negotiate with internal and external departments to ensure effective vehicle evaluation.
Do you have good inter-personal skills?
Are you able to offer a diplomatic outlook?
Able you to work across multiple departments?
Are you able to work with and motivate a small team?
Do you have a logical problem-solving mind-set?
If this sounds like you then please get in touch with Chris Wilding on 01707247254 or email