Oracle is seeking a dynamic, mid-level employment lawyer to work at Oracle’s UK headquarters in Reading.
The position will report to the Senior Vice President, Legal, Associate General Counsel, Employment based in California, USA with a dotted line into the Assistant General Counsel, Employment Counsel, EMEA.
The primary function of this role is to provide pragmatic in-house legal services to Oracle’s regional HR team on a broad spectrum of challenging employment related legal and compliance issues, and to assist on all employment law aspects of acquisitions.
Although the role is based in the UK, areas of responsibility will include other jurisdictions in Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA) and coordination on various projects with Oracle’s global team of employment lawyers.
Job summary and Mission:
As an Employment Law Counsel, you will play a key role in supporting the company’s employment objectives for Europe, Middle East and Africa, supporting and working alongside two senior employment lawyers in the EMEA Employment Legal team.
Key Responsibilities include:
· Counsel and advise on a myriad of contentious and non-contentious employment law matters;
· Support, manage and conduct employment related litigation/arbitrations and settlement negotiations;
· Review and keep updated EMEA employment agreements and standard terms of employment across the region;
· Advising on issues arising from corporate acquisitions and restructurings, as well as insourcing and outsourcing issues;
· Advising on employee benefits, variable compensation, executive packages;
· Interaction with and management of outside counsel.
· Law degree is required.
· 3-8 PQE specialism in employment work at premier firm required.
· Previous significant in-house experience not essential.
· Must be able to multi task in a fast paced environment and perform under pressure.
· Must be willing to be based part time at Oracle’s offices in Reading and travel as required for the role.
· Excellent verbal and written English communication skills are a must.
· Knowledge of another European language (eg Italian, Spanish) preferred.
- Business awareness and orientation (ability to match legal expertise to commercial business context) are essential.
- Independent and able to make decisions.
- Analytical thinking (solution driven).
- Comfortable in a complex and changing business environment.
This would be a fantastic opportunity for a mid-level employment lawyer looking to move into their first in-house role.
Detailed Description and Job Requirements Provide legal support across all lines of business enabling profitable growth while mitigating legal risks and assure adherence to governance policies, ethics, and country specific laws and regulations
Responsible for providing legal advice to the organization. Close liaison to business in providing a variety of corporate and commercial legal services. May perform litigation on Oracle's behalf or coordinates litigation and other legal, administrative or investigative actions handled by outside counsel. May draft, review, and negotiate major and/or non-standard technology contracts with public and private sector customers, including licensing agreements, professional services agreements, and cloud services agreements. May advise on legal issues involving government and regulatory compliance. Responds to ad hoc queries to include identification, analysis, and evaluation of risks in order to provide appropriate legal solutions. Works closely with other lawyers throughout Oracle and coordinates legal matters handled by outside lawyers. Demonstrates deep general commercial or functional knowledge across a sub discipline within the individual's specialty area(s), (e.g., general corporate law, antitrust/competition law, securities compliance and regulatory, employment law, immigration law, cloud transactions, data privacy, risk management asset-backed financing, contract management, intellectual property, trade secrets, advertising law, registration and other resolutions specific to the computer and technology industry)
Job duties are varied and complex utilizing independent judgment. May have project lead role. 5+ years related experience. Bachelors degree in computer science, computer engineering, or similar background is a plus for roles within certain sub disciplines. Completed law degree and member of bar association in relevant jurisdictions. Excellent legal skills and business judgment in areas of responsibility. Proficient writing skills.
As part of Oracle's employment process candidates will be required to successfully complete a pre-employment screening process. This will involve identity and employment verification, professional references, education verification and professional qualifications and memberships (if applicable).