Anglian Water has created a new deliver enterprise - the Strategic Pipeline Alliance (SPA). The projects purpose is to 'Make the East of England resilient to the effects of drought'. Achieving our purpose will ensure the security of water supply for future generations, over decades to come.
By delivering a smart and resilient transfer system through the delivery of Pipelines, Pumping Stations and associated structures, we will be capable of delivering large scale strategic assets and complex systems to our current asset base by ensuring that these are digitally enabled.
Essential to contributing to our ambitious and exciting ambitions is our ability to gather, manage and analyse information of our region’s geography to ensure we make innovative and smart decisions. With this in mind, we are looking for a Electrical Design Engineer.
Provide designs which are innovative and deliver value for money whilst acting as a proactive problem-solver by applying engineering principles. Lead by reviewing the mandate and preparing a scope, methodology, programme and resource estimate for implementing the design stage of the project and design support during construction.
You will be embedded within the SPA delivery team and be responsible for a section of the design output. You will monitor workload and liaise with Production Line Leads, Design Leads and other discipline Designers alongside this role. You will be responsible for and lead the production and detailed electrical design elements, such as pump stations, including incoming electrical supplies, building services, control, monitoring and telemetry systems. In your section, you will have graduate assistant(s) and be responsible for design output, information flow and consistency of approach.
Costain helps to improve people’s lives by deploying technology-based engineering solutions to meet urgent national needs across the UK’s energy, water and transportation infrastructures.
This role is for our Strategic Pipeline Alliance (SPA) with Anglian Water, based in Peterborough.
- Reporting to the Design Lead and SPA Mechanical Lead; work with Supply Chain Designers, Offshore Designers, SPA Planners and Delivery Teams.
- Be responsible for the development of technical solutions from concept selection through design development.
- Develop the procurement model we have for MEICA, including determining the elements we will do with sub-contractors.
- Co-ordinate the production of construction drawings in CAD, BIM and GIS environment. Have an ability to embrace digital delivery – e.g. intelligent P&ID’s.
- Guide your team in producing designs which minimise safety risks in construction and subsequent maintenance.
- Enable good information flow, e.g. via Technical Queries etc.
- Understand the importance of design interactions from solutions, production and delivery.
- Work closely with team members to ensure requirements are met.
- Embrace digital transformation throughout design, including the creation of a Digital Twin.
- Involvement in the interfaces with our Utilities and Environmental teams, and liaison with Temporary Works Design.
- Lead stakeholder discussions with power suppliers.
- Lead supplier discussions around relevant plant and kit.
- Understanding of CAPEX and OPEX solution decision making.
- Develop commercial abilities in managing estimates, targets and forecasts for the design work.
- Mentoring graduate engineers in developing technical knowledge and understanding.
- Support the Solutions, Engineering and Production teams with pioneering ideas to gain efficiencies.
- Provide technical support and input to technical meetings.
Applicants should preferably demonstrate experience of working in multi-disciplinary teams and have a track record in design of a section of the works.
They need an ability to embrace production thinking but equally be well versed with producing solutions which are operable and maintainable.
Show an ability to understand the system interoperability and how their design and decisions will ultimately lead the SPA control philosophy and performance with new and existing AW assets.
The SPA Alliance. Building Resilience. Building Pipelines. Building career aspirations.
As part of SPA’s commitment to diversity and inclusion, we are challenging ourselves to address and remove unconscious bias within our recruitment and selection process. Initial reviews of CV’s and applications forms are anonymised and not issued to the hiring manager.
We ask that before you apply for a role, please make every effort to remove the information below:
- Partner organisation (current employer)
- Dates (of roles and qualifications)
- Personal info:
- Contact details
- Date of birth
- Projects (if linked to SPA, AW or may identify current partner)
- Header/ Footers that include reference to partner or personal info
- Name (can be included in title but not embedded throughout application/ CV i.e. written in third person
Why work for us?
Talent comes in many different guises. At Costain we recognise this and work with employees to take them where they want to go rather than where we think they should go. We are fully committed to creating a safe place to work, where everyone can be at their best, every day. A workplace where everyone can be their true self, feel valued and understood for who they are and what makes them unique.
As a mark of our progress we were named as a Times Top 50 Employer for Women in 2018 and again in 2019. In addition to this, we have won various awards, including IChemE Diversity and Inclusion, Women in Science and Engineering (WISE) Employer of the year and a Business in the Community (BITC) Game Changer award. Manchester and London Pride parades are now established dates in the Costain calendar, and we are proud to be a Stonewall diversity champion. We are a member of Working Families, an early signatory to the BITC Race Charter and a Disability Confident Committed employer.
Costain value that everyone is different and by being different, our people can bring their own valuable contribution to the business. Creating an inclusive culture makes us more able to recruit, retain and progress a diverse workforce, increasing employee engagement and experiencing higher levels of wellbeing.
Our employee benefits
We’re dedicated to providing a broad range of rewards and benefits. As well as a competitive salary, our employees enjoy a comprehensive core benefits package which includes:
- Group Pension Plan, to help you save for the future
- Employee Assistance Programme, to help employees and their families balance the pressures of work and home life
- Incentive payments to recognise high-performance
- Life assurance, to help protect your loved ones financially
- Funded membership to a professional Institute
- Private healthcare and dental packages
- Salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme
- Discounted gym membership, to keep you as fit and as healthy as you can be
- Volunteering days, so you can give back to your local community
- Save as You Earn (SAYE) scheme, that lets you save towards buying shares in Costain
Costain, and the Armed Forces
We actively encourage applications from candidates who have a relationship with the armed forces community whether as a currently serving member or reservist, ex-military or wounded personnel or as a member of a service family.
Right to Work & Security Checks
Understandably given the nature of our business, everyone who is employed at Costain must undergo thorough referencing checks. We will need different information depending on the job we have offered you. For all roles, we'll carry out a criminal record check and we’ll ask to see evidence that you have the legal right to work in the UK. You may be required to obtain and maintain security clearance of at least Security Check level (or SC clearance). To satisfy the requirements, you will need to have been a legal UK resident for a minimum of 5 years and have successfully complete all stages of the vetting process.
Please note that Costain reserves the right to bring forward the closing date of any of its job vacancies if we receive a suitable number of quality applications from which to make a shortlist. Therefore, we recommend at you apply as soon as possible rather than wait until the published closing date.