SENIOR DIRECTOR, TCR DISCOVERY
ABINGDON, OXFORDSHIRE, UK
Adaptimmune is a leading T-cell therapy company, designing and developing adoptive cell therapies for treating cancer. The Company's unique SPEAR (Specific Peptide Enhanced Affinity Receptor) T cell platform enables the engineering of T-cells to target and destroy cancer, including solid tumors.
Reporting into the VP Protein Sciences, this newly created role of Senior Director will provide inspirational leadership, driving the discovery of T-cell receptors for the development of SPEAR T-cell therapy products.
The successful candidate will lead the Phage Display, T-cell Cloning and TCR ID & Characterisation groups.
This is a key role within Pipeline Research, contributing to the strategic direction of the Pipeline, providing functional and enterprise leadership with the responsibility of delivering high quality TCR candidates into TCR Engineering.
• Ensure delivery of high quality TCR candidates into the TCR Pipeline in alignment with Company objectives.
• Develop and optimise platform technologies to ensure Adaptimmune remains at the cutting edge of TCR Discovery.
• Manage a diverse team of scientists engaged in discovery research and take responsibility for their development, acting as a role model, coach and mentor within the wider research team.
• Develop the team infrastructure and technical capabilities to ensure optimal team performance.
• Work in partnership with department heads to progress projects through the pipeline in a scientifically rigorous and efficient way.
• Represent the company at conferences and scientific meetings externally, making presentations and preparing publications.
• As a Research Leadership Team member, provide strategic input into the operation of Pipeline research
• Communication of strategy and progress to senior management at governance meetings.
• Manage department budget.
• TCR Discovery strategic and operational decisions.
• Contribution to Pipeline Research strategy and operational decisions.
• Team budget and sign off according to company policy.
• Team management/performance decisions.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
• PhD in biochemistry, molecular/cellular biology, immunology, oncology or related field.
• Extensive experience in a biotech or pharma environment.
• Demonstrated ability to deliver candidate receptors from TCR, antibody or similar discovery platforms.
• Background of cloning, cell culture, library technologies and candidate screening/selection.
• Proven leadership and management experience.
• Project leadership experience.
• Good understanding of Immunology and/or cancer biology.
• Experience in TCR research.
• Experience in T-cell culture.
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
• Strong background in molecular biology, protein expression and cell biology.
• Highly developed credible leadership and management skills.
• Excellent scientific knowledge and drive.
• Ability to make sound and timely strategic decisions, prioritise, plan projects and deliver to timelines.
• Strong team player with ability to work in cross-functional teams.
• Self-motivated with a strong initiative and the energy and drive to take on tough challenges, work under pressure and see projects and issues through to conclusion.
• The ability to earn the confidence and respect of colleagues and to promote the culture of flexibility and collaboration.
• High attention to detail.
• Good time management skills.
• Excellent numeracy and English language skills (both written and verbal).
• Excellent communication skills (again, both written and verbal).
• Proven project leadership skills.
• Computer literate and ability to familiarise with different IT systems.