We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
We are looking for the next engineering leader for the open source software team in Arm.
Can you develop strategies that satisfy Arm's needs for open source; using internal engineering teams and engaging with the wider ecosystem and software communities?
As a member of the OSS team in Central Engineering you will lead a team of engineers who are addressing the growing demand for software from Arm in new and existing markets. You will report directly to the VP of open source software and be part of the OSS leadership team.
The position will be based at Arm corporate headquarters, Cambridge, United Kingdom.
Job Purpose & Accountabilities
Open source forms the foundations of product software almost everywhere computing happens currently. As an engineering leader you will be working directly with engineering teams to deliver solutions to meet Arm’s open source needs across all of the segments where Arm operates today and developing strategies to help Arm reach into new ones.
Key to the role is an understanding of open source software development flow and an ability to engage with key decision makers, both internally and externally. This includes the ability to highlight the advantages of the Arm software ecosystem, as well as being able to position it against the competition.
You will work closely with project, product and technology managers to ensure that the scope and schedule are understood, and that engineering has the capacity to deliver.
- Line management and personal developmentresponsibility for a large and growing team (200+ engineers)
- Developing and deploying standardmethodology for software development, validation and release
- Contribute to the OSS vision, mission andstrategy to enable greater business success for Arm.
- Being responsible for the engineeringdelivery against component roadmaps, with your team, and driving thevision for software enablement and optimization activities for the varioussegments
- Working closely with architects andtechnology leads, directly engaging with internal and external softwaredevelopment teams
- Developing business cases for new proposed features and articulating the value proposition. In particularunderstanding both the cost of delivery plus the ongoing costs of opensource software
- Evangelism in communities to enthusecustomers and internal stakeholders with the software offerings, includingparticipating in customer meetings, sales meetings, and training.
You should be flexible, with a variety of skills and a dedication to extend the breadth and depth of your knowledge.
Education & Qualifications
Good university degree (or equivalent), ideally in a numerate subject, although other graduates would be considered if they have meaningful experience.
Essential Skills & Experience
- Experience of leading and line managementof large and diverse engineering teams
- Proven record in developing anddelivering software to customers in multiple segments, which would includeelements comprising a typical SW stack (from firmware and boot flow to OSand applications)
- Experience in working with one or more ofthe major open source communities
- Proven experience with creation,management, validation and closure of software requirements
- Ability to express ideas and communicateeffectively with other team members, customers and suppliers - formulatingand executing on strategy
- Motivation to work unsupervised, but asan integral member of a local engineering team, as well as part of aglobally distributed marketing team
- Comfortable with the requirement totravel as appropriate to support the globally distributed team.
Desirable Skills & Experience:
- Leadership of software engineeringteam(s) that have worked with or delivered into open source softwareprojects
- Deep understanding of Mobile, Embedded,Cloud, Enterprise Server, Automotive and Networking software segments
- Software Development experience
- Software Project Management or ProductManagement experience
Your particular benefits package will depend on position and type of employment and may be subject to change. Your package will be confirmed on offer of employment. Arm’s benefits program provides permanent employees with the opportunity to stay innovative and healthy, ensure the wellness of their families, and create a positive working environment.
- Annual Bonus Plan
- Discretionary Cash Award
- Group Personal Pension Plan with enhanced company contribution
- Medical, Travel, Health & Life Insurances
- Holiday, 25 days annual leave with option to buy an additional 5 days per year
- Sabbatical, 20 paid days every four-year of service
- Volunteering, One (1) paid working day each year (TeamARM)
- Varies by location: cycle to work, free car parking, gym on site, team and social events
Arm® technology is at the heart of a computing and connectivity revolution that is transforming the way people live and businesses operate. From the unmissable to the invisible; our advanced, energy-efficient processor designs are enabling the intelligence in 86 billion silicon chips and securely powering products from the sensor to the smartphone to the supercomputer. With more than 1,000 technology partners including the world’s most famous business and consumer brands, we are driving Arm innovation into all areas compute is happening inside the chip, the network and the cloud.
With offices around the world, Arm is a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling an inclusive, meritocratic and open workplace where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to Arm's success in the global marketplace.
About the office
At our global HQ in Cambridge, England we house the majority of our engineering and our corporate groups that deliver our extraordinary success. As a world-renowned university town, Cambridge boasts both a beautiful countryside and a historical town center. Local activities include punting on the River Cam and the many museums that reside within Cambridge University.
110 Fulbourn Road
See on Google maps