Here at The Guardian, we believe the open exchange of information, ideas and opinions has the power to change the world for the better.
More people than ever before are reading, watching and listening to Guardian journalism from across the world. Over the past year The Guardian achieved record digital traffic with our highest number of regular readers and monthly page views averaging over 1.1 billion.
We’re now on a path to achieve the goal we announced last month of two million people supporting The Guardian by 2022. We hit our highest revenues in a decade and in 2019 achieved the goal we set three years earlier to break even.
That’s where you come in. We are recruiting a Senior Designer to be responsible for senior level design for commercial content projects across print and all digital platforms for a 12 month fixed term contract.
About the role
• Generate creative, innovative and engaging branded design to brief and follow production through from conception to completion.
• Deliver branded content design across print and digital platforms. Includes (but not limited to) in print: magazine/supplement designs, page layouts and print promotions. Online: Page designs, layouts, information graphics and digital banners.
• Concept, commission and design print and digital advertising for partners and clients.
• Taking senior level design responsibility for Guardian Labs projects.
• Input into art direction on branded content campaigns.
• Contribute to the pitch process by creating design concepts, mock-ups and sketches for print and online content.
• Ensure Guardian guidelines for branded content are interpreted and applied to all creative and design.
• Source and commission specialist designers, illustrators, typographers, etc. as required.
• Assisting with the commissioning of data and research for data visualisations. And when required create and/or commission illustration, data visualisation for print and online.
• Work closely with the commissioning editors to ensure that campaigns and articles are visualised using the best possible treatment.&;
• Work closely with picture editors and photographers to deliver concept art fit for layout and in line with art direction.
• Work closely with the project managers to ensure projects are budgeted efficiently and work within the allocated timeline.
• Ensure commissions are raised and fulfilled in a timely fashion and are accurately allocated to projects.
• Graduate calibre – preferably HND, BA degree or other professional qualification in Design/Graphic Design/visual communications.
• Excellent InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator. Experience of using editorial production systems (Octopus editorial system skills are desirable).
• Senior designer level work experience in the publishing, design or marketing industry.
• Ability to interpret and create complex storytelling for print and digital formats.
• Experience art directing photo shoots, and commissioning illustration.
• Excellent eye for detail.
• Excellent eye for outstanding photography, illustration, graphic design and typography.
• Experience of working on a wide range of graphic and publishing material, demonstrated by a strong portfolio.
• Excellent ideas generation.
• Thorough understanding of photography, typography and print techniques.
• Illustration and infographic design skills preferable
Does this all sound like you? Then we’d love to hear from you!
How to apply
To be considered, please send us your latest CV and a cover letter which outlines why you’d love to join us, and why you’re a great match for what we’re looking for.
The closing date for applications is Thursday 8th October 2020.
The Guardian offers 26 days’ holiday and a competitive benefits package including a generous pension, healthcare, dental insurance options, cycle to work scheme and 2 paid volunteering days per year.
We have a strong commitment to &;your learning, development and wellbeing, with hundreds of different courses available - ranging from bite-sized e-learning courses, to on-site workshops and professional certifications
It’s the talent, energy and commitment our people bring to our business that make us who we are. Across our business we have some of the brightest and best people in media and beyond: award winning journalists, cutting edge commercial teams, industry leading digital talent and much, much more.
We are a vibrant and diverse community with many events &;groups and forums to get involved in. Our Kings Place offices overlook Regents Canal, with the newly-developed Coal Drops Yard, Granary Square and St Pancras Square shops, restaurants and pop-ups.
We value and respect all differences in all people (seen and unseen) at the Guardian. We aspire to inclusive working experiences and an environment that reflects the audience we serve, where our people have equal access to career development opportunities, their voices are heard and can contribute to our future. The Guardian actively encourages applications from BAME candidates.
At the Guardian, many of our staff work flexibly and we will consider all requests for flexible working arrangements.&;