The Project Controls function is responsible for establishing and managing a world-class project controls regime, providing assured project controls information and analysis to enable the A MD and team to make quick and effective 'Best for Programme' decisions. It assures project controls information provided by the Project, and drives continuous improvement in project controls across all the organisations.
The function sets the Performance Measurement Baseline (PMB) against which the Project holds the parties to account. The team uses the data to provide insight on the critical drivers underpinning the success of the Programme.
The Senior Cost Performance Manager will support the Project Controls Director in building and enabling an enduring cost performance management capability in line with best practice APM methodologies, including development of a team of Suitably Qualified Experienced Personnel (SQEP). The team will be responsible for the activities that underpin the provision of cost intelligence data and analysis.
The individual will manage the project controls cost performance team, in provision of an agreed cost intelligence service which enables scrutiny, challenge and an understanding of the project submissions.
This role will also be responsible for ensuring a seamless handshake of data between the Project Controls Cost and Finance functions
Security clearance is highly desirable; ability to obtain SC is essential.
Costain helps to improve people’s lives by deploying technology-based engineering solutions to meet urgent national needs across the UK’s energy, water and transportation infrastructures.
This role will primarily be responsible for supporting the establishment of a cost performance management capability
You will be responsible for:
- Providing day-to-day management of the project controls cost performance team
- Embedding the Project Controls Strategy, once developed, to drive improved cost performance
- Developing relationships across multiple organisations to drive joint understanding and clear communications with respect to performance data
- Developing the project controls cost performance team and support capability development with relevant training
- Building effective relationships with opposite numbers in the client to develop collaborative working across the Parties
- Providing cost performance support to the Programme Director, Project Controls Director and their respective teams
- Working collaboratively with cost estimating/should-cost teams to feedback cost performance trends into BoE/norms database
- Supporting the Finance Director in developing a cost conscious culture throughout the project
- Significant experience on major programmes, an understanding basis of estimates and application of cost performance techniques
- Graduate-level qualification in an project management, engineering/construction, finance or demonstrable equivalent experience
- Significant experience of working with stakeholders across multiple functions and grade structures, and facilitating/influencing decision making at these levels
- Ability to manage highly capable, cross-functional teams, and exert influence both within and outside direct line management
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Proven experience in the leadership and management of a team
- Previous experience in a similar role
- Desirable – experience of working within a major UK investment project, involving both public and private sector organisations
We listened to our employees, so our Core Benefits are funded by us and include a Group Pension Scheme, Employee Assistance Programme, Life Assurance, Income Protection and funded membership to a Professional Institute. In addition to this we also offer a Private Healthcare Scheme, Private Dental Scheme, Cycle to Work, Volunteering Days and Save as You Earn Scheme.
At Costain we aim to be an accessible, diverse and inclusive organisation to continue to meet our customers’ needs. We will be industry leading in our approach and people from all backgrounds will be proud to work for Costain. Our goal is to have a workforce that is representative of society.
We actively encourage applications from candidates who have a relationship with the armed forces community whether as a currently serving member or reservist, ex-military or wounded personnel or as a member of a service family.
Please note this is an advert for our job vacancy, and therefore may not be inclusive of all assigned duties, responsibilities, or aspects of the role described, and may be amended at any time at the sole discretion of Costain. For a full role profile, please contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for this vacancy may be subject to change any time at the sole discretion of the Business.