A mutually rewarding experience.
Work. Realize your ambitions. And realize there’s more to being in business than just making a profit. That’s the Mars philosophy. And the opportunity we offer every one of our Associates. An opportunity to take what you do and make it mean more for you, for those around you and for the planet. What you get here is challenging, interesting work. You get the tools you need to do a great job and you get to have the best possible people on your side to help you do it. And at the same time as getting to find ways to do business better today than we did it yesterday and driving a great career, you also get to build a more enlightened business and drive sustainability.
Because it’s never just about a single person, a single project or a single brand. It’s about how you can grab everything that’s within your reach here and use it to pursue mutual, long-term gain. It’s about having ideas. And ideals. Being prepared to risk failure because the promise of success means we’ll all be a little better off. It’s that mix of integrity and ambition that makes Mars such a special place to work. And why working here is always about more than just a job.
About Mars, Incorporated
Mars is a family-owned business with more than a century of history making diverse products and offering services for people and the pets people love. With almost $35 billion in sales, the company is a global business that produces some of the world’s best-loved brands: M&M’s®, SNICKERS®, TWIX®, MILKY WAY®, DOVE®, PEDIGREE®, ROYAL CANIN®, WHISKAS®, EXTRA®, ORBIT®, 5™, SKITTLES®, UNCLE BEN’S®, MARS DRINKS and COCOAVIA®. Mars also provides veterinary health services that include BANFIELD® Pet Hospitals, Blue Pearl®, VCA® and Pet Partners™. Headquartered in McLean, VA, Mars operates in more than 80 countries. The Mars Five Principles – Quality, Responsibility, Mutuality, Efficiency and Freedom – inspire its more than 100,000 Associates to create value for all its partners and deliver growth they are proud of every day.
The Senior Business Translator is responsible for evangelizing a data-driven decision making culture across Mars by fostering a hypothesis-driven approach to problem-solving. A successful candidate will leverage their understanding of the business and jointly work with the decision science team to provide actionable insights for solving business problems or finding opportunities for profitable growth.
You will work & collaborate with the Global Analytics, Data & AI teams, but it is expected you are solving problems in close collaboration with users from our segments & markets around the world. This also provides the opportunity to be influential in the new & emerging capabilities that Mars needs to build to be successful with plenty of room for “firsts”.
Working in a small team of experts across Data Engineering, Business Translation, Data Sciences you will partner with Product Owners and users to unlock problems and solve with advanced techniques.
Within this team, you will:
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of the business, work with key business stakeholders to understand their challenges and formulate business problems
- Ideate and build early perspectives on actionable insights to the problem and work with the decision science team to prove/ disprove the hypothesis, continuously iterating as new information and/or insights come to light
- Help the decision science team with business context and provide necessary feedback during the analysis phase to ensure the outcomes deliver insights that are needed by the business
- Have a strong understanding of the various statistical techniques, its application and translate the model outcomes into insights/ business terms
- Ability to lead complex analytical exercises/projects and which lead to actionable direction within the marketplace
- Skilled at building and managing relationships, including stakeholder management
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- CPG and Retailer knowledge, including knowledge of, and experience using key external third-party data sources including, first-party data, and Associates surveys.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field, Advanced degree preferred
- 7-10 years of experience in insights role or equivalent; ideally in a CPG, Telecom and Financial services
- Ability to tell a story using data from primary, secondary and third-party data sources
- Experience and comfort working directly with senior leaders; aligning senior execs w/ differing perspectives
- Experience working in a matrix environment where creating collaboration and influence are required for generating results
- Good understanding of P&L levers & value chain modeling
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to influence and present effectively
- Familiarity with modeling techniques and advanced applied skills (e.g., Regression, Customer life cycle value, A/B testing)
- Good knowledge of data visualization tools such as Tableau, Power BI, to deliver output to the broader business community to improve decision making and productivity
Mars is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.