What if you could work with remarkable people on extraordinary things? What if the end result was something a little bit special? What if your role was mission critical?
For nearly 70 years, AWE has been at the forefront of nuclear weapons research and development. We have a critical mission: to provide the warheads for the UK’s ultimate deterrent – Trident. We also use our unique skills to provide wider UK government with counter-terrorism and nuclear threat reduction solutions.
It takes a special sort of person to work at AWE. What if that person was you?
We are seeking a new Head of Estimating to lead a team of specialist estimators in support of a complex and challenging programme of capital projects and capability enhancements. The role requires expert stakeholder management with internal and external customers. Your knowledge and experience will be put to good use as our unique programme provides a stimulating mix of project work, governance and functional support including line and task management, mentoring and coaching.
Location – Reading area
Salary – Competitive salary
AWE offer a competitive salary, market leading contributory pension scheme, generous holiday entitlement, excellent work/life balance including a 9 day working fortnight and flexible working hours (role dependant). A salary sacrifice scheme is also available. We welcome applicants that are looking for full time and part time hours. A full Job Profile is available along with package details.
You’ll monitor and assess the development and status of technical information and documentation against the cost plan, forecasting anticipated difficulties and providing proposals for their resolution. Whilst providing estimated input and support to the project team, with regard value engineering assessments and evaluating results as part of the project process.
• Implement best practice estimating policy, processes and procedures on projects.
• Task manage capacity and deployment of Business Management team members in support of Group Controllers.
• Provide cost estimates and cost plans within levels of certainty, provisioning effective monitoring, forecasting and control of financial limits.
• Monitor and assess the development and status of technical information against the cost plan, forecasting issues and developing proposals for resolution.
• Perform and support other Estimating requirements as requested.
• Assist value engineering assessments and evaluation as part of the project process.
• Provide estimating input to performance reporting, risk and change assessments.
• Maintain and promote high personal standards in environment, safety, health, security and quality and be a great team player.
Please note that you must be a British National to apply for a role at AWE.
AWE plays a crucial role in the defence of the United Kingdom, by providing and maintaining the warheads for the country’s nuclear deterrent. We are a centre of scientific, engineering and technological excellence, with some of the most advanced research, design and production facilities in the world. Our unique expertise also assists the UK Government in developing and delivering a range of innovative and integrated support services, including national nuclear security and counter-terrorism solutions.
AWE is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at AWE, including women, BAME and people with disabilities.