|Reports to:||Head of Business Development|
|Practice group:||Marketing and Business Development|
|Purpose of role|
The core responsibilities of the Senior Business Development Manager are to lead, drive and advise on business development activity across our three Scotland offices, and the UK Industrials sector group. This role will focus on developing opportunities arising from our strengths as a full service law firm and our leading reputation. It will help shape our response to market changes, trends and developments. The emphasis will be on new business from existing clients, warm and cold targets, lead generation and client pursuit, working closely with a central proposals team on sector and service line opportunities, creating/developing multi-channel, sector based marketing campaigns and taking these to market (including to key accounts).
- Oversee Scotland and Industrials Sector group activity to create, manage, budget for and implement business and marketing plans. This will include acting as a strategic advisor to the groups in relation to the marketplace and how to approach it as well as a leader in the commercial implementation of these plans
- Participate in client facing, sales driven initiatives such as events, seminars, client workshops and roundtables and attend sales opportunities with partners and lawyers. In particular managing the 'Best in Scotland' initiative
- Manage the sales pipeline for the Scottish offices including coordinating their participation in pitches with a central proposals function, contributing to the progression of new business opportunities and driving action around the preparation for and follow up to marketing activities with a view to closing new business
- Chair and drive activity through regular 'go to market' group meetings as appropriate
- Access the resources of the firm to gather relevant research and market understanding and moreover use this to develop insight and actionable intelligence which can feed the marketing planning and business development process
- Engage with the Central Marketing function via a client/customer relationship to access campaigns support; the capture of experience; the delivery database support; press, media and comms and brand/collateral support
- Work with the communications team and PR to develop the firm's profile across our Scottish offices, and Industrials Sector group, through profile raising campaigns and supporting marketing activities, collateral and press
- Systematically measure performance in league tables and directories, agree target rankings; facilitate contribution to league tables and directories using consistent positioning messages; report on change in rankings and against targets set; refine approach as needed
- Apply a sophisticated approach to the use of data, web, SEO, analytics, business analysis, client targeting and the development of content to generate leads for pursuit
- Management responsibility for one business development Executive and one business development assistant based in our Warsaw hub; delivering leadership, day to day management and supervision, appraisals, regular update meetings and allocation/delegation of workload where necessary
- Chairing and driving activity through regular 'go to market' group meetings as appropriate and be a key champion of the Client Programme
- Manage other projects and initiatives as required
|Required experience, skills and attributes|
- Significant BD experience working in a professional services environment or other business to business organisation
- BD experience in Scotland is a distinct advantage
- Strong management and leadership skills are a must
- Experience of developing and implementing business and marketing plans, including budgeting
- Experience of creating and rolling out marketing campaigns
- Understanding of the basics of data driven and digital marketing
- Sales experience a distinct advantage
- Experience of driving through change in a challenging environment
- Drive, energy and the determination to create a rewarding and impactful role in an ambitious firm where change is occurring rapidly
- Strong commercial focus
- Able to interact positively at all levels and a good team player
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal and influencing skills
- Able to prioritise and multi-task particularly when working under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Able to demonstrate excellent customer facing skills
- Can demonstrate initiative and the ability to be proactive, while also being able to follow instructions and provide support to Partners and senior members of the Marketing & Business Development department
- Can carry out all responsibilities in a way which supports the practice’s values and promotes its equal opportunities and diversity principles
Dentons is the world's largest law firm, delivering quality and value to clients around the globe. Dentons is a leader on the Acritas Global Elite Brand Index, a BTI Client Service 30 Award winner and recognized by prominent business and legal publications for its innovations in client service, including founding Nextlaw Labs and the Nextlaw Global Referral Network. Dentons' polycentric approach and world-class talent challenge the status quo to advance client interests in the communities in which we live and work. www.dentons.com.
Diversity & Inclusion
Essential to our success as a global law firm is our ability to attract and retain the best talent from a diverse range of backgrounds. We want a work environment where everyone can reach their potential and we have an inclusive culture which respects individual differences.
We undertake and support a number of internal and external initiatives aimed at increasing diversity within the profession and we encourage all our partners and staff to get involved. We welcome you to learn more about diversity and inclusion at Dentons.
Dentons is committed to providing equal opportunities for all. We welcome applications from candidates with disabilities and support those in the workplace who have a disability. Any disability disclosure will be dealt with confidentially and sensitively and if you want to speak directly to a member of our team, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
If you are interested in applying for this position, we welcome direct applications via our careers page, but if you have any questions beforehand please email email@example.com – Enquiries only please, applications will not be accepted via email.
Please note that we will not accept unsolicited CV's sent to the business, nor will we accept any associated terms of business.