Senior Associate, Digital Economy
Ashurst's Digital Economy Transactions group
Ashurst is a leading global law firm with a history spanning almost 200 years, and clear strategy for our future growth. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing exceptional standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more please visit here.
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations.
This is not a TMT job. It is a job for someone who is currently a telecoms lawyer, who wants to do something more – to be something more - in the new digital economy.
Ashurst has identified the digital economy as one of the five critical areas of focus for the firm on an international basis, and so is investing heavily in developing the Digital Economy Transactions Group in London and internationally.
Recently the group has been very active in digital infrastructure, the evolution of telecoms. Significant transactions include assisting Facebook with the roll-out of 2Africa, the largest undersea cable linking Africa to Europe, the Middle east and beyond, Telxius on its arrangements with Telefonica in Germany to acquire 10,000 a further 2,400 towers and Virgin Media with a variety of strategic initiatives.
We are looking for a Senior Associate/Counsel to help continue the significant growth of the digital infrastructure practice, in the UK and internationally.
This represents an exciting opportunity to be part of a developing, strategic, practice in a firm that is putting strategic and financial backing behind its growth.
You will have the opportunity to:
- lead on projects;
- develop and lead client relationships with both existing and new clients;
- develop more junior members of the team;
- work with colleagues in other practice areas and offices;
- play a key role in developing thought leadership, including through presenting at seminars and conferences and issuing think-pieces on cutting edge technology issues; and
- be an ambassador for the digital economy practice across the firm.
Essential skills and experience:
The successful candidate is likely to:
- have significant relevant post qualification experience
- have private practice experience with a leading TMT team, possibly augmented with relevant in-house experience;
- strong experience in telecoms;
- be able to demonstrate a strong understanding of issues faced by clients in the face of the developing digital economy;
- be technically strong;
- be a real team player; and
- be able to demonstrate the entrepreneurial spirit and energy necessary to help push this important initiative forward.
Ascential, Asto Digital, Arenko Cleantech, BAI Communications, Brookfield Infrastructure, Digital Colony, Facebook, Goldman Sachs, Google, HM Government, John Laing, Macquarie, Nomura, NTT DoCoMo, O2, Polish ministry of Digital Affairs, Sopra Steria, State Street Bank & Trust, Telxius Telecom, Three, Uber, Virgin Media, Veon.
An established Associate Career Path Framework is in place clearly defining expectations and outlining opportunities for promotion. This position is in a key growth area for the practice and the firm and is likely to have very positive prospects for advancement.
Opportunities often arise for associates to spend time on secondment in house with a key client of the firm. From time to time, secondment opportunities also come up within other Ashurst offices in Europe, North America, Asia and Australia. Whilst we expect client secondments to be less of a focus for this role, as the candidate will be one of the more senior members of our group and so playing a key role in supporting the partners to develop the practice, we are currently seconding senior members of the team to Facebook.
Please note we are not accepting agency applications at this time.