Here at Chameleon, we hire smart and dedicated scientific experts, like you, who are keen to use their academic background in a career communicating complex scientific data. We offer a rare opportunity to work at the cutting edge of scientific discovery and within a very clear development pathway for those wishing to further their writing career in medical communications. In return, we ask that you do what you enjoy best – work with scientific concepts, data and therapeutic resources to develop outstanding content that will underpin our scientific communications programmes and that your clients will love. Simple, really!
At Chameleon we operate an agile working environment, with home working and flexible hours – and we have some excellent benefits, because we know how important wellbeing at work is to our teams. The work we do is rewarding and we actually see how it positively affects people, in real time, with our ‘Work with a Purpose' Patient Webinars. This is where we get to meet real patients, who tell us their story and how medical communications has helped them along the way. Having long standing trusted strategic partnerships with most of the leading pharmaceutical companies, we work in therapy areas such as Oncology, Rare Diseases, Ophthalmology, Diabetes and Cardiovascular – to name a few. With a genuine focus on quality and a real investment in training, we have a great personal development program - and with large global accounts, we can accommodate a wide-range of disciplines/job functions.
We are looking for a Scientific Director to join our team!
- The Scientific Director position involves team leadership overseeing content development and strategic direction of a writing team.
- You will be based in either or Central London (Southwark) or West London (Ealing) office
- You are able to understand the broad context of a therapy area, scientific data and clinical practice – possibly across more than one account.
- Of key importance is your ability to effectively delegate to your team and to guide reports in developing their skills, through mentoring and reviewing output to add value and ensure scientific accuracy.
- You will be expected to build, maintain, and lead scientific engagements with physicians, and effectively moderate client sessions.
Skills and abilities
- Strong leadership qualities, even when working under pressure, including: promoting team motivation, being and appearing to be in control, communicating company vision and culture, and having account strategic leadership within the context of writing abilities
- Initiative, common sense and a high level of independence
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, including when working under pressure
- Advanced experience in writing across a range of medical communications media without direct supervision
- A high degree of financial understanding and management
- Proactive management of client business
- Establishing and maintaining professional and productive client relationships
- Effective delegation to Senior Medical Writers (SMW), Medical Writers (MW) and Associate Medical Writers (AMW) in the team
- Clear communication to team, across departments and to senior management
Qualifications and experience
- Degree (2:1 minimum) plus higher degree (PhD or Masters) in a biological or medically related subject, preference for higher degree
- Significant writing and leadership experience in a medical communications agency or similar environment
- Good working knowledge of the pharmaceutical industry and medical communications
- Up-to-date knowledge of relevant regulatory guidelines and ethical working codes
- Well-trained in all forms of medical communications and education
- Excellent PowerPoint and Reference Manager/Endnote skills
Character and personal qualities
- Good team player
- Patient, calm, independent and responsive
- Enthusiastic and entrepreneurial
- Well organised and with good time-management
- Great eye for detail
- Keen to mentor and develop other
What we offer
- A competitive salary
- Contributory pension scheme
- 25 days’ annual holiday, rising to 30 day's after 5 years' service
- Life assurance
- Subsidised BUPA Private Medical Insurance
- Subsidised BUPA Dental Insurance
- Enhanced maternity and paternity leave
- Charity day (additional to annual leave)
- Summer Fridays
- Subsidised gym membership
- Free annual flu vaccinations
- Confidential employee assistance programme
- Season ticket/travel loan
- Employee referral bonus
- Annual eye test support
- Comprehensive training and mentoring programmes
- Additional retail discounts and benefits available through the Omnicom Group
- A rewarding workplace and a fun team environment
Chameleon Communications International partners with many of the major top 20 pharmaceutical clients to create the scientific foundation and clinical communications that support the successful development and launch of their brands. We work across a range of media including journals, congresses, and digital formats. Our work spans the globe across Europe, Asia Pacific, North and South America. Chameleon received the Queen’s Award for International Trade in 2010
With over 200 people working in New York, New Jersey, Los Angeles, London and Manchester, Chameleon is a member of the Healthcare Consultancy Group (HCG), a global company in the Omnicom Group of independently managed healthcare communications companies dedicated to delivering accurate, strategic, and compelling scientific communications to the full range of stakeholders, including physicians, allied healthcare professionals, payers, patients, and caregivers.
The companies within the Healthcare Consultancy Group are Equal Opportunity Employers. All applicants will be considered without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, age, national origin, citizenship status, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status or any category or class of person protected by law.