Role Title: Sanctions SeniorManager - Trade Export Controls
- Reporting to the Group Head ofSanctions Policy, Governance & Oversight, the job holder will beresponsible for:
- Supporting and maintaining theGroup’s export controls framework (policies, procedures, systems and controls)to meet legal and regulatory obligations.
- Working with the business toupdate and enhance internal controls, where required, to sustain a robust frameworkfor export controls so activities remain within risk appetite.
- Staying at the forefront ofkey export controls-related legislative and regulatory changes, and developingappropriate policy and framework changes as necessary.
- Supporting the discharge of riskstewardship responsibilities for export controls and advising the business onrelevant risks associated with existing and new business activities, productsand services.
- Providing timely advice to thelines of business across all Regions on export controls related matters.
- Working with the business onmedium/longer term initiatives to design, develop and implement additional mitigationcontrols and strategies as necessary in response to exports controls regulatorydevelopments.
- Advising senior stakeholderson export controls risks, including new and emerging risks.
- Developing a communicationprogramme for export controls matters and proactively issuing periodic updatesto relevant stakeholders on key developments.
- Developing and delivering anexport controls training programme to enhance capabilities across the FCSanctions teams globally.
- Participating in and workingwith relevant industry bodies and groups (e.g. UK Finance) on any relevant exportcontrols-related initiatives, trends and proposals.
- Developing and maintainingappropriate export controls-related Management Information and metrics.
- Impact on the Business:
- Responsible for supporting andmaintaining the Group’s export controls framework (policies, procedures,systems and controls) to meet legal and regulatory obligations.
- Supporting the Group Head ofSanctions Policy, Governance & Oversight in their discharge of riskstewardship activities relating to export controls.
- Promoting consistentapplication of policy and procedural requirment across the business andfunctions.
- Act as the group levelescalation point for complex export controls related issues.
- Communication with the linesof busienss and functions on all matters relating to export controlscompliance.
- First line of Defence -Challenge and identify any potential export controls risks inherent in globalline of business decisions and client activity through engagement with relevantstakeholders and forums.
- Compliance/second line ofdefence - Liaise with relevant stakeholders within Group FC Sanctions, RegionalFC Sanctions, and Country FC Sanctions teams to provide support on exportcontrols-related matters.
- Ensure that the Global Head of Sanctions Policy, Governance & Oversight, and the Global Head of Sanctions are appropriately advised of material export controls related issues.
- Third line of Defence - Workcollegiately with Internal Audit to ensure effective deployment of agreed auditstrategies, providing support to all Policy and Governance team actions.
- Deliver fair outcomes for ourcustomers and ensure own conduct maintains the orderly and transparentoperation of financial markets.
- Communicate a clear vision forthe FC Group Sanctions team that is aligned to the overall HSBC vision, valuesand goals, and inspires and engages people to create an inclusive, highperforming, customer-centred culture.
- Support the leadership team toattract, retain and develop the capability and talent to provide for successionand ensure delivery of business objectives.
- Share best practice to helpothers to ensure that they maximise their performance, meet the requiredstandards, and continuously develop their capabilities and experience.
- Support the leadship team toencourage constructive cross-country and cross-business teamwork and tochallenge actions and behaviours that are not consistent with HSBC's diversitypolicy and/or the best interests of the business and its customers.
- Provide support to manage theprocesses and infrastructure needed to deliver agreed team plans and targetsand working with colleagues to maximise end to end integration, effectivenessand efficiency.
- Assist in maintaining a robustand efficient control environment across Compliance to ensure good operational,financial and project management and compliance with HSBC policy andprocedures, together with early identification and effective resolution orescalation of issues that arise.
- Support in the development,implementation and maintenance of an appropriate management information,analysis and reporting framework that supports and informs timely and effectivebusiness management and decision making at all levels.
- Support the implementation andoversight of relevant policy and governance frameworks, procedures, practicesand standards to ensure quality, effective risk management and regulatorycompliance.
- The jobholder will ensure thefair treatment of our customers is at the heart of everything we do, bothpersonally and as an organisation.
- This will be achieved byconsistently displaying the behaviours that form part of the HSBC values andculture and adhering to HSBC risk policies and procedures, includingnotification and escalation of any concerns and taking required action inrelation to points raised by audit and/or external regulators.
- The jobholder is responsiblefor managing and mitigating operational risks in their day to day operations.In executing these responsibilities, the Group has adopted risk management andinternal control structure referred to as the ‘Three Lines of Defence’. Thejobholder should ensure they understand their position within the Three Linesof Defence, and act accordingly in line with operational risk policy,escalating in a timely manner where they are unsure of actions required.
- The jobholder hasresponsibility for overseeing and ensuring that Operational risks are managedin accordance with the Group Standards Manual, Risk FIM, & relevantguidelines & standards. Thejobholder should comply with the detailed expectations and responsibilities fortheir core role in operational risk management through ensuring all actionstake account of operational risks, and through using the Operational RiskManagement Framework appropriately to manage those risks.
- This will be achieved by:Continuously reassessing risks associated with the role and inherent in thebusiness, taking account of changing economic or market conditions, legal andregulatory requirements, operating procedures and practices, managementrestructurings, and the impact of new technology.
- Ensuring all actions takeaccount of the likelihood of operational risk occurring, addressing areas ofconcern in conjunction with Risk and relevant line colleagues, and also byensuring that actions resulting from points raised by internal or externalaudits, and external regulators, are correctly implemented in a timely fashion.
Observation of InternalControls
- The jobholder will adhere to,and be able to demonstrate adherence to, internal controls and will implementthe Group compliance policy by adhering to all relevant processes/procedures.
- The term ‘compliance’ embracesall relevant financial services laws, rules and codes with which the businesshas to comply. This will be achieved by adherence to all relevant procedures,keeping appropriate records and, where appropriate, by the timelyimplementation of internal and external audit points, including issues raisedby external regulators.
Knowledge &Experience / Qualifications
- Detailed knowledge of exportcontrols related regulations and laws, in particular US, UK and EU, gainedthrough working in professional services or in legal practice.
- Experience of advising seniorstakeholders (internal or external) on export controls regulations andcompliance obligations.
- Experience in developinginternal compliance programmes/control frameworks for managing export controlsrisks, preferably in the financial services sector or other services sector,would be an advantage.
- Experience of working within apolicy driven environment and able to influence the content and shape of thepolicy and risk appetite positions.
- Able to translate reguationsand laws into an operational internal control framework to enable compliancewith the regulatory and legal requirements.
- Ability to communicate withsenior stakeholders and explain complex regulations/laws to non-subject matterexperts.
- Ability to manage numerous stakeholdersand conflicting priorities.
- Lateral thinker with anability to interpret and solve complex issues.
- Excellent communicator withstrong inter-personal and influencing skills.
- Experience of dealing withregulatory matters and confident interaction with Regulators.
- Ability to develop practical,cost effective solutions to complex global issues.
- Knowledge of the HSBC Group structure, its business and personnel preferred but not essential
We are a diverse workforce and it is part of ourorganizational culture, it reflects our belief that diversity of thought,background and perspective make HSBC a stronger organization. We strive toimplement a culture that is inclusive, diverse, positive andperformance-oriented. Having a diverse workforce allows us to benefit from avariety of perspectives and strengthens our local and globalcompetitiveness. We value diversity in our workforce and encourage allqualified candidates to apply from a variety of perspectives and strengthensour local and global competitiveness. We value diversity in our workforceand encourage all qualified candidates to apply.
As a business operatingin markets all around the world, we believe diversity brings benefits for ourcustomers, our business and our people. This is why HSBC is committed to beingan inclusive employer and encourages applications from all suitably qualifiedapplicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, genderidentity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.
We want everyone to beable to fulfil their potential which is why we provide a range of flexibleworking arrangements and family friendly policies.