- Requisition ID: 223048, Safety Supervisor
- Relocation Authorised: National - Single
- Project: NS&E UK
- Location: Various Locations, UK
- Other Requirements: Ability to obtain and maintain required SC security clearance
Bechtel is a trusted engineering, construction and project management partner to industry and government. Differentiated by the quality of our people and our relentless drive to deliver the most successful outcomes, we align our capabilities to our customers’ objectives to create a lasting positive impact. Since 1898, we have helped customers complete more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents that have created jobs, grown economies, improved the resiliency of the world's infrastructure, increased access to energy, resources, and vital services, and made the world a safer, cleaner place.
Bechtel serves the Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Oil, Gas & Chemicals; and Mining & Metals markets. Our services span from initial planning and investment, through start-up and operations. www.bechtel.com
Multi-year UK nuclear infrastructure programme for which Bechtel will provide PMO (including Project, Engineering, Commercial and Construction Management) services. This programme involves a multi—billion investment in nuclear and non-nuclear facilities.
The Safety Supervisor will have a direct reporting line to the ES&H Manager and a matrix reporting line to the GBU’s ES&H Functional Management.
- Plans and coordinates work requiring independent judgment and experience in the application of standard, specialised safety techniques and formulation of safety procedures and/or plans to reduce potential identified safety hazards.
- Supervises and gives technical advice and direction to Safety Specialists
- Prepares safety reports and reviews reports drafted by others.
- Assists in the integration of ES&H requirements into the planning, permitting, design, and construction.
- Assists teams to incorporate specialized ES&H requirements, evaluates and applies risk management principles, and acts as field safety coordinator/inspector.
- Ensures that requirements are evaluated and communicated to achieve ESH zero incident performance.
- Provides ES&H technical assistance to other project personnel.
- Guides, coaches, and motivates others to implement ES&H policies and standards.
- Promotes integrity, technical competence, and commitment to ES&H.
- Provides technical support to feasibility studies, site assessment studies, safety cases, work packages and risk assessments.
- Works with Engineering, Procurement and Construction to ensure that ES&H requirements are incorporated into designs, processes and procedures
- Liaises with contractor safety personnel, oversees contractor ESH activities and undertakes daily monitoring of work practices of Bechtel and construction contractors.
- Attends meetings with customers, project team members, and contractors / subcontractors to communicate on ES&H requirements and lessons learned
- Conducts project incident investigations and notifications; documents factors contributing to an incident and ensures the preparation of required reports.
- Supports project/site HSE committee and facilitates the craft-based leadership program
- Coordinates inspection tours by senior management
- Delivers project ES&H inductions and other ES&H training of project personnel.
- Ensures environmental compliance of construction activities to contractual commitments, permits, and the Environmental Management Plan (EMP).
- Reviews Emergency response plans including rescue, emergency transportation, and evacuation for foreseeable incidents and observes regular drills and exercises.
- Supports occupational health specialists in delivery of D&A testing, occupational health screening, case management and wellness activities
- NEBOSH or equivalent Diploma in Occupational Safety, Health, Environmental Management or related technical discipline.
- Working towards professional membership of relevant UK Institute e.g. Grad.IOSH, Tech. IOSH
- The position is open to United Kingdom (UK) Nationals only. UK/US dual citizens may be considered.
- This position is also subject to a successful interview and agreement upon terms and conditions of employment. Candidate must be able to obtain an SC security clearance.
- Experience in safety compliance inspection/assessment during construction.
- Knowledge of ES&H systems, principles, terminology and methodologies
- Demonstrated knowledge of UK ES&H laws/regulations, and Approved Codes of Practice for minimizing potential ES&H impacts during project execution
- Experience of delivering ES&H training programs in construction
- Experience and demonstrated skill in identifying trends, investigating solutions and determining corrective actions.
- Skill in the preparation and presentation of oral and written reports and training.
- Knowledge of Bechtel’s ES&H policies and procedures
- Experience on UK nuclear and/or defence projects
- Understanding of the UK Nuclear Site Licence conditions
- Experience of incident investigations in a highly regulated industry
- Technical knowledge of hazardous materials and waste management
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is among the most respected engineering, project management, and construction companies in the world. We stand apart for our ability to get the job done right—no matter how big, how complex, or how remote. Bechtel operates through four global business units that specialize in infrastructure; mining and metals; nuclear, security and environmental; and oil, gas, and chemicals. Since its founding in 1898, Bechtel has worked on more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents. Today, our 53,000 colleagues team with customers, partners, and suppliers on diverse projects in nearly 40 countries.
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without
regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected
veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.