- Requisition ID: 223046, Safety & Health Manager
- Relocation Authorised: National - Single
- Project: NS&E UK
- Location: Various Locations, UK
- Other Requirements: Ability to obtain and maintain required SC security clearance
Bechtel is a trusted engineering, construction and project management partner to industry and government. Differentiated by the quality of our people and our relentless drive to deliver the most successful outcomes, we align our capabilities to our customers’ objectives to create a lasting positive impact. Since 1898, we have helped customers complete more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents that have created jobs, grown economies, improved the resiliency of the world's infrastructure, increased access to energy, resources, and vital services, and made the world a safer, cleaner place.
Bechtel serves the Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Oil, Gas & Chemicals; and Mining & Metals markets. Our services span from initial planning and investment, through start-up and operations. www.bechtel.com
Multi-year UK nuclear infrastructure programme for which Bechtel will provide PMO (including Project, Engineering, Commercial and Construction Management) services. This programme involves a multi—billion investment in nuclear and non-nuclear facilities.
The ES&H Manager will have a direct reporting line to the Project Manager and a matrix reporting line to the GBU’s ES&H Functional Management.
- Integrates UK regulations and client requirements with Bechtel NS&E standards to develop the project Environmental, Safety, and Health Plan.
- Combines the client and Bechtel safety cultures to form a strong project safety culture
- Develops the project-specific ES&H policies, plans, procedures and systems
- Ensures that complex requirements are evaluated and applies appropriate ES&H risk management principles, formulating plans and methodologies suitable for achieving and maintaining zero incidents.
- Provides leadership for the development and maintenance of a high-performance project ES&H team.
- Provides technical assistance and supervisory direction to other ES&H project personnel.
- Maintains overall responsibility for project ES&H execution, ensuring project is adhering to contract, customer and Bechtel ES&H performance expectations
- Guides, coaches, and motivates team performance and those directly associated with implementing ES&H policies and standards.
- Promotes integrity, technical competence, and commitment to ES&H.
- Provides technical support to feasibility studies, site assessment studies, safety cases, work packages and risk assessments.
- Works with Engineering, Procurement and Construction to ensure that ES&H requirements are incorporated into designs, processes and procedures
- Supervises daily monitoring of work practices of Bechtel and construction contractors.
- Leads meetings with customers, project team members, and contractors/subcontractors to communicate on project specific ES&H mitigation plans, training programs, lessons learned and technical reports.
- Coordinates with the GBU ES&H Manager in personnel activities, such as recruitment, compensation and employee development.
- Supervises and conducts project incident investigations and notifications; documents factors contributing to an incident and ensures the preparation of required reports.
- Ensures Lessons learned are institutionalized in project procedures and fed back to the GBU through Biweekly reviews.
- Ensures all regulatory reporting is reviewed and submitted in line with legal deadlines e.g. RIDDOR.
- Champions and supports project/site HSE committee and facilitates the implementation of a craft-based leadership program
- Coordinates inspection tours of project/facility by regulators. Accompanies the inspectors during the inspection; ensures that all inspection reports are recorded in appropriate systems.
- Manages implementation of project ES&H induction and ongoing ES&H training of project personnel.
- Manages the development of cross-training of ES&H personnel in professional or discipline-specific skills, techniques, and procedures
- Ensures environmental compliance of construction activities to contractual commitments, permits, and the Environmental Management Plan (EMP).
- Prepares Emergency Response Plans including rescue, emergency transportation, and evacuation for foreseeable incidents and coordinates regular drills and exercises.
- Manages the operation of occupational health and first aid treatment facilities.
- Consults with occupational health specialists in developing procedures required to support the project for occupational health screening, case management and wellness activities
- Degree, or Diploma in Occupational Safety, Health, Environmental Management or related technical discipline.
- Professional membership of relevant UK Institute (CMIOSH, MIIRSM, IEMA) demonstrating Continuing Professional Development
- The position is open to United Kingdom (UK) Nationals only. UK/US dual citizens may be considered.
- This position is also subject to a successful interview and agreement upon terms and conditions of employment. Candidate must be able to obtain an SC security clearance.
- Significant Construction Health and Safety management experience
- Current knowledge of UK H&S and Environmental regulatory requirements including CDM2015
- Knowledge of ES&H sciences/engineering systems, principles, terminology and methodologies
- Extensive and demonstrated knowledge of UK ES&H laws/regulations and regulatory/resource agencies permitting processes and responsibilities, industry standards for ES&H compliance, and Approved Codes of Practice for minimizing potential ES&H impacts during project execution
- Experience in the recruitment, direction, administration and training of ES&H teams
- Experience of establishing and managing ES&H training programs in construction
- Experience and demonstrated skill in identifying trends, investigating solutions and determining actions.
- Skilled in the preparation and presentation of reports and training.
- Experience of leading incident investigations and communicating lessons learned in a highly regulated industry
- Knowledge of Bechtel’s organizational structure, ES&H policies and procedures
- Leadership experience on UK nuclear and/or defence projects
- Understanding of the UK nuclear regulation regime including Nuclear Site Licence conditions
- Experience of interfacing with UK regulators including ONR and HSE
- Technical knowledge of hazardous materials and waste management
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is among the most respected engineering, project management, and construction companies in the world. We stand apart for our ability to get the job done right—no matter how big, how complex, or how remote. Bechtel operates through four global business units that specialize in infrastructure; mining and metals; nuclear, security and environmental; and oil, gas, and chemicals. Since its founding in 1898, Bechtel has worked on more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents. Today, our 53,000 colleagues team with customers, partners, and suppliers on diverse projects in nearly 40 countries.
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without
regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected
veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.