About Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We're committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
The Role Responsibilities
SABRE is Standard Chartered’s Analytics Booking and Risk Engine and is the strategic risk and PnL platform for Financial Markets. The development team is a world class technology group in Standard Chartered bank to provide technical solutions to support the bank’s Financial Markets business as well as support requirements from other projects with a wider scope such as regulatory books of work. We bring a deep understanding of the market, a scientific approach, and innovative technologies to bear on the challenges of profitable trading in the world's highly competitive environment. This is a rare opportunity to get into an organization working with smart, great technologists globally in financial markets domain. The culture in SABRE is open, intellectual, and fun. Learning opportunities are plentiful: organized classes and seminars; freewheeling discussions; intensive one-on-one mentorships. Career advancement is always waiting for those high-energized talents to pursue.
The successful candidate will lead the technical development and rollout of SABRE to meet Margin Reform regulatory requirements. The candidate will be a natural leader and mentor with a driven yet pragmatic, delivery focused mindset and a desire to deliver constant business value through the effective and innovative use of technology with a proven background in delivering high quality business critical software. The candidate will be expected to take ownership, responsibility and accountability for critical deliveries. In addition the successful candidate will have come from leading in a mature and demonstrable agile background and be comfortable dealing with the resistance that comes with change.
The candidate will work closely with the other teams and senior stakeholders in order to design and implement critical strategic solutions whilst collaborating and engaging with Business Stakeholders to deliver to exacting requirements. The candidate is expected to work in a dynamic global team with business analysts, project managers, business stakeholders and other technical experts across multiple locations.
- Work closely with the Project Manager, and a team of developers to deliver Java and Scala components to internal business users
- Demonstrate a systematic and disciplined architectural, system design and programming approach•Deeply passionate about best-practice software design principles, you and your team will write robust code along with a high-level of test coverage
- Self-starter who can drive/facilitate requirements and development effort
- Design smart and scalable solutions following the bank standards
- Coordinate with other teams in Technology
- Develop, prepare and maintain system documentation, including program descriptions and operational procedures
- Act as the second line of support during production problems
Our Ideal Candidate
- Some years of experience managing development teams in an agile environment
- Strong hands on development with investment banking IT experience
- Strong Java development experience working in a performance focused concurrent environment
- Good understanding of risk measures and experience generating risk in at least 2 of the following asset classes: FX, Rates, Commodities, Credit
- Good understanding of distributed computing, any experience of using Cloud computing is beneficial
- Experience of managing stakeholders and team members in multiple locations
- Experience with Hadoop/Spark/ Scala could be advantageous
Development Tools and Methodologies:
- Experience of TDD and BDD in a commercial environment
- Exposure to continuous build and deployment solutions such as Jenkins
- Able to work within an agile environment delivering software incrementally
Other Preferred Skills:
- Strong analytical & problem solving and creative skills
- Good communication skills in both written and oral English
- Ability to be organised and multi-task on different requirements across various stakeholders, and to work independently and under pressure
- Cultural sensitivity and awareness to work with a range of people from diverse background and geographies
- Should have a technical or numerate degree in subjects such as Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics or Economics
Technical skills (Non-essential but beneficial for this role)
- Development experience on functional language, such as Haskell, is a plus
Domain Knowledge (Non-essential but very beneficial for this role):
- Knowledge of financial instruments and derivatives, trading and risk management, market data, and market risk processes and methodologies
- Understanding of the SIMM model or any margin reform business knowledge
Diversity & Inclusion
Standard Chartered is committed to diversity and inclusion. We believe that a work environment which embraces diversity will enable us to get the best out of the broadest spectrum of people to sustain strong business performance and competitive advantage. By building an inclusive culture, each employee can develop a sense of belonging, and have the opportunity to maximize their personal potential.
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.