Costain helps to improve people’s lives with integrated, leading edge, smart infrastructure solutions across the UK’s energy, water, transportation and defence markets. We help our clients improve their business performance by increasing capacity, improving customer service, safeguarding security, enhancing resilience, decarbonising and delivering increased efficiency. Our vision is to be the UK’s leading smart infrastructure solutions company. We will achieve this by focusing on blue chip clients whose major spending plans are underpinned by strategic national needs, regulatory commitments, legislation or essential performance requirements. We offer our clients leading edge solutions that are digitally optimised through the following five services which cover the whole lifecycle of their assets: future-shaping strategic consultancy; consultancy and advisory; digital technology solutions; asset optimisation and complex programme delivery. Our culture and values underpin everything we do.
For more information visit www.costain.com
The Regional Delivery Partnership is a framework contract with Highways England for the development, design and construction of capital road projects that form part of the Regional Investment Programme during Road Period 1 (2015 to 2020) and Road Period 2 (2020 to 2025). Costain have been awarded two lots; Lot 7 (East Region) & Lot 8 (North Region), and one standalone contract A30 Chiverton to Carland Cross.
This vacancy relates to Lot 7 (East Region) for the delivery of A12 J19-25 Widening project. The A12 is a strategic road connecting London with Essex, Suffolk and the Haven Ports. The scheme, A12 Chelmsford to A120 Widening, is approximately 25km between junctions 19 to 25 and involves upgrading the route to dual three lane carriageway consisting of both online and offline new build. The approximate value is £1bn.
The role will primarily be based in project offices in London with visits to Designer and Client offices also required. There will also be an element of Home Working included.
Flexible working: We welcome you to ask about the flexibility you need. This might be part-time, remote working, or compressed hours for example. Anyone who applies for a role can ask about flexibility at interview. In return, we will explore what is possible for the role.
The Risk Manager will be reporting to the Senior Commercial Manager and working with an integrated team of Costain and Jacobs personnel to develop the detailed design, delivery, and handover of the allocated scheme. Proficient in the role, gained through deep and broad experience built on concepts and principles. Disciplined and commercially astute with the ability to identify, analyse and develop responses to project risks, taking ownership and responsibility. The Risk Manager shall be responsible for the management of the implementation and ongoing assurance that at all times the Company’s governance and any contract specific requirements are adhered to. Excellent communication and customer facing skills are essential, along with interaction with other members of the project team (including design delivery partners).
This role is responsible for helping to ensure that the client and project team meet their risk management challenges through improved risk practice and awareness.
- Manage all project Risk Register(s) including the main project register which will be in the clients risk management database (Xactium)
- Utilising suitable techniques, facilitate the effective identification of risk across the project.
- Develop, implement and oversee effective and credible risk response and risk mitigation plans
- Develop and implement a systematic approach to risk review, ensuring that risks are robustly and routinely considered
- Ensure that the senior management team, are sufficiently sighted on and familiar with the project risk position
- Act as a conduit for the escalation of risk in line with established processes
- Be prepared to challenge risk owners and other individuals on their response to risk
- Compile cost models and schedule models (QSRA) when required
- Through liaison with commercial, manage the project risk allocation, including the drawdown and release of risk
- Produce risk reports and dashboards in line with project requirements
- Develop a positive risk culture within the project, ensuring buy-in to the risk process and promoting the value that risk management provides
- Promote awareness of risk management techniques and practices across the project
- Contribute to the continual improvement in risk processes and the continual development of a risk mature culture across the project
- Ensuring appropriate records are maintained in line with the contract requirements and supporting the resolution of any contractual issues.
- Post-graduate commercial experience in the construction industry with demonstrable track record of achievement
- Demonstrable financial and commercial acumen
- Practical approach, logical thought process and a methodical way of working
- A creative, strategic and innovative approach to problem-solving
- Extensive knowledge of office management systems including document control.
- Proven negotiating and team-working skills demonstrating the ability to motivate, develop and lead teams to deliver to or above target levels of performance
- Strong analytical skills
- Demonstrable legal, contractual and construction knowledge and experience
- Proficient in implementing and delivering strategic objectives and associated change programmes
- Confidence and ability to assert influence
- The ability to constantly improve and evolve as a commercial leader, taking account of and enabling our company’s corporate strategy
- Ability to maintain a measured approach in a challenging and dynamic commercial environment
- Experience working for Highways England on complex delivery projects
- Ability to work digital by default and develop data to drive decision making
You’ll be a welcomed member of the wider team, with opportunities to take on additional responsibility, join one of our networks for women, military or LGBT+ staff, and participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador).
Your personal and professional development is important to us. We welcome a discussion about how we can support you with further study, or professional membership or attainment for example.
It is expected that you will work to be a part of the wider project team, living by the programmes expected values. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Costain closely monitors job applications, to ensure an inclusive recruitment process. To ensure we are able to maintain this, and to recruit a diverse workforce, we encourage candidates to complete the diversity form as part of their application so we are able to monitor and improve our approach to diversity. Please note, all responses are anonymous and you do not have to provide a response.
We listened to our employees so our Core Benefits are funded by us and include a Group Pension Scheme, Employee Assistance Programme, Life Assurance, Income Protection and funded membership to a Professional Institute. In addition to this we also offer a Private Healthcare Scheme, Private Dental Scheme, Cycle to Work, Volunteering Days and Save as You Earn Scheme.
At Costain we aim to be an accessible, diverse and inclusive organisation to continue to meet our customers’ needs. We will be industry leading in our approach and people from all backgrounds will be proud to work for Costain. Our goal is to have a workforce that is representative of society.
We actively encourage applications from candidates who have a relationship with the armed forces community whether as a currently serving member or reservist, ex-military or wounded personnel or as a member of a service family.