|Job Title||Restructuring Manager – Employer Covenant Review Team|
|Service Line Information||In Restructuring our clients and wider stakeholders vary considerably and include corporates (from mid-market to blue-chip), lawyers, hedge funds, lenders, PE houses, and public sector organisations. |
Our service offerings develop in line with market demands and include advice on:
- Insolvency - both execution and advisory
- Exit planning and implementation
- Cash management - both crisis and strategic
- Lender advisory
- Corporate financial restructuring
- Operational restructuring, including turnaround, planning and implementation
- Impaired loan advisory services
- Chief restructuring officers
- Insurance solutions - insolvency services aimed exclusively at insurance companies.
|KPMG Overview||KPMG is part of a global network of firms that offers Audit, Tax & Pensions, Consulting, Deal Advisory and Technology services. Through the talent of over 16,000 colleagues, we bring our creativity and insight to our clients’ most critical challenges.|
With offices across the UK, we work with everyone from small start-ups and individuals to major multinationals, in virtually every industry imaginable. Our work is often complex, yet our vision is simple: to be the clear choice for our clients, for our people and for the communities we work in.
KPMG’s Restructuring Employer Covenant Review Team are looking for a Manager to join our expanding National team, with this role based primarily in Birmingham.
The team of trusted advisors offer a full range of services to stressed and distressed businesses, ranging from formal insolvency through to advising profitable businesses on enhancing value and solving issues.
The Midlands & South Restructuring team, where the vacancy exists, is made up of approximately 65 people, led by a team of three partners and five directors. This specific role would see the successful candidate joining this Midlands practice as well as national team dedicated to Pensions focussed Restructuring work.
Work in this specific role centres on assessing the financial strength of the companies that are responsible for funding defined benefit pension schemes, and assessing how much these companies can afford to pay to their schemes to meet the funding shortfall.
Our work is hands on – as well as producing concise reports, we are in the boardroom providing direct strategic and negotiation support, and then implementing our recommendations.
We work for both trustees and corporates, including some of the largest and most complex businesses in the UK. Our work falls into three areas:
1) Assessing the financial strength of the business supporting the scheme for the trustees or helping the corporate present their financial strength to their scheme trustees/advisors;
2) Assessing the impact of corporate activity on the level of financial support offered to the scheme – e.g. understanding the impact of M&A activity, business reorganisations, refinancings, etc. Again, we work for both corporates and trustees, often helping to design and implement structures and solutions; and
3) Dealing with situations where the size of the scheme threatens the ability of the sponsoring company/group to be able to continue to trade. This requires innovative solutions, robust financial analysis and excellent negotiation skills.
We work closely with other parts of KPMG including Pensions Advisory, Transaction Services, Corporate Finance and various sector teams. In many situations, a multi-functional team is deployed.
The role requires strong accounting analysis, report writing skills and a commercial mind-set.
Applicants should be ready to work in a dynamic, flexible and fast paced environment. We work with a wide variety of clients, from small privately owned enterprises through to FTSE 100 and high profile businesses. Applicants should expect to work across all sectors.
Roles and Responsibilities
To be an effective Manager within the Employer Covenant team, and in this role specifically, you will undertake the following:
- Build strong, trusted adviser relationships with senior management and other key stakeholders during engagements (including trustees, solicitors and actuaries);
- Manage teams of colleagues working on engagements, ensuring effective delegation and also multiple work stream delivery;
- Manage engagements and projects to scope, time, quality and budget complying with KPMG engagement management practices;
- Appraise situations (which can be challenging & fast developing) and look to develop innovative solutions, assessing options for businesses and/or stakeholders;
- Communicate views and insights (both in writing and verbally) in an effective and compelling manner to clients and KPMG colleagues, able to adjust style to circumstances;
- Lead the design and development of client ready deliverables with minimal Director and Partner input;
- Coach and develop team members providing high quality developmental feedback;
- Identify opportunities for the wider firm; and
- Involvement in business development activities, including developing pitches and proposals to win new work.
Qualifications and Skills
- Good time management and organisational skills, together with the ability to prioritise tasks;
- Strong financial and analytical skills, with relevant accountancy qualification.
Experience and Background
- Prior experience of undertaking employer covenant work is not essential. Up front training and continuous coaching will be provided.
- Strong commercial and business acumen, with evidence of experience;
- Demonstrable experience in leading workstreams, advising and working alongside a range of stakeholders;
- Ability to work innovatively and ‘self-start’;
- Desire to build wide advisory expertise and develop knowledge of the team’s offerings;
- Ability to communicate well with operational and financial staff at all levels;
- An ability to produce high quality, detailed and accurate work, and produce concise and creative reports and presentations;
- Enjoy working in a dynamic, flexible and fast paced project environment;
- Willingness to embrace work across all sectors;
- Willingness to undertake some travel, albeit this is typically limited to day trips.
|Our Deal||If the chance to work with interesting clients and innovative technology wasn’t rewarding enough, we’ll motivate you in other ways too. At KPMG you can expect real responsibilities and opportunities to grow professionally. |
‘Our Deal’ sets out all the different ways you’ll be rewarded at KPMG. Among other things you can benefit from honest conversations about your career as well as a range of other rewards. In all these ways and more, we have created an environment that can bring out the best in you.
|Flexible Working||While some of our client-facing professionals can be required to travel regularly, and at times be based at client sites, we are supportive where possible of helping you to achieve a balance between your home and work demands. |
We are happy to discuss individual requirements and our range of flexible working arrangements could be of interest. Furthermore, as part of the recruitment process, we can put you in touch with people who work flexibly so you can understand from them what our culture is like.
|Applying with a Disability||KPMG are proud to be an inclusive, equal opportunity employer and we seek to attract and retain the best people from the widest possible talent pool. As a member of the Business Disability Forum we're committed to ensuring that you are treated fairly throughout our Recruitment Process. Should you be successful after the initial application stage, please discuss any reasonable adjustments that you may require, with your recruitment contact.|
KPMG's commitment to diversity
We are proud of the value we place on individuality; we want you to bring your full self to work and truly maximise your potential. We believe that your individuality helps us to deliver the best results for our clients. Diversity of background, diversity of experience, diversity of perspective - that's the KPMG difference. But, don't take our word for it, find out more about diversity at KPMG.
Returning to work after a break
At KPMG, we appreciate that returning to work after an extended career break can be daunting. We understand that those with experience who have taken a career break have a wealth of experience and knowledge to offer our organisation, which helps us to achieve our business goals. We will support you to refresh your skills, develop your confidence and provide a supportive network across the firm to help you best integrate into the working environment. This role welcomes applications for individuals who have been out of work for 18 months or more and who have previous relevant experience.
Policy for Agencies
KPMG has a commitment to sourcing candidates directly and as such we do not accept speculative CV’s from agencies. Please check here to see our policy on agencies: Policy