Spotify Lab Locations - New York, Boston, London
Areas of expertise: Machine Learning, Language Technologies, Information Retrieval, Human-Computer Interaction, Algorithmic Bias
Spotify’s mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity—by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the opportunity to enjoy and be inspired by it. We are looking for Research Scientists for Spotify’s Personalization organization.
Personalization is a high impact team that is building the next generation technologies aimed at making every user interaction with Spotify amazing through personalization and discovery. Our goal is to deliver the right content to the right user at the right time in order to maximize user satisfaction.
You will be part of an interdisciplinary team focusing on ensuring that the foundations of Spotify technologies are at or above the state of the art and, in the process, redefine the state of the art for the field and contributing to the wider research community by publishing papers. Our team has strong ties internally to product groups as well as externally to the research community.
What you’ll do:
- You will participate in cutting edge research in one of Machine Learning, Language Technologies, Information Retrieval, Human-Computer Interaction, Algorithmic Bias.
- You will apply your scientific knowledge to analyze and collect data, perform analyses, identify problems, devise solutions and construct methodologies, including metrics and best practices, and conduct experiments to validate these.
- You will work on practical applications such as recommendation, search, voice and language understanding, and areas related to music and podcast streaming.
- You will work in collaboration with other scientists, engineers, product managers, designers, user researchers, and analysts across Spotify to design creative solutions to challenging problems.
- You will work on projects that cut across Spotify’s organization, including areas such as product, marketing, and content.
- You will have product impact, while working on and further developing a long-term research roadmap.
- External engagement such as publishing, giving talks, and being an active community member at top conferences is encouraged.
Who you are:
- You have a PhD in either computer science, human-computer interaction, data science, computational social science, machine learning, information retrieval, natural language processing or related areas.
- You will have a strong knowledge of data mining, machine learning, human-computer interaction, evaluation, deep learning, optimization techniques, information retrieval, recommender systems, conversational search and/or natural language understanding.
- You have publications in communities such as WWW, SIGIR, FAT*, NeurIPS, WSDM, SIGDIAL, RecSys, CHI, KDD, AAAI, ACL, ICML, or related.
- You possess solid hands-on skills in sourcing, cleaning, manipulating, analyzing, visualizing and modeling of real data.
- You have a passion for making sense of user behavior, using any available methods.
- You are a creative problem-solver who is passionate about digging into complex problems and devising new approaches to reach results.
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better product for our users and our creators. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of changing the way the world listens to music.