RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT SCIENTIST
Seagate is a global leader in data storage solutions. We strive to create precision-engineered data storage technologies that deliver superior capacity, speed, safety, and performance. We’re excited to announce a £47m investment in our Londonderry/Derry fabrication facility and are expending our existing team to help deliver our next generation storage technologies. If you’re excited by new technologies, are naturally creative and passionate about seeing ideas come to life, then this just might be the opportunity for you!
Our research group is essential to our mission of building the world's best storage technologies. You’ll work as part of a team reporting to the Research & Development Manager within an established team defining and driving leading edge technologies for future data storage products. This is where you can really make a difference.
About the role:
Leveraging our high-tech clean room fabrication facility using the most advanced manufacturing processes and design tools you’ll be responsible for research and development in the areas of transducer design and thin-film wafer processing for the manufacture of next generation thin film magnetic and magneto-optic recording heads. You’ll have the opportunity to develop and grow valuable technical, manufacturing and research skills, in an exciting and rewarding environment.
What you will do:
- Wafer fabrication, design & testing for next generation magnetic recording heads.
- Identification, development & deployment of new designs, materials & device structures.
- Mask layout & process development (lithography, plasma etch/deposition, CMP, electroplating).
- Application & development of optical & electrical test equipment & methods.
- Optical, electronic, and thermal modelling in support of experimental efforts.
- Modelling and simulation of Magnetic and Optical Head Performance.
- Acquisition, handling, vetting and analysis of experimental data-sets.
- Project planning and collaboration with adjacent teams and internal customers.
Your experience includes:
- Demonstrated innovation in the field of magnetics, photonics, lithography, novel materials, plasma physics, process technology and device modelling.
- Experience and knowledge in the areas of magnetics, photonics, semiconductor process technology, device simulation, wafer fabrication and test.
You may have:
- Qualification in materials science, magnetics, electrical/optical/chemical engineering, chemistry or physics.
- Academic research experience would be considered a distinct advantage
Our competitive compensation & benefits package is reflective of Seagate’s “best in class” philosophy and includes a pension scheme, health insurance scheme, stock purchase plan, onsite gym and tuition assistance. For individuals with the drive to make a real contribution, the company offers exciting opportunities for growth. Seagate will provide you with the tools and support that you need to succeed within an established cutting edge company with a genuine commitment to training and development. Salary may vary depending on experience and qualification level
Employees wishing to be considered for the above post should submit a completed application form via Workday. Please note that you must demonstrate on the application how you meet the criteria for the role as identified above.
Completed application forms should be submitted no later than 3:00 pm 3rd October 2019
Seagate Technology is committed to equal opportunity in employment and welcomes applications from all sections of the community irrespective of sex, marital status, religious affiliation, age, disability or ethnic origin. The Company specifically welcomes applications from the protestant community who are currently underrepresented in this job category. All applications will be considered strictly on the basis of merit.