Location:Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
About the role:
The Technology Development department at Abcam is vital to sustaining Abcam’s innovation and their mission to help researcher’s get results faster. We are seeking a Research Associate to support the Core team in our new Cambridge headquarters. This is an exciting multi-disciplinary team of molecular biologists and chemists who work together to develop new research tools for use by life scientists worldwide.
The Research Associate will be responsible for the application testing which is instrumental to our design-test-learn cycle of technology development. To do this, the candidate will work within the cell culture and imaging suites and will develop a complete overview of application testing from cell production to antibody validation. The role will report into Technology Development, and focus on R&D projects, but will also be embedded in the Imaging team and contribute to the operation of this core facility.
The ideal candidate will have experience in cell culture, immunocytochemistry and flow cytometry and have a passion for designing and developing technologies to enhance life sciences research.
Roles & responsibilities:
- Culture, treatment and fixation of cells for flow cytometry and immunocytochemistry
- Flow cytometry and immunocytochemistry testing
- Analyse and critically evaluate experimental results, with attention to detail
- Maintain good laboratory records
- Communicate experimental results effectively to the team
- Complete project tasks in a timely and efficient manner
- Manage and order raw material stocks; reagent preparation and instrument maintenance
- BSc/MSc in Biology/Biochemistry or other closely related discipline; alternatively, 3+ years of relevant laboratory experience
- Hands on experience with cell culture and immunoassays
- Strong critical thinking skills and quantitative data analysis
- Excellent organisational skills with the ability to prioritise, multitask and meet deadlines
- Self-motivated, with the ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Keep pace with a fast moving, agile team
1+ year of experience in an industry setting
Process driven and a keen eye for continuous improvement
Hands on experience with flow cytometry and immunocytochemistry
Ever since 1998, when our founder, Jonathan Milner, started selling antibodies from the back of his bike, Abcam has aimed to help scientific researchers make breakthroughs faster. We now have offices and labs in the UK, the US, China and Japan, and as we continue to grow, we remain ambitious, driven by our customers’ success and their research needs. It’s our goal to provide a world-standard in protein research tools, technical support and delivery.
When you join Abcam, you’ll join a global business with the passion and the vision to become the most influential company, and, best-loved brand in life sciences. Our culture is our key differentiator. We believe in empowering individuals, with responsibility given at an early stage. The working environment is fun and fast-paced, collaborative and outcome focused, with a strong customer focus.
In addition to competitive salaries, we can offer an attractive flexible benefits package which includes share options, a culture focussed on wellbeing and opportunities for growth and development.