Job TitleMarket Reporter– Freight
Job type: Permanent
Location:London Head Office, Holborn
Reporting Relationship Editor – Freight
Argus is an established internationaland fast-growing global B2B media company providing essential information on commodity markets, with a network of offices in the Americas, Europe, the Middle East and Asia. We have grown tremendously and are still growing quickly, adding new markets, new services, new delivery options and improved analytical tools.
We are currently looking for a market reporter/analyst tojoin our editorial freight team to cover freight markets and report on deals, price movements and market news and analysis. The team sits within the wider editorial group, comprising several hundred journalists globally.
This is an excellent opportunity to forge your career covering the economically and politically influential sector of global energy and commodities. You will apply and develop your skills across daily news reporting, market and data analysis, features and editorials in this fast-paced environment with the highest standards of journalistic independence and integrity; and there are opportunities to travel and present papers at industry conferences and lead webinar sessions. The role also involved building strong relationships with industry contacts and market participants and provides scope for numerous networking opportunities.
The freight desk assesses key markets such as crude oil and refined oilproducts tanker freight rates globally as well as dry bulk freight rates. The global freight team has team members in Singapore, London and New York and the role involvedcollaboration with the rest of the global team.The desk’s coverage encompasses many globally traded commodities and will provide the successful candidate with access to a wide range of subjects and commodity-related knowledge, as well as with the opportunity to collaboratewith other desks. The freight team also benefits from an exciting pipeline of projects and product development opportunities. As a member of this team, you will become familiar with all of these markets and get a chance to become an expert in one or more of them. You will be responsible for making daily price assessments and writing market commentaries, as well as writing news and in-depth analysis, and building our data coverage, for the daily publication.
You will work in tandem with senior reporters and editors who will provide training and support to develop in-depth knowledge of the markets. In-house training courses are regularly provided on technical skills as well as content-related courses, and new joiners are alsoprovidedwith an online training platform.
- Monitor and assess markets to produce daily price assessments, market commentaries, news, analysis and reports
- Regular meetings and daily communication with key members of the industry, including shipbrokers, shipowners and charterers, and business leaders to build relationships and gather news
- Contribute copy to the relevant daily publication and the on-line news service
- Attend meetings, conferences and industry events to build contacts, report on news and represent Argus in the industry
Skills and Experience
- An articulate graduate with a strong degree
- Proven ability to develop, source and write industry-relevant news/content to deadline is preferred
- Knowledge of the energy and commodity sectors useful but not essential
- Excellent writing, grammar and numeracy skills (these will be tested as part of the interview process)
- Ability to use data to generate stories and analysis is preferred, while a willingness to learn is essential
- Excellent communication skills with ability to network and build contacts with industry executives
- Prior experience of working in the financial or energy journalism sector is useful but not essential
- Strong co-ordination and time management skills with the ability to work well within a team
- Additional languages useful but not essential
- Demonstrable interest in global business and politics
- Self motivated, able to use initiative and equipped with an inquisitive nature
- A team-player, with anability and desire to learn from and collaborate colleagues in London and globally
About Argus Media
Argus is a leading energy and commodity price reporting agency providing data, news and insight as well as conference and consulting services. Companies in more than 140 countries around the world use Argus prices to index physical trade and as benchmarks in financial derivative markets as well as for analysis and planning purposes.
Half of Argus' 900 employees are commodity journalists who specialise in reporting news and price information relating to physical energy and related commodity markets. They operate according to a rigorous Editorial Code of Conduct and a Compliance and Ethics Policy that align with best journalistic practice, including the avoidance of conflicts of interest.
Argus was founded in 1970 and is a privately held UK-registered company. It is owned by staff shareholders and global growth equity firm General Atlantic.Global offices are located in the US, Canada, Brazil, South Africa, Germany, Russia, Lithuania, Ukraine, the Middle East, Singapore, China, Japan and Australia.
Our rapidly-growing, award winning business offers a dynamic environment for talented, entrepreneurial professionals to achieve results and grow their careers. Argus recognises and rewards successful performance and as an Investor in People, we promote professional development and retain a high-performing team committed to building our success. Several employee support groups also ensure regular speakers’ events, forums of discussionand and networking opportunities withinthe company offering a collegial atmosphere.
- Competitive salary and company bonus scheme
- Group pension scheme
- Group healthcare and life assurance scheme
- 25 days holiday with annual increase up to 30 days
- Subsidised gym membership
- Season ticket travel loans
- Cycle to work scheme
- Extensive internal and external training
If this aligns with your next career move, we’d love to hear from you.
Apply via our website www.argusmedia.com/en/careers/open-positions