We are looking for a dedicated and talented media relations professional to become our Regional Media Officer for the North of England region. It is an exciting job that includes using the media as a tool to influence change at a local level in line with our key national and regional priorities. You will also promote the fundraising achievements of our supporters and support our local groups and volunteers to promote the work they do to improve the lives of all people living with diabetes.
You will be part of a small but dynamic regional team and will be managed by the Head of the North of England with cooperative line management from the central media team. Our media team plays a central role in Diabetes UK's work to create a world where diabetes can do no harm. We secure regular high-profile coverage that raises awareness of the seriousness of diabetes; campaign for improvements in diabetes healthcare; and communicate potentially life-saving health messages.
Not only will you be able to make a real difference to people's lives, but it is a brilliant opportunity for you to make your mark in charity communications as part of a friendly and high-achieving team.
Interviews: w/c 2 December 2019
What we can offer you:
- Generous annual leave starting at 25 days plus bank holidays
- A Cash Healthcare Plan (giving you up to £1,500 towards a range of out of pocket health expenses like new glasses, dentist, chiropractor or osteopath appointments)
- Early finish Friday and flexible working as part of our approach to activity based working
- Discounts on gym membership
- Employee assistance programme to give you support on any issues that come up in life
- Annual season ticket loan (on completion of your probation period)
- Very active social scene including sport teams, gardening and other activities
- Generous pension provision, life assurance and income protection insurance
- Cycle to work scheme (eligible for scheme if contract is permanent or longer than 12 months)
*Some benefits aren't available until you've passed your probation period and are dependent on the length of contract.
- Develop and deliver proactive media activities to raise the profile of Diabetes UK in regional broadcast, print, online and social media.
- Work closely with various teams within Diabetes UK and with key stakeholders to identify opportunities, provide advice and support to ensure excellent regional media coverage and increased awareness of key issues relating to diabetes.
- Ensure the voice of people affected by diabetes is heard throughout media and other communications activity, identifying and telling real-life stories.
- Analyse and translate complex information or issues into outstanding press releases, statements and features.
- Promote the work of the North of England team internally via our internal communications and by sharing stories for Diabetes UK national publications and online campaigns.
- Maintain our regional webpages and have experience using content management systems.
We are looking for someone who has substantial experience of regional media relations and a knowledge of using the media as a campaigning tool. Strong writing skills and the ability to identify powerful case studies are essential. You will need an organised approach to work and be a strong team player. You will need experience developing and maintaining relationships with external stakeholders.
£25,000.00 - £27,000.00 per year