Horizon Discovery is looking for an experienced technical and people manager to join our growing R&D team based at our Cambridge site. This is an exciting opportunity to be at the forefront of our business strategy working to develop a novel base editing platform and collaborating with our commercial and legal teams to commercialise this technology.
You will be someone who regularly demonstrates innovation and creativity inside and outside of individual research projects and who proactively contributes to the scientific and personal development of others. You will have a background in gene editing, preferably in its application to cell/gene therapy development and ideally experience of leading R&D initiatives in an industry setting.
- Independently conduct and/or lead high quality and complex scientific research, with the capacity to prepare high quality research proposals, identify and solve problems associated with their own and others’ experiments and produce reports, presentations and/or journal articles clearly disseminating the results of their research.
- Initiates, plans, controls, evaluates and redesigns projects for which they are responsible and makes increasing contributions to the strategic direction of research projects in line with the company and departmental objectives
- Direct line and project management of a team of R&D scientists across multiple programs, with a focus on building a strong, motivated and successful team capable of delivering high quality science
- Develops the people within their team, ensuring high levels of performance that result in optimal technical solutions to support delivery of commercial/strategic requirement
- Provide technical guidance/liaison to the UK R&D Senior Manager and wider business where necessary, reporting on milestone delivery and project status to relevant Manager and commercial/legal teams
Essential Competencies & Requirements
- A Ph.D. in a relevant field (such as cell biology/biochemistry or a closely related field), plus relevant post-doctoral experience. A technical background in gene editing is essential, ideally in the context of technology and innovation. Relevant experience in an industry setting is highly desirable.
- A proven track record of leading and delivering R&D projects with demonstratable strategic input; solution focussed with excellent troubleshooting and problem-solving abilities
- Experience in managing a team of scientists both in terms of project management and line management
- A team player with strong interpersonal and communication skills and the capacity to empower, inspire and lead others
- Demonstrated ability to develop and build strategic partnerships and grow external networks
- A fast learner who can effectively immerse themselves in new subject areas and apply this knowledge to drive and influence projects
- Fluent knowledge of programmatic aspects of research (cost, resources and schedule)
- Flexibility, adaptability and ability to work in a fast-paced, matrix-managed environment
The expectation is that at least 60% of this role will be laboratory based in the first instance, with a lead by example attitude.
Desirable Competencies & Requirements
- Experience of applying gene editing technologies to the development of cell or gene therapy applications is highly desireable
Closing application date 7th August 2020