Note for Recruitment Agencies:
We prefer to hire directly, but we do have an approved supplier list for when we’d like a helping hand. We’ll be in touch if we need you.
We are recruiting for a Quantity Surveyor to work on our latest scheme awarded under the Midlands Highways Alliance the A46 in Anstey. The Scheme worth in excess of £7m will be delivered over 12 months and offer improvements in the level of congestion in the approach road to Anstey by widening the current dual carriageway to increase the flow of traffic.
The Quantity Surveyor will have responsibility for day to day commercial activities on the project, reporting into the Commercial Manager
Key roles include liaising with the Head Office Estimating, Buying and Production staff together with ensuring accurate site records are reported by the site teams.
Commercial & Contractual
- Measurement and valuation of works (on site and from drawings) for Valuations, Variations & Final Accounts by preparing detailed, accurate and orderly measurements in accordance with relevant measurement standards
- Agreement of valuation dates and preparing, submitting and agreement of interim valuations in accordance with those dates
- Providing detailed record and valuation of work executed with application of principles of cash maximisation and issuing of draft invoices to Sales Ledger Department and advising of agreed valuations dates
- Measurement and valuation of subcontractors work for payment and Final Account purposes by agreement of subcontract valuations and completion of regular and timely payment certificates
- Recognising and advising Site Manager on delays, extensions of time and loss and/or expense and ensuring relevant notices are issued
- Ensuring adequate records are kept for the purposes of valuing variations and ascertaining loss and/or expense by maintaining records of resource allocation including labour plant and materials and reviewing subcontract correspondence for delay and loss and/or expense claims
- Preparation of claim documentation & information for submission to Clients/ Consultants within required timescales
- Satisfying Client deadlines for estimates and quotations whilst applying principles of profit maximisation and protecting Companies interests
- Preparation of tender enquiry documents for the procurement of subcontractors and selection, preparation and issue of subcontract documents
- Understanding and advising on the terms and conditions of the main contract and subcontracts, which may also include negotiation with the subcontractor for the agreement thereof
- Preparation of financial reports including:
- Internal Valuations/CVRs and subcontract liability reports in accordance with schedule of accounting period end dates and deadlines
- Margin Analysis reports
- Commercial Analysis (final margin) forecasts and Cost to Complete forecasts
- Cash Flow forecasts
- Turnover forecasts
Experience and Qualifications:
- HNC, HND or Degree educated in Quantity Surveying (or related discipline)
- Have good working knowledge and experience with the NEC form of contract.
- Experience in a similar role in a main contracting environment.
- The successful candidate will also possess excellent communication skills along with a pro-active approach to achieve pre-determined deadlines for monthly reporting on all the commercial aspects associated with the contract
We offer an opportunity to work on some of the UKs most exciting construction projects, in a fast-paced environment where each day brings new challenges. We also offer a competitive salary and benefits package and we will always consider flexible working hours and arrangements.
With an ambitious strategy, we’re poised for further growth and success, so if you’re committed, talented and enthusiastic, Galliford Try is the right place for you.
We are one of the UK’s leading housebuilding and construction groups. For 100 years, Galliford Try has helped to shape the world around us and today we are at the forefront of the construction industry with approximately 5,500 employees working on a huge range of housebuilding and construction projects. As a FTSE 250 listed UK business, our focus is on delivering first class business solutions and building long-term relationships with our customers, employees, supply chain and communities we work in. Our involvement in some of the UK's most high profile and innovative projects ensures our employees benefit from unrivalled opportunities and career progression.
As a major UK contractor our Construction Division has a diversified workload in the public, regulated and private sectors. The Division boasts a strong reputation for providing whole-life solutions, high standards of project delivery, and an ability to innovate. It predominately operates under either the Galliford Try or the Morrison Construction brands, and is organised into five key segments: Building, Infrastructure, Facilities Management, Investments and Integrated Solutions.
Operating under Galliford Try in England and Wales and Morrison Construction in Scotland, we are a leading contractor on infrastructure projects in the public and regulated sectors. From highways and rail to renewable energy and water, delivering a specialist capability from concept and design through to project implementation and maintenance.
Galliford Try is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sectors of the community