About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Quantity Surveyor (Commercial - Quantity Surveying) to join our Living Places business unit to work in Warwickshire.
A Quantity Surveyor has a number of years’ experience in managing all costs relating to building and civil engineering projects. They will be supporting other more senior members of the commercial team in delivering the varied commercial duties as well as being responsible for procuring and managing our supply chain. They actively seek to minimise the costs of a project and enhance value for money, while still achieving the required standards and quality for our Customers. Typically a QS will be chartered or in the final stages of achieving professional membership of the RICS, ICES or CIOB and will be a peer role model for those less experienced members of the commercial team.
What you'll be doing
As a Quantity Surveyor (Commercial - Quantity Surveying), you will be responsible for the following:
Analytical Thinking & Decision Making
- Orders information and systematically checks data.
- Measure, record & value work unsupervised in accordance with appropriate rules and procedures.
- Measure & interpret specifications & drawings;
- Build up estimates from first principle including net and gross estimates;
- Translate measurement from drawings and Specifications and prepare Bills of Quantities and Schedules of rates.
- Review weekly, monthly, section programmes of works;
- Plan commercial activities to meet requirements of section programmes;
- Have an understanding of delay and disruption programmes.
- Use the company’s ERP System;
- Collation of Cost and Value Information;
- Preparation of Cost reconciliation statements.
- Collect information required to specify procurement requirements;
- Record and document information including registration of interest;
- Understand the steps / documentation required.
- Collation of cost and value information;
- Measurement of works and agreements with subcontractors.
Development, Recruitment and Retention
- Maintain a Personal Development Plan;
- Supports the development of others;
- Working towards professional membership from the RICS, ICES or CIOB.
Who we're looking for
The following qualifications are essential:
- BSc or MSc in Quantity Surveying or experience equivalent.
The following qualities/experience are desirable:
- Good communication skills;
- Ability to work as part of a team;
- Achievement Focused (Achieving Results);
- Previous Commercial Work experience.
- Industry knowledge
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
The way we live our lives is changing fast: where and how we live, work, travel, shop, relax and socialise. The evolving nature of our society means we all need to shape our environment to meet a complex array of individual and collective needs.
Wherever investment in these environments is needed, Living Places works in partnership with Local Authorities to consult, finance, design, build and manage the essential place infrastructure that local communities and national economies need to prosper and grow.
We are right at the heart of a dynamic ‘place shaping’ agenda that brings Local Authorities, local communities, Central Government, and the Private Sector together to create safe, sustainable, flexible and dynamic public spaces geared to community social need, economic growth and personal well-being as well as being environmentally sustainable.
The provision of maintenance services for highways is only a small part of what is really needed. Our focus has moved beyond the ‘road’ to deliver the potential of the ‘street’: a dynamic public place that connects and combines local community and business needs, encourages social interaction and helps pedestrians, motorists, bus riders, and cyclists to coexist safely. Building great public spaces with resource efficient assets enables functional, flexible and inspirational places to be at the heart of the community.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and a member of Stonewall's Diversity Champions programme. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.