Thales people architect solutions that are relied upon to deliver operational advantage at every decisive moment throughout the mission. Defence and armed forces customers rely on us to deliver the full range of defensive systems for land, sea, and air. From early warning, to threat neutralisation, our platforms cover all levels from very short-range systems, to extended protection across the entire battle-space including Airspace Mobility Solutions, Vehicles and Tactical Systems and Missile Defence, Optronics, and Radar.
Together we offer fantastic opportunities for committed employees to learn and develop their career with us. At Thales UK, we research, develop, and supply technology and services that impact the lives of millions of people each day to make life better, and keep us safer. We innovate across five major industries; Aerospace, Defence, Ground Transportation, Security and Space. Your health and well-being matters to us and that’s why we offer you the flexibility to do what’s important to you; whether that’s part time hours, job sharing, home working, or the ability to flex your start and finish times. Where possible, we support a working pattern that suits your lifestyle and helps you reach your ambitions.
Primary Purpose of the Role:
This document describes the main activities required for a Quality Assurance Manager within the Integrated Airspace-protection Systems (IAS) business. The role is not limited to these activities and where required the role will be required to fulfil other Quality activities in support of the IAS business. The role reports to the IAS Quality Manager.
The purpose of this role is to provide Bid & Project Quality leadership to ensure the successful delivery of defence and space systems to customers in both UK and export markets. The role will require overall Project Quality Management experience to co-ordinate, manage and report on Quality within IAS. To manage and analyse reports to continually improve quality within the project, and ensure the quality performance is managed and reported to meet project time-scales.
Interface with the Quality team where necessary to help and resolve resolution of Quality issues.
Maintain and establish effective management of quality and metrics of performance.
This will include management of Quality to support and resolve any non-conformance, improving right first time levels and ensuring effective corrective and preventive actions are implemented to ensure problems do not recur.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Manage quality and customer satisfaction within the IAS Quality structure including Bids, Projects, Operations, Engineering and Purchasing.
- Plan and implement Quality Assurance (QA) on assigned projects in accordance with Thales’ reference system – taking into account contract and regulatory requirements, including tender and contract review.
- Check that the technical and non-technical requirements of the Customer are recorded, understood and managed efficiently by all members of the bid/project team.
- Check that the project deliverables comply with the Customer's requirements and with the applicable regulations and standards.
- Support the product, bid and project teams in applying processes, identifying risks and resolving problems.
- Adjust Quality Assurance actions to make sure they focus on the risks, taking into account the maturity of the bid/project team.
- Control the execution of the project (in relation to the plans): evaluate achievements at key milestones and deliverables, and provide visibility through "Quality Advice".
- Work with QA and project team members to assist in meeting objectives, targets and deadlines.
- Generate QA inputs (including formal advice) for project reviews.
- Generate inputs for project/QA manager reports and design reviews.
- Lead project QA activities to ensure that tasks are carried out in accordance with agreed work packages and to the required process.
- Systematically perform QA audit and surveillance activities throughout the lifetime of assigned projects, follow up on any associated issues and non-conformances.
- Be the prime point of contact and offer professional advice for projects on QA matters, to the customer, sub-contractors and suppliers.
- Provide advice and assistance on quality matters to project staff, engineering and operations through proactive participation, during all phases of the project.
- Perform root cause analysis and the analysis of quality metrics and initiate improvements, as applicable.
- Liaise with the Customer's Quality representative during the bid phase and contract execution.
Technical and Professional Skills
- Experience in or knowledge of Quality Management and problem solving skills.
- Experience implementing analysing and leading development of improved processes, methods and tools - improved quality and productivity.
- Experience in working within multi-function teams.
- Experience of Auditing Skills and Professional Standards.
- Experience of team working/ building and communication skills.
- Experience of Configuration Management principals and processes.
- Experience of Engineering process and lifecycles.
- Root Cause & Corrective Action Process knowledge and application.
- An ability to embrace and encourage change.
Personality and Behaviours
- Must be a leader and team player capable of communicating clearly across all functions and levels.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to communicate and drive continuous improvement actions.
- Ability to work cross functionally in the business and Domains.
- A positive attitude combined with excellent interpersonal and motivational skills.
In line with Thales' Baseline Security requirements, candidates will be asked to provide evidence of identity, eligibility to work in the UK and employment and/or education history for up to three years. Some vacancies may require full Security Clearance which can require further evidence to be provided. For further details of the evidence required to apply for Baseline and Security Clearance please refer to the Defence Business Services National Security Vetting (DBS NSV) Agency.
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 80,000 employees in 68 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now!