When you’re part of Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do challenging work, and be part of a team that values performance, quality and innovation. With revenues of $24 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
At our site in Swindon, Thermo Fisher are forging partnerships that are transforming the industry, creating new business models between pharma companies and their pharma service providers. We are pioneering solutions that are driven by client needs.
This role requires you to operate within a matrix management system to deliver key responsibilities. You will be accountable for the management of a team of scientific officers who perform QC Chemistry analysis of incoming goods/in-process samples/intermediates/finished product samples.
What will you do?
- Line manage a team of scientific officers who perform QC testing
- Act as first point of escalation for technical, compliance and personnel problem resolution
- To lead, plan, coordinate the routine team activities of the section to meet the needs of the business. Routine team activities include (but not limited to):
- Coordination of sampling activities to ensure that samples are available for QC to meet the needs of the business
- Analysis of incoming goods/in-process samples/intermediates/finished product samples to Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) standards
- GMP analysis of stability samples
- Analysis of samples to complete method transfer or pharmacopoeia method verification requirements
- Completion, update and review of technical documentation (including analytical write ups, standard operating procedures, GMP forms, specifications, investigations and reports)
- Verification/calibration of lab equipment
- Maintenance of up-to-date training in-line with GMP expectations
- Management of QC chemical, reference standard and consumable stock levels
- To perform or oversee QC batch release procedures
- To prepare, review or approve technical documentation within the Department, as required
- To review analytical and laboratory data within the Department for accuracy, completeness and compliance with documented procedures
- To appraise staff within the section, including setting and assessing the achievement of objectives.
- To train others as required, to ensure that all members of the Section are adequately trained, and to ensure that appropriate training records are maintained for the Section
- To maintain a thorough understanding of international regulatory requirements (Good Manufacturing Practice, Good QC Lab Practice, pharmacopoeial monographs/chapters, ICH guidelines) pertinent to the Section, and to ensure that all work within the Section is compliant
- To maintain lab throughput in-line with the business plan
- To carry out and manage projects within the Department
- To communicate effectively with others on site and internationally, and to participate with them in problem solving activities, as required
- To act as Subject Matter Expert with regulators / clients (i.e. key part of audits and inspections)
- Collaborate and coordinate initiatives with other QC Supervisors and Managers for improved compliance, efficiency, HSE, working conditions etc.
- Identify and drive Practical Process Improvement initiatives (PPI)
- Undertake/support Self-inspections, GEMBA walks and Huddle meetings
- Undertake ad-hoc activities that may be required by the business
- Support and encourage a “Quality Culture” and company 4i values throughout QC
- To deputise for the QC Manager in their absence
- Follow Company procedures to ensure the team is managed in an effective way
- Ensure cGMP is applied in their area of work and comply with cGMP in all areas of the business
Who are we looking for?
- Degree in Chemistry or strongly related scientific discipline
- Relevant industrial experience ideally from a raw material or packaging environment
- Extensive experience of instrumental and traditional analytical techniques.
- Supervisory experience desirable
- Ability to work to critical timelines
- Effective communication skills at all internal and external levels
- Excellent attention to detail
- Excellent organisational skills
- Developed time management and project management skills
What’s in it for you:
- Competitive base salary
- Annual bonus
- Free on-site car parking
- Contributory Pension
- Private medical insurance
- Flexible benefits
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. is the world leader in serving science, with annual revenue exceeding $25 billion. Our Mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Whether our customers are accelerating life sciences research, solving complex analytical challenges, improving patient diagnostics and therapies or increasing productivity in their laboratories, we are here to support them.
Our global team of more than 75,000 colleagues delivers an unrivaled combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and pharmaceutical services through our industry-leading brands, including Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific, Unity Lab Services and Patheon
With Thermo Fisher Scientific, it’s not just a career. It’s a chance to realise your best – professionally and personally.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Apply today! http://jobs.thermofisher.com