Job Description Summary:
We believe we’re best positioned to make a meaningful impact on the economy. Every day, we provide a diverse range of organisations with the kind of business and financial advice it takes to do this. Our ideas and insight empower our clients to make big decisions about the future and unlock sustainable growth. With a relentless focus on quality and integrity, we help businesses, communities and our people to flourish
In the Public Company Advisory team we advise private and public small-mid cap high-growth companies seeking growth, specifically through accessing public / equity funding in the following ways:
Initial public offerings (IPOs) and stock market flotations - we are a leading independent Nominated Adviser in the London market advising companies on the AIM Market. We also act as a trusted adviser to AIM quoted companies on an ongoing basis.
Public company M&A - we deliver the specialist advice required by the City Code on Takeovers and Mergers for M&A transactions that involve buying or selling a 'plc'
Private project financing - predominantly in the natural resources space, we act as financial adviser/ lead adviser in sourcing, structuring and executing financing for public companies, from private equity, credit funds, banks, specialist institutions and corporates
The Public Company Advisory team sits within Grant Thornton’s Deals business which comprises several teams including corporate finance, valuations, business consulting and due diligence. As an assistant manager, you will be part of the client service team advising clients on transformational projects for their businesses. You will be interfacing with client management (typically C-suite executive) and other professionals. You will be assisting in coordinating client services and advice from other professional firms (e.g. lawyers and stockbrokers) and other internal specialists from our Deals business and other advisory service lines.
Let’s talk about the job
If you enjoy working on a wide-reaching range of projects that will help businesses and communities flourish, you’ll fit right in. Here are some things you can expect from this Assistant Manager role in our Public Company Advisory team.
Making quality second nature. This means doing what’s right even when no one’s looking. The work that you will do has a major impact on our clients and our firm. We pride ourselves on the high-level standards we have for the work that we do.
- You will be expected to develop a sound awareness and adherence to our risk management processes and procedures.
- You should know when to seek advice from the senior team members and other specialists as appropriate.
Own your own work. This will include assuming responsibility for individual work streams which will be assigned by senior team members and reporting back directly. You will be expected to seek feedback on your performance for your future development.
- Your day-to day role will include specific work streams and tasks relating to client deliverables covering a range of regulatory issues involving areas such as the AIM Rules for Companies, the Takeover Code and the Market Abuse Regulation.
- Your day-to-day role will also include leading and managing the delivery of marketing documentation, including pitch materials and client proposals.
- You will be expected to demonstrate an understanding of the commercial objective of your work and how this fits into the overall project or client deliverable.
Be a part of a team. You will be joining a team of professionals who are committed to the delivery of high quality advice and maintenance of standards in a regulated environment.
- You will work effectively and enthusiastically with all members of the team.
- You will contribute to the team’s compliance procedures and risk monitoring.
Take responsibility. We will empower you to act as a trusted business adviser to our clients.
- You will be assigned to a client portfolio and will be expected to build good working relationships with all colleagues and clients that you interact with.
- You will undertake to learn about your clients, and their requirements, and to do your own research using available resources to identify solutions to their business needs.
Build your brand. You’ll be working closely company executives and other professional advisers. You will be building rapport and developing lasting relationships based on trust and quality work with these individuals.
- You will be attending meetings with clients and potential clients (including pitching for new work) and will be expected to be able to present yourself articulately and professionally.
- You will be expected to build and maintain a network of relationships in our market place as well as internally at Grant Thornton.
- You will be expected to actively develop yourself which will include seeking opportunities to attend workshops to develop your technical and personal skills.
- You will be expected to develop your commercial awareness and capability to assess potential opportunities.
Project Delivery. You will participate in the project management of a company flotation or takeover and will be expected to assist in driving forward these projects.
Client management. You will participate in the day to day management of a portfolio of retained public clients, advising board and executive management on the ongoing activities of the company. You will support senior colleagues in the development of services to meet clients’ needs.
Team administration. You will participate in the team’s compliance procedures as well as regulatory record keeping and procedures. You will be responsible of maintaining assignment files and team records. You will support senior colleagues in regulatory correspondence and reporting.
Application of technical knowledge. You will be expected to demonstrate development of technical knowledge and be able to apply this in the context of client assignments. You will be required to keep abreast of relevant regulatory requirements, demonstrating an individual commitment to personal development.
Business Development. You will be interested in building and maintain your network of contacts within the firm and the wider business community. You will actively seek to participate in business development activities and contribute effectively to sales pitches and drafting proposals. You will be expected to develop an understanding of the full range of the firm's products, services and capabilities and take an active role in cross selling.
The minimum criteria
Education, experience and qualifications:
- Maths and English Language grade B or above at GCSE (or equivalent)
- Appropriate University degree (or equivalent)
- Desirable – qualified accountant or qualified lawyer or technical qualification (such as CISI certificate or diploma)
- Experience of using MS Excel, Word and Powerpoint
- Prior work experience in an accounting, law or FCA regulated firm, preferably with experience in a transactions support or advisory role.
You’ll have good communication skills. You will be able to deliver both verbal and written communications to a variety of audiences. You will be responsible for reviewing transaction documentation, including admission documents, shareholder circulars and management presentations, as well as stock market announcements for the client portfolio. We need to provide clear guidance to clients and internally in order to work efficiently and effectively.
You’ll have good organisational skills. You will be able to manage a portfolio of clients and demonstrate that you are able to effectively prioritise and manage your activities. This will include being open about work priorities with the wider team. We achieve our objectives by working together as a team, supporting each other and communicating all the time.
You'll apply critical reasoning to bring clarity and insight. You will be able to analyse information and offer considered conclusions and solutions. We do it by asking great questions, listening and drawing on our collective knowledge and experience to really help others grow.
You'll seize opportunities. You will seek to develop and strengthen new and existing client relationships, looking at client needs and how these can be serviced by the wider Grant Thornton teams. You will also demonstrate an understanding of the risks and challenges of fulfilling a client’s requests. We want to adapt quickly and wisely to changing conditions to optimise growth for both our clients and ourselves.
You’ll be proactive and committed to learning. You’ll be driven to develop your own experience and knowledge and to take responsibility for the clients and transaction that you manage. We want to grow our team by providing development opportunities for the individuals in it to expand their capabilities.
Do you care about the same things we do?
We have six values we work by. When we meet, we’ll want you to show us how they’re important to you, too.
Collaboration: We work together, share ideas and always make time to help each other out.
Leadership: Everyone has the chance to lead their own projects.
Excellence: Quality is central to our purpose. We love what we do, and it shows. We sweat the details. We see things through, no matter how tricky.
Agility: The world moves quickly. To keep up, we stay flexible – changing approaches, changing projects, working offline, online, together and alone to get things done.
Respect: A given, of course: we value each other and our clients. We listen, we understand, we care.
Responsibility: The decisions we make and advice we give affects people’s lives and livelihoods. We take that seriously and always do well by doing what’s right.
Share ideas and profits
Unlike most firms, we’re also a shared enterprise. So when the firm does well, everyone does well by taking home a share of the profits. Of course, to get those profits, we need to share ideas and share responsibility for our work, too.
Bring your whole self
Now you’ve seen our values, it shouldn’t be a surprise that we’re creating a respectful, open, diverse place to work. Building an inclusive culture, where we value difference and respect our colleagues, is not just the right thing to do, it helps our people to perform at the best of their ability and realise their potential.
“We are committed to making sure that the opportunities within our firm are equally accessible for everyone – regardless of background or gender.” Dave Dunckley, CEO
There’s more to life than work
Families, children, sports, night classes…the things you do and the people you’re with outside work matter. They can inspire, motivate and energise you. Inside the office and out. So if you’d like to work flexibly, let us know. We’re happy to look at flexible working options for all our roles, and we’ll always do our best to keep your work and life in balance.
View our video below to see what life is like at Grant Thornton.