Manchester City Council is the local government authority for Manchester, a city and metropolitan borough in Greater Manchester. It is composed of 96 councillors, three for each of the 32 electoral wards of Manchester. Currently the council is controlled by the Labour Party and is led by Sir Richard Leese.
As an employer we are always seeking to develop and build on the benefits package based on what our people are asking for. The below provides an overview of some of the benefits we offer :
Local Government Pension scheme
- Flexible Working Arrangements
- Discounted travel scheme
- 25 days paid annual leave initially, increasing to 30 after 5 years service
- MCC Cycle to Work Scheme
- Career development and succession opportunities
The successful candidate will:
- Be responsible for developing, managing and successfully delivering multiple complex, high valued and strategic projects concurrently, to time, budget and quality;
- Plan, monitor and report on projects, including delivery timescales, milestones and resource allocation effectiveness;
- Adhere to key project elements, product specifications, agreed timescales, project costs, product quality.
- Use ServiceNow ITBM to manage and report on the progress of each project;
- Undertake effective stakeholder management with programme managers and a range of internal and external stakeholders;
- Provide strong leadership to project resources, framework partners and consultants, defining work, ensuring deadlines are understood and adhered to and that the project objectives are clearly articulated and understood;
- Be responsible for the management of team members through matrix management of a delivery team. Negotiate and manage key suppliers.
Skills and Experience
As the successful candidate you will be able to demonstrate experience and knowledge of the following:
- Minimum of five years project management experience
- Proven experience of successfully managing and delivering multiple highly complex and high value projects concurrently on time on budget to the right quality.
- Evidence of working on projects involving data migration, software development, and technology that enables business transformation.
- Demonstrable evidence of continuous achievement of key deliverables
- PRINCE 2 practitioner or equivalent project management qualification
- Extensive knowledge of Project Management Governance and Assurance
- Excellent project planning and control skills to track and realise project outputs
- Excellent financial planning and control skills to forecast and track project budgets
- Proven experience of managing and mitigating risk
- Demonstrable evidence of strategic thinking beyond one's own areas of specialism.
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrable evidence of well developed communication and relationship skills with stakeholders at all levels.
- Effective people management skills providing both strong leadership and direction to the project teams that you manage and robust line management
- Experience using ServiceNow ITBM (PPM) or other ppm tooling
- APM (PMQ and/or PPQ)
- Previous Public Sector experience
Whilst we're open minded about your industry/sector background, you will be recognised as a high-performing Project Management Professional, with demonstrable success in complex environments. You will demonstrate the capability and potential to build and lead high performing teams.
ICT has 4 function units made up of 164 staff PMO & Governance, Engagement and Delivery, Enterprise Architecture and Service Operations.
The department's strategy has the customer at its heart, with a vision: Always, high value, business aligned technology and applications. Delivering high quality agile customer centric service. Always safe, secure and compliant.
The department has benefited from significant investment already and has a 5 year investment plan to continue to upgrade applications and the underpinning infrastructure.
Key projects to be delivered across 2019/20 will include the continued integration with Manchester Local Care Organisation, Data Centre migration and the underpinning enabling projects across Networking, new telephony services, a new CRM, end user compute strategy, a new enforcement and licensing application and a new planning application.
Working directly for a programme manager, you will be one of a group of Project Managers playing a key strategic role in the development and delivery of new initiatives to support the vision, objectives and core values of the City Council.
Working within the portfolio, you will deliver a range of technical projects which cut across the whole organisation.