Wood’s nuclear business supports customers in the energy generation, new build, decommissioning and defence sectors.
Our nuclear business has offices in Knutsford and Birchwood in Cheshire, Gloucester, Dorchester, Harwell, Glasgow, Newcastle, Bristol, Cumbria, Reading and London. We also have a strong international presence to support our growing operations in France, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Poland, South Africa and Japan.
Our reputation for safely delivering quality projects on time and on budget is well recognised in the industries we serve. We have proven expertise in managing large, complex projects, a global reach and long-standing UK presence, strong relationships with our clients and cutting-edge processes and technologies.
What that means to you is the opportunity to experience a real variety of projects, working with people from different backgrounds. You'll work closely with our clients and committed to achieving outstanding results in a stimulating and quality-driven environment.
Wood is currently recruiting for a Project Engineering Manager with extensive experience in the nuclear industry to join our Decommissioning business. This role will be based in our Birchwood office in the North West of the UK but there will be a need for periodic visits to client sites, as projects require.
The Decommissioning business provides a mixture of high added value consultancy and engineering delivery, to major clients in the UK and Overseas, across both the civil nuclear and defence industries. We are proud to have supported these clients for many years, and our partnering arrangements will enable us to sustain and enhance this support in the long-term. We also deliver a number of projects for other private companies and academia needing decommissioning solutions.
The successful candidate will have proven capability to lead, coordinate and direct a multi-discipline engineering team to deliver complex engineering solutions against demanding milestones for one or more projects. Innovative design is a key component in many of the required design solutions, but this must be supported by sound quality assurance with auditable engineering governance.
Assignment of staff to tasks will be a key requirement, and an understanding of the SQEP requirements of individuals in the team and their development needs are a prerequisite to success. This will be coupled with assuring high quality output for the engineering on the project. Additionally the role will support the Project Manager with respect to costs and schedule.
The project responsibilities will be varied and challenging throughout the project lifecycle, including definition of technical aspects in bidding strategies, through design and implementation in to delivery of commissioned systems ready to support the decommissioning challenge.
- Degree qualified (or equivalent experience) in an appropriate engineering discipline
- Member of a professional institute and chartership preferred
- Minimum 10 year experience in engineering delivery (preferably including construction and installation / operation)
- Minimum 5 years nuclear experience
- Proven experience managing a multi-discipline, engineering team
- Decommissioning focused
- Experience of EPC delivery
- Development of technical strategy
- Ability to work with people at all levels – including Client and Suppliers
- Good communicator – as part of delivery, governance and team development
- Flexible to meet the needs of project milestones
- Confident and assertive
What do you get?
As well as exciting roles on projects in the UK and abroad; in a supportive and professional work environment, these are some of the additional benefits you can expect at Wood:
- A competitive reward package
- Work life balance – We offer flexible working; we have core and flex hours in all our permanent office locations.
- Family friendly benefits – maternity, paternity, adoption and parental leave.
- International opportunities - As an 60,000 strong community of colleagues operating in 60 counties you will have access to international career opportunities.
- For your peace of mind we offer life insurance benefit on top of a contributory pension scheme, as well as income protection and life assurance benefit.
- To support you throughout your career you will have access to an Employee Assistance programme, which can offer anything from financial advice to mental health support and counselling sessions.
For our communities:
- We give back to our communities, we have a matched funding community investment programme. In our global business our people are showing commitment and courage to care for the communities we operate in. You can do this by supporting causes and raising funds for charities that are important to you, your colleagues and your local area.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 60,000 people, with revenues of over $10 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets, including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, power & process, environment and infrastructure, clean energy, mining, nuclear, and general industrial sectors. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.