Production Manager - Canvey Island
Attractive salary plus on target bonus, company car/car allowance, pension, BUPA healthcare, and more!
Creating a better world, a better company, and a more fulfilling future…
Canvey Terminal is the UK’s largest LPG import and storage facility; able to import and export refrigerated propane. Canvey is critical to Calor’s service offering - operations include the loading and unloading of ships, the management of refrigerated LPG storage and the export of LPG by road tanker and pipeline.
To ensure the continuity of optimal availability of LPG supply and to ensure compliance with the terminals regulatory and environmental obligations as an Upper Tier COMAH site, Calor is looking to recruit a proactive and experienced Production Manager to lead and manage the 24/7 operational shift teams, as well as drive and ensure the safe and efficient control and operation of the process plant.
Reporting into the Terminal Manager, this role is also responsible for management and co-ordination of the terminals Safe Systems of Work and associated Permit to Work system. As Production Manager, you will ensure that each activity on the terminal can be carried out in a safe environment and that all colleagues, contractors and visitors to site remain safe and act in accordance with Calor policy and procedures.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Developing an effective and highly motivated workforce, driving performance excellence, delivering year-on-year cost efficiencies and improvements in productivity and resource utilisation whilst maintaining operational excellence, safety, and customer satisfaction
- Maintaining high standards on the site ensuring operations are compliant with all plant operation and SHE procedures and Calor Specifications
- Being responsible for the Operations teams safe and time bound completion of a range of duties on high pressure, cryogenic plant and equipment as required including maintenance, plant operation, site delivery of projects, commissioning, complex fault investigation and repair, to ensure optimum efficiency, cost effectiveness, and safety
- Ensuring safe systems of work are sustained by maintaining Operating Instructions, reviewing and approving risk assessments & method statements (RAMS) and issuing and auditing the Permit to Work system
- Managing terminal stock inventories to meet business demand and scheduling requirements including accurately monitoring and reporting on stock position
- Providing engineering technical support to the operations team and others, including engineering calculations and design checks, and energy and mass balances, in order to improve the overall efficiency and effectiveness of operations
- Embedding a culture of continuous improvement implementing visual performance management and problem-solving techniques
- Ensuring the team is appropriately trained, competent and has the necessary flexibility to meet current and future workload requirements
- Ensuring Operations data recording and accuracy in order to complete regulatory reporting KPI’s
- Monitoring operational performance to ensure all objectives are met and that problems are anticipated and resolved, implementing Performance Improvement Plans where required.
- Supervision and management of the Operations team including dealing with sickness, discipline, reviewing performance, and undertaking action as required
- Supervision and management of contractors ensuring the delivery of maintenance and/or site operations safely, on time, within agreed budgets and to appropriate standards
- Ensuring that appropriate standby cover and emergency response readiness is in place to meet the requirement of the Terminal emergency plans
- Acting as Incident Controller or bronze command
- Providing onsite incident supervision and investigation in adherence with Calor policy and procedures
- Being responsible for site safety visits to ensure that setting to work has taken place effectively
- Being proactive in the development and delivery of the work programme
- Providing input in to the medium to long term planning of work schedules and targets for the terminal
- Ensuring Calor policy on Management of Change process is fully implemented and controlled, monitor compliance, and report
As such we would like you to:
- Hold at minimum an HNC/D or equivalent in engineering or relevant discipline
- Ideally have successfully completed IOSH / NEBOSH safety qualification
- Be able to demonstrable effective leadership and people management skills
- Be an excellent communicator with the ability to recognise and resolve issues
- Be able to draw on experience from working within a high hazard process-based environment
- Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of safety and technical issues relating to LPG plant operations
- Have experience of plant operations and control systems (i.e. SCADA or DCS)
- Possess technical process and engineering knowledge relating to the safety and environmental aspects of an Upper Tier COMAH site and relevant industry regulations, standards, and ACOP’s
- Possess a detailed understanding of Safe Systems of Work and application of Permit to Work systems
- Be able to draw on a sound working knowledge of Risk Assessment, COSHH, Work Instructions & Incident Investigation
- Have strong planning and organisational skills with a good appreciation of relevant IT and software systems
- Have solid Project Management skills including management of risk for delivery of projects to scope, time, cost
- Be able to draw on environmental knowledge in respect of day-to-day duties, together with proven ability to respond to emergency situations
- Have strong awareness of safe working practices and legislation relating to high pressure gas/cryogenics and/or high voltage electricity, including process isolations for intrusive maintenance activities
- Demonstrate a strong commitment to process, occupational safety and continuous improvements of safety standards. Understands effects of cultural and behavioural safety
- Have an understanding of implications and interactions of site activities on the wider operation of the business and associated commercial processes.
- Be able to deliver effective management and control of on the job expenditure and of allocated budgets
Calor is an exciting and inspiring company to work for, where investment in our people's skills and knowledge is integral to our success. We ensure a supportive and inclusive working environment which is underpinned by our culture of expertise, safety and trust. These things allow us to lead the way in terms of sustainability, innovation and personal development.
As the lead supplier in the UK LPG market, things rarely stand still for us. From humble beginnings, and as part of SHV Energy, Calor has continued to develop and diversify, ensuring that our service offering is expansive, progressive and relevant to our customers. It is our people that enable us to do that, which is why they are the heart of our business.
We look for people who are open minded, embrace new ways of working, step out of their comfort zone seek out new opportunities and look to continuously learn. Opportunities to progress, to develop and to be recognised for your achievements are part of our daily life, and we want to share that with you! Together with your commitment, drive and personal performance, we believe you can bring out the best in yourself at Calor.
If this sounds like you, please apply by clicking the link below.
We look forward to hearing from you!
If you are successful in being offered this role, you will be required to carry out pre-employment checks including: 5-year address history, 3-year employment history, financial check, criminal record check, and driving licence verification and you must be medically fit to work.
To be considered for the above opportunity you must be eligible to live and work in UK and hold a full driving licence that is valid for you to drive in the UK.
We are a responsible business where safety is our number one priority. As such, during any visit to, or employment with Calor, you may be randomly selected to undergo a drugs and alcohol test. Such results, which would be shared with you, may be taken into consideration in relation to any employment application or continued employment.
Calor Gas Ltd. adhere to ethical recruiting methods ensuring that we do not discriminate against any candidate because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation