V-Nova, a London based IP and software company, is dedicated to improving data compression by building a vast portfolio of innovative technologies based on the game-changing use of AI and parallel processing for data, video, imaging, and point cloud compression, with applications across several verticals. This is achieved through deep-science R&D (300+ international patents) and the development of products that test, prove and continuously enhance the technology portfolio.
V-Nova has contributed part of its IP to drive standardization of two codec formats, MPEG-5 Part 2 (LCEVC), a low-complexity enhancement video codec, and SMPTE VC-6 (ST-2117), a high-performance AI-based video and imaging codec. V-Nova has developed multiple award-winning software products to kickstart the ecosystems for its technologies and allow their immediate deployment, addressing use cases in TV, media, entertainment, social networks, eCommerce, ad-tech, security, aerospace, defence, automotive and gaming.
We’re committed to the extraordinary and rely on the talent of our high-performing diverse teams to provide innovative solutions and deliver what we promise. We’ve worked hard to create a company where talented, passionate people can thrive in a culture that values individual empowerment and excellence and achieves through teamwork. We’re constantly on the lookout for exceptional individuals who thrive off solving challenging problems and want to make an impact. With groundbreaking technology, a fast-paced collaborative environment and major growth plans, there’s never been a more exciting time to join us.
The Product & System Architect role requires an exceptional person to work on product and project deliverables definition to ensure LCEVC and VC-6 based solutions can be deployed in all video delivery environments.
The role is suited for a hands-on keen problem solver, someone that has an engineering background, experience in technical support or operations roles and wants to step-up and expand knowledge and understanding of Product ownership.
At V-Nova, we help our customers improve the quality and efficiency of their video delivery workflows and video compression products through the deployment of our innovative compression technology. The product & system architect will determine the best solution for any given customer, from a simple software upgrade of an existing on-prem installation using V-Nova SDKs, to the addition of a cloud API-driven module, to a full end-to-end streaming platform, using both V-Nova and 3rd party partner components. The Product & System Architect is responsible for creating the most effective solution to ensure value to the customer and rapid time-to-market.
At V-Nova, we deploy our LCEVC and VC-6 SDKs both on third party products and directly onto customers’ infrastructure through our reference integration and engineering services work. The Product & System architect is responsible for both:
- Understanding the software architecture and hardware platform of a 3rd party vendor to correctly define the engineering deliverables and advise the vendor.
- Understanding the video processing and delivery workflow of a service provider to correctly advise on deployment options and define engineering services if required.
At V-Nova it is also important to show the value of our technology to our customers in the most tangible way. We have built a number of reference integrations as well as a transcoding and streaming cloud platform deployable for demos, proof-of-concepts and trials. The Product and Solution Architect role includes technical responsibility for guiding the development choices of these platforms and works together with the product owners to define their roadmap.
These include, within others:
- Specifications of SDK deliverables
- Definition of feature/integration priorities and their requirements
- Collection of feature requirements for our reference integrations
- Design of components to deploy in other public and private clouds
- Development of new features (e.g. Dynamic Optimiser, Cloud Configurator, FPGA acceleration, etc.)
- Consultation on API definition where applicable
- Selection of 3rd party components (e.g. advertising, marketing, payments, etc.) to complete a demo/trial solution
- Architecting the transcoding and streaming service to ensure resilience, scalability and security
- Working with DevOps team to advice on features for the CI/CD pipeline
We are a technology company and building value around our core is key to the success of the company. V-Nova LCEVC implementations and platform are key examples of value add, simplifying the sales and deployment cycles.
The Product & Solution Architect must have in-depth knowledge of video processing workflows (in particular streaming) as well as video processing software and cloud architectures. They will be proficient with codecs, encoding, and online video, ideally from within the media or technology industry. The role may suit someone from a technical/operational support management background looking to progress their career as an architect.
The role requires someone highly motivated, extremely organised, creative, and with excellent communication skills. Our engagements are with clients and partners worldwide and so some travel will be required with this role. The person will report to the Head of Product and will work closely with the Product Owners of various VC-6 and LCEVC projects, (assuming Product Owner responsibilities if required) with CSMs and Engineering on customer deployments.
- Assume technical ownership of V-Nova's Cloud-based services, including high-level design, implementation, configuration and maintenance assuring technical excellence throughout all stages of development and deployment.
- Provides the role of technical advisor to Product Owners assisting with steering product and feature development.
- Assume some Product Ownership responsibilities if required
- Collaborate with the engineering leads to produce product architectural work
- Work closely with Software Development teams to define a strategy for technical design to deliver key objectives.
- Design systems, where possible, to be cloud agnostic allowing for porting to other Public or Private clouds.
- Leverage the FPGA solution for deployment onto on-prem and cloud environments that are powered-by-Xilinx, e.g. AWS, Azure, Nimbix, Huawei, …
- Assume technical ownership of the architecture of the Imaging Cloud transcoder.
- Be the main technical advisor in the selection of 3rd parties required for the deployment of our solutions into the market
- Be the technical point of contact for 3rd party vendors / service providers responding to our RFPs
- Help the commercial organisation expand and realise the LCEVC-as-a-service concept
Qualifications and Experience
- BA/BSc in Computer Science or other technical degree or related experience
- 5+ years’ experience in a Technical Support, Operations or DevOps role, ideally for a technology company managing or building highly available software or systems
- Experience with Linux, Windows, Android and Apple systems
- Experience with video encoding, packaging & streaming technologies.
- Experience designing and building highly available systems in the Cloud.
- Knowledge of Compression, Packaging and Streaming technologies.
- Knowledge of Content Delivery Networks
- Knowledge of Digital Rights Management (DRM) technologies.
- Understanding of software architectures for video processing
- Scripting experience with either Python or Bash.
- Experience with FFmpeg
- Experiece with embedded software systems is a plus
- Experience with open source projects for video processing and video playback would be beneficial
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform or Azure would be a plus
- Understanding of hardware platforms and their constraints would be beneficial
- Knowledge of AWS products including but not limited to EC2, Load-Balancing, VPCs, ECS, S3, CloudFront, Lambda, API Gateway, Cognito, Route 53, Certificate Manager, AppSync etc
- Knowledge of AWS Best Practices regarding Security, Scalability & Cost optimisation
- Knowledge of networking in the cloud, VPC, subnetting, route tables, security groups, network access control lists etc
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code tools like CloudFormation, Terraform, Ansible is beneficial
- AWS Certified Solution Architect preferred
- Experience with Agile software development
- Knowledge of best practices and operations in DevOps practices would be beneficial.
- Experience with Atlassian tools (JIRA/Confluence)
- A strong technical background, with the ability to engage with software engineering teams and influence the engineering deliverables as necessary
- Proven ability to operate effectively in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial start-up in which cross-functional teamwork and initiative are a must;
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills, including presentation tools;
- Demonstrated ability to have fun, and get things done