We are an award-winning international engineering firm. Our highly skilled engineers take a complex problem and use critical thinking to navigate a path past any obstacles. With a team comprising specialists across eight different sectors, we have the expertise necessary to contend with challenging assignments. We are seasoned in tackling the unique complications presented by each project and we collaborate to design ingenious solutions at the frontline of industry best practice.
This is an opportunity for an enthusiastic Principal or Senior Engineer / Scientist with an interest in flood risk management and drainage design to further their career by developing a Surface Water Section based at our Leeds Office.
As well as managing their own projects, the successful candidate will be a key contributor to a wide range of multidisciplinary projects undertaken nationally by TerraConsult in the residential, commercial, industrial, infrastructure, extractive & waste management sectors; also on overseas projects.
The ideal candidate will have excellent inter-personal skills with good leadership potential and be able to communicate effectively with other project managers in the company. Whilst the successful candidate will start off providing technical advice in their area of expertise we will be looking to that person to develop a small team which can provide the following range of services;
- Flood risk assessments in accordance with local and national policy and guidance;
- Surface & foul water management plans and drainage designs using software design packages;
- Detailed drainage design drawings and specifications including use of GIS & CAD software; liaison with TerraConsult CAD team as appropriate;
- Resolution of engineering issues identified during planning and permit applications, supporting clients in gaining the necessary approvals;
- Construction support including input to method statements, dealing with queries from site and supervision;
- Design of Surface Water Management systems on major waste facility and quarry developments in the UK and internationally;
- Development of project costings including materials quantities & specifications ;
- Input to multidisciplinary projects managed by others within TerraConsult;
- Internal Project Management: preparation of quotations, project planning, financial control and Invoicing;
- Complying with Designer Duties under the CDM regulations;
- Liaising with Public and Private Sector Clients, TerraConsult Project Managers, Third Party Organisations and Stakeholders;
Qualifications and experience
- Relevant degree in civil, water or environmental engineering or equivalent;
- Chartered or working towards Chartership;
- A minimum of 7 years of relevant post-graduate experience;
- Good, practical understanding of hydrology and hydraulic modelling (fluvial and sewer);
- Detailed knowledge of drainage design including Sustainable Urban Drainage Systems;
- Working knowledge of relevant UK codes of practice;
- Experience of WinDes Micro Drainage design software or similar;
- Strong business development skills, networking ability and involvement in wider industry forums, with the appropriate experience and contacts;
- UK driving licence.
Other areas of expertise which would be advantageous include use of CAD software, waste water treatment design, arid and/or tropical region hydrology & drainage, flood management/flood defence, interpretation of geotechnical reports and business development.
You will be part of a friendly, professional team in a growing company where your ideas, efforts and results will be welcomed, encouraged and rewarded.
The Company operates quality management procedures and a quality and environmental management system to BS EN ISO 9001 and 14001 certification respectively. ByrneLooby is an equal opportunity employer.