Principal Design Engineer
Rail / Civil Engineering
Location – York
“An exciting opportunity for a rail, civils Principal Design Engineer to join an established and busy in-house design team specialising in civil engineering projects in the rail sector”
Having secured a number of long term Frameworks with key clients, AmcoGiffen are further expanding our in-house Civil & Structural Design team. We have a number of positions available at various levels for engineers who are committed to delivering the optimum design solution, building on their experience, and furthering their professional development.
The in-house design team consists of specialist designers at various levels of competency responsible for design engineering on a variety of civils, rail and engineering projects and frameworks including CP6, asset management contracts, infrastructure projects and tendered rail / civils schemes.
Projects can typically include bridge re-construction/replacement, upgrades and refurbishments, station work (platforms etc.), access for all schemes, structures including bridges, tunnels and footbridges.
We are seeking a Principal Engineer for the In-house Design Team to further support AmcoGiffen
in undertaking both Permanent and Temporary Works Design across several long term
Frameworks that we have secured with a number of major Clients.
This is a lead role within the In-house Design Team, responsible for the technical aspects of
engineering projects in addition to programming, resource allocation, budgetary control,
managing customer satisfaction, reviews, coaching and recruitment. As Principal Design Engineer, your day to day role will include:
- Provide definitive technical guidance and leadership on engineering solutions
- Lead the resolution of any compliances with CDM Regulations.
- Define the brief, enabling the progression of innovative development of unambiguous
engineering solutions from feasibility through to detailed design.
- Lead the development of design philosophies of engineering solutions, ensuring appropriate
documentation is in place.
- Hold the CRE (Design) role on Network Rail schemes, over a varied range of projects including multi-disciplinary schemes.
- Check and approve design deliverables, including Designer’s Risk Assessments and Decision
- Be the lead representative at meetings with internal and/or external Clients and
- Ensure work is delivered within the team’s financial, quality and programme targets
- Provide strong leadership and motivation of teams, carrying out scheduled performance and
development reviews for direct reports
- Mentor and coach team members, and input in to succession planning.
- Keep Clients informed of costs or implications of change in a timely manner, and address any
queries/disputes which may arise.
- Assist the Head of Design in the management of the department
- Promote a culture of excellence in AmcoGiffen Design & Engineering towards its customers
To excel in this role, you will have previous experience as a Principal Design Engineer in a rail project environment.
- Minimum BEng / BSc Degree level of education.
- Chartered Member of a relevant Professional Body. (e.g. ICE / IStructE)
- Sentinel Personal Track Safety (PTS) competence in both AC and DC.
- Civil engineering project design experience – i.e. bridges, structures, stations, platforms etc.
- Candidates from a rail / civil & structural engineering design background with experience in client, contractor or consultancy organisations will be considered.
You will be joining a reputable and firmly established, engineering contractor operating nationally in rail, civils and engineering markets. AmcoGiffen are renowned in the market as a specialist civil, building, mechanical and electrical renewals and maintenance business with ongoing and successful projects and frameworks across the country, you will become part of our expert outfit.
- Competitive salary negotiable dependant on experience.
- Company car or car allowance
- 25 days holiday, plus bank holidays.
- Westfield Health Cash Plan
- Life Insurance
AmcoGiffen has a wealth of experience working on sensitive, live assets in highly regulated environments, we deliver exceptional peace of mind for our customers, creating and maintaining assets across a growing range of high-quality public and private sectors. These include rail, power generation, electricity distribution, flood defence and waterways.
AmcoGiffen are an Equal Opportunities Employer and we offer challenging and worthwhile careers to everyone. It doesn’t matter to us what your age, disability, employment status, gender, health, marital status, sexual preference, membership or non-membership of a trade union, nationality, race, religion or social class are, or indeed any other personal characteristics not directly related to the relevant job. Anyone who meets the requirements of the job is eligible for employment with AmcoGiffen.
If you think you have what it takes to join the AmcoGiffen family, please review the full Job Description attached and apply now!
Please contact for more information.