Dematic is a leading supplier of integrated automated technology, software and services to optimize the supply chain. Dematic employs over 7,000 skilled logistics professionals to serve its customers globally, with engineering centers and manufacturing facilities located around the world. Dematic is one brand under the KION Group of companies and has implemented more than 6,000 integrated systems for a customer base that includes small, medium and large companies doing business in a variety of market sectors.
Headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia, Dematic is a member of KION Group, a global leader in industrial trucks, related services and supply chain solutions. Across more than 100 countries worldwide, the KION Group designs, builds and supports logistics solutions that optimize material and information flow within factories, warehouses and distribution centers. The company is the largest manufacturer of industrial trucks in Europe, the second-largest producer of forklifts globally and a leading provider of warehouse automation.
To provide / lead / manage the design and implementation of controls solutions for automated materials handling systems. To promote consistent standards and continuous improvement within the design team. To guide, monitor and develop the solution and manage the cost, activities and budget.
Main Job Objectives
- Understand / Develop and Produce, Health and Safety Design Risk Assessments for Automated solutions to BS EN ISO 12100.
- To maintain good relationships with all internal and external customers, through provision of a high-quality service.
- To maintain the Dematic image as a top quality, professional company, by adopting an honest, professional and attentive approach.
Specific Responsibilities – Senior Engineer
- To interpret design input information to produce control system designs.
- Ensure systems designed and supplied are CE Compliant to the Machinery Directive and its harmonised norms.
- To co-ordinate and ensure consistent approach across a project for Electrical and Controls software design, working with teams across the Dematic regions to produce standardised designs.
- To work with Integration Mangers and Project Managers to Manage the technical delivery of projects.
- To take responsibility for controls budgetary and time restraints on projects
- To hold controls design reviews for relevant project
Specific Responsibilities - Electrical Design
- Oversee and Lead the production of all associated documentation including, but not limited to, design calculations, design specifications, operation and maintenance manuals and test specifications etc.
- Liaise with suppliers on technical matters regarding the procurement of electrical control panels and electrical installation.
- Provide technical guidance and be the point of contact for the electrical installation supervisors and subcontractors.
Specific Responsibilities – Controls Software Design
- To produce material flow and functional specifications
- To produce, lead and oversee PLC software and visualisation systems
- Factory testing of the control systems system prior to sending to site
- To assist in development of the global Dematic controls standard
Specific Responsibilities – Commissioning
- Produce, lead and oversee the required Health and Safety documentation for site activity including, but not limited to Method Statements and Risk Assessments
- To commission controls systems on site and to provide support to system commissioning activities.
- Develop / Agree / Manage Commissioning plans with Integration mangers and project management teams.
- Liaise with Project Sales and Project Engineers during all project phases.
- Liaise with Project Managers, customers and sub-contractors during order execution.
- Liaise with purchasing departments
- Provide technical information to support all departments, i.e. mechanical design, projects, sales, service, spares.
- Maintain and use wherever possible, standard product information for the execution of orders.
- Where necessary to develop special and new standard solutions to suit specific projects and new markets.
- Innovate wherever possible to improve our delivered product to the end customer (e.g. reduced price, reduced time-scale, improved functionality)
- Provide technical backup to the service team as required, including bug fixes, enhancements and modifications.
- Maintain and improve upon personal skills related to the position, through experience and training
For this role, you should have / be:
- Essential: Degree level of understanding in a technical engineering discipline.
- Desirable: Understanding / qualification in machinery safety
- Experience in a similar role is desirable
- Extensive hands on experience working within an industrial automation environment
- Advanced understanding of PLC, SCADA development tools
- A working understanding of electrical and electronic technical manuals & drawings
- Good understanding of distributed control systems
- Working knowledge of FEM and BS standards governing the automated warehouse industry
- Previous use of CAD tools