Price reporter for base metals markets in Europe, covering a range of metals markets to deliver price assessments, market-related news and analysis.
Educated to degree level, the reporter ideally has previous experience in an editorial environment, but crucially an interest in commodity and/or financial markets, a keen eye for detail, and a talent for communicating with stakeholders in the markets we cover.
Fastmarkets is a market-leading provider of pricing intelligence, which includes independent industry benchmarks for the metals, minerals and forestry products industries. Our global portfolio of news, analysis, conferences and insight services complements these price benchmarks.
Fastmarkets is looking for a price reporter to cover a range of markets within its base metals team in London, as part of a global team of reporters based in London, China, Singapore and New York.
The role focuses on pricing markets related to specific base metals sectors, producing price assessments, market reports, breaking news, interviews and in-depth features in these key global markets.
There is scope to review, launch, promote and defend prices that are used in physical contracts. Travel and engaging directly with market participants is also part of the role, so an outward-facing personality and a genuine interest in building and maintaining a contact base are key being a successful market reporter.
He or she will report to the base metals editor in London, and work closely with colleagues in London, New York, Shanghai and Singapore.
To foster expertise in one or several metal markets and produce quality prices and news in line with the company’s PRA approach. To work within a regional and global team to support the development and adoption of Fastmarkets' benchmark prices.
- Foster in-depth knowledge of the fundamentals, supply chain, end-uses and key participants for specific markets to generate representative prices and world-class content
- Collect pricing data and set prices in line with the company’s robust methodology, price specifications and IOSCO principles
- Back colleagues up on their pricing patches to provide cover and consistency for the market and build up a wider knowledge base
- Peer review prices to verify that processes have been followed and editorial judgement applied correctly to ensure our prices are representative
- Write market commentaries, breaking news, and insightful copy with a PRA perspective, to support the growth in readership and the use of Fastmarkets’ prices in physical and financial contracts.
- Manage and expand the number of industry contacts that submit pricing data and give news exclusives, using all means of communication including face-to-face meetings and networking
- Handle questions from contacts and the market about the dynamics of particular pricing sessions, seeking guidance from senior reporters or section editor when inquiries are sensitive, to make our processes and judgement transparent to the market
- Assist the section editor to review and manage the existing pipeline of prices and identify new price launch opportunities
- Help foster Fastmarkets’ prices and expertise through the team’s market engagement plan, which includes producing PRA content, white papers and infographics, participating to internal and external events, promoting the company on social media, and attending industry meeting.
Skills and knowledge
- A high level of written and spoken English. Knowledge of another language is helpful but not required.
- An interest in and understanding of financial markets and commodities.
- Strong networking and communication skills, and good confident telephone manner.
- Ability to work with discipline and dynamism, and to take initiatives to cover stories and to uncover information.
- Team player who fosters excellent working culture and acts - both internally and externally - in a courteous and professional manner with impeccable integrity.
- General curiosity in expanding market knowledge and commitment to join in projects and take part in training courses.
- Ability to work with numbers and spreadsheets and produce analytical editorial copy.
- People skills to answer queries about prices and particular pricing sessions