This is an exiciting Quantity Surveyor (QS) opportunity working for our EDF Framework in Sizewell, Suffolk.
Costain helps to improve people’s lives by deploying technology-based engineering solutions to meet urgent national needs across the UK’s energy, water and transportation infrastructures.
Costain supports Energy Nuclear Generation to maximise the lifespan of its eight UK nuclear power stations. Costain's role is to provide project controls and commercial managed services to portfolios and programmes of work across all of EDF's eight UK nuclear power stations. As part of this work Costain will develop people capability in core project control skills and provide specialist support to EDFs Central Technical Organisation to improve project performance and deliver cost efficiencies.
The Quantity Surveyor is responsible for providing Quantity Surveying support to the EDF Energy Generation work portfolio. The main focus will be to work with the Project team to assist in maintaining the commercial health and resourcing (by suppliers) for the portfolio of work. Additionally, the individual will assist in developing, promoting and maintaining a commercial capability for all projects through effective mobilisation of various EDF Energy Generation, Contractor and Supplier resources. This may be a site or centre based role.
Key Responsibilities & Outcomes
- Works closely with the CTO and Supply chain in developing the appropriate commercial / contractual strategies
- Carries out assessments of overall commercial and contractual health and supplier resourcing capability for the EDF Energy Generation projects portfolio
- Delivery of the procurement of consultant, supply chain and contracting services relating to the EDF Energy Generation portfolio
- Liaising with EDF Energy Generation Supply Chain to ensure that corporate Supply Chain strategy, policy and procedures are implemented by projects
- Supporting the Project Manager in the process of challenge / validation of estimates and development of the business cases for various project “gateway” sanctions
- Ensure effective project governance procedures are in place, in particular record keeping, contract administration/correspondence and change management and is responsible to the Project Manager/ Project Portfolio Manager for the effective management of the contract obligations/timescales/ processes
- Processes, reviews and recommends valuations for projects including verifying man hour returns, site costs, etc
- Carrying out audits (as required) on suppliers
- Advise on commercial correspondence with particular regard to correspondence concerning valuations/estimations of projects within the regional portfolio
- Attending commercial meetings (as required) and providing input on contractual / commercial issues
- Producing monthly reports to the Project Manager on project costs (incorporating a measure of cost from outset)
- Final account closeout
- Assessment of any applicable contractual incentive mechanisms
The Practitioner Quantity Surveyor will have Nuclear experience and have a good multi discipline pre & post contract commerical knowledge & experience. Must be diligent, accurate and be proactive team player with a capacity to interface at all levels. Should be able to work to tight deadlines in a highly regulated enviorment. The ideal Quantity Surveyor would also have significant experience in a Quantity Surveying Environment, Relevant commercial and procurement experience within a Multi Discipline construction organisation and Experienced in major client and contracting organisations in appropriate industry sectors.
- Working knowledge of relevant Health and Safety legislation and current CDM Regulations
- Note: directed reading of INV/GN/009, BEG/SPEC/SHE/COP/008 and BEG/TRNG/SWB/603/0055/01 will be required to gain an insight into the application of CDM Regulations within the business
- Proven project and commercial management success
- An analytical bias with the ability to provide solutions to issues
- Well versed in modern commercial management techniques within complex, multi-functional organisations/ project environments
- Understanding of commercial, contractual and financial project drivers
- Understanding of commercial contracting strategies within an engineering environment
- Exhibits a strong awareness of the level of interaction required with the project team function to support the successful delivery of projects
- Good working contractual/legal knowledge
- An understanding of delivery techniques in regulated markets
- Minimum of HNC/HND in an Engineering discipline or equivalent
- Professional membership of an appropriate professional body (e.g. RICS)
- MACostE desirable
Why work for us?
Talent comes in many different guises. At Costain we recognise this and work with employees to take them where they want to go rather than where we think they should go. We are fully committed to creating a safe place to work, where everyone can be at their best, every day. A workplace where everyone can be their true self, feel valued and understood for who they are and what makes them unique.
As a mark of our progress we were named as a Times Top 50 Employer for Women in 2018 and again in 2019. In addition to this, we have won various awards, including IChemE Diversity and Inclusion, Women in Science and Engineering (WISE) Employer of the year and a Business in the Community (BITC) Game Changer award. Manchester and London Pride parades are now established dates in the Costain calendar, and we are proud to be a Stonewall diversity champion. We are a member of Working Families, an early signatory to the BITC Race Charter and a Disability Confident Committed employer.
Costain value that everyone is different and by being different, our people can bring their own valuable contribution to the business. Creating an inclusive culture makes us more able to recruit, retain and progress a diverse workforce, increasing employee engagement and experiencing higher levels of wellbeing.
Our employee benefits
We’re dedicated to providing a broad range of rewards and benefits. As well as a competitive salary, our employees enjoy a comprehensive core benefits package which includes:
- Group Pension Plan, to help you save for the future
- Employee Assistance Programme, to help employees and their families balance the pressures of work and home life
- Incentive payments to recognise high-performance
- Life assurance, to help protect your loved ones financially
- Funded membership to a professional Institute
- Private healthcare and dental packages
- Salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme
- Discounted gym membership, to keep you as fit and as healthy as you can be
- Volunteering days, so you can give back to your local community
- Save as You Earn (SAYE) scheme, that lets you save towards buying shares in Costain
Costain, and the Armed Forces
We actively encourage applications from candidates who have a relationship with the armed forces community whether as a currently serving member or reservist, ex-military or wounded personnel or as a member of a service family.
Right to Work & Security Checks
Understandably given the nature of our business, everyone who is employed at Costain must undergo thorough referencing checks. We will need different information depending on the job we have offered you. For all roles, we'll carry out a criminal record check and we’ll ask to see evidence that you have the legal right to work in the UK. You may be required to obtain and maintain security clearance of at least Security Check level (or SC clearance). To satisfy the requirements, you will need to have been a legal UK resident for a minimum of 5 years and have successfully complete all stages of the vetting process.
Please note that Costain reserves the right to bring forward the closing date of any of its job vacancies if we receive a suitable number of quality applications from which to make a shortlist. Therefore, we recommend at you apply as soon as possible rather than wait until the published closing date.