HOURS OF DUTY: Full Time or Part Time
REPORTS TO: Head of Marketing and Communications
KEY RELATIONSHIPS: Marketing and Communications team, Fundraising team,
Hospice volunteers and staff; local media contacts; local community groups
The PR and Communications Manager will proactively increase the profile of Saint Francis Hospice and end of life care across a range of media both on and offline. The job holder will focus their work strategically around the Hospice’s strategy and contribute to future developments and objectives working in conjunction with the Head of Marketing and Communications.
The PR and Communications Manager will deliver communications activities that support the organisations strategic objectives and work alongside fundraising, retail and patient-focused areas to support and enhance their activities.
The post holder is responsible for proactive PR, external communications and media handling on behalf of the Hospice. They will support internal communications, be responsible for maintaining the news section of the Hospice website, and contribute to the Marketing and Communications strategy.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage the day to day external communication from Saint Francis Hospice – working to the overarching departmental plan
- Contribute to the production of hospice publications, including annual reports, staff newsletter, internal publications and corporate leaflets, maintaining a consistent style and tone of language
- Ensure key messages and marketing campaigns are integrated across the organisation, maximising any external opportunities
- Deliver the internal communication activities, including intranet updates and staff communication, supported by the Head of M&C.
- Develop an effective communications service, by providing advice, guidance and support to colleagues across the organization
- Live cover of events/activities as required, to include updates on social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Responsible for generic Hospice activity through all digital channels including email marketing, social media marketing, online advertising, SEO and PPC
- To manage the non-income generating pages on the Hospice website, ensuring content is always up to date and information available
- Responsible for the timely updating of the Hospice website with all news articles, written and optimised for web
- Organise photo calls, respond to media requests, actively seek opportunities for PR
- Contribute to the department plan and log all requests for PR and communications and manage the work flow and scheduling to meet production deadlines
- Write up and manage a library of patient stories/case studies for use in PR activity and marketing activity such as direct mail campaigns and appeals
- Oversee positive media relations, including crisis management and the planning of a broad programme of press activity to a range of media outlets in conjunction with the activity/plan of the Marketing and Communications team
- Develop a good working relationship with key media contacts, locally, regionally and nationally and develop a network of key contacts
- Identify and maximize on PR opportunities, generating news stories and placing press material using recourse across the team and freelance support where appropriate
- To organize the planning of PR/media releases and work collaboratively with hospice teams to ensure priorities are planned and workload is managed accordingly
- Provide monthly media reports to the Head of Marketing and Communications, working with the Social Media Executive to ensure a fully integrated approach to the analytics of our coverage
- Develop technical skills and stay abreast of software changes, trends and new ideas
- Maintain the filing systems of images to ensure good housekeeping
- Support and share general duties with the Marketing and Communications team as directed by the Head of Marketing and Communications, to include the attendance of events and engagements where appropriate at evening and weekends
- Undertake any other duties as requested by the Head of Marketing and Communications and Marketing and/or Director of Fundraising and Marketing
- To share best practice with colleagues, especially in relation to new approaches to work
- To contribute to the effective development of the team, providing personal support where needed
- To actively contribute and suggest on how improvements could be made to improve the work load if necessary.
- To provide continuity of service in respect of colleagues being on annual leave, sick leave etc
- To actively look for new opportunities and areas for self-development using the Hospice annual appraisal to ensure skills are kept relevant and up to date
- To develop effective relationships with colleagues and be aware of personal style
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS OF POSTHOLDER
SENSITIVITY AND PROFESSIONALISM: As an employee of Saint Francis Hospice you should expect that it is likely that you will come into contact with patients, their families and members of the public who are at the end of life or recently bereaved. All employees are expected to respond to people recounting and expressing their emotions about such events with sensitivity and understanding, and to know enough about the services that the Hospice provides to be able to signpost people who may benefit from our services to the relevant contacts.
CONFIDENTIALITY: The post holder must maintain confidentiality, security and integrity of information relating to patients, staff and other hospice matter during the course of duty. Any breach of Confidentiality may become a disciplinary issue.
DATA PROTECTION: It is the responsibility of all staff to be aware of their obligations in respect of the Data Protection Act 1998.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITES: The hospice is committed to the development of positive policies to promote equal opportunity in employment and has a clear commitment to equal opportunities. All employees have a responsibility to ensure that they understand the standards expected and that they promote and adhere to the equal opportunity measures adopted by the hospice.
HEALTH AND SAFETY: All staff must be familiar with section 2 of the Health & Safety Policy, Organisation of Health and Safety. This documents sets out the responsibilities of all staff for health and safety, whether in a supervisory capacity or not. Policy section 3 (arrangements for Health and Safety) provides an overview of training for competence in Health and Safety matters.
HOSPICE IDENTITY BADGES: Hospice ID badges must be worn at all times whilst on duty.
SMOKING: The hospice acknowledges its responsibility to provide a safe, smoke free environment, for its employees, service users and visitors. Smoking is therefore not permitted at any point whilst on duty, in accordance with the guidelines set down within the Hospice No Smoking Policy.
REGISTRATION COMPLIANCE/CODE OF CONDUCT: All employees who are required to register with a professional body to enable them to practice within their profession are required to comply with their code of conduct and requirements of their professional registration.
WORKING TIME REGULATIONS: The ‘Working Time Regulations 1998’ require that you should not work more than an average of 48 hours in each week. For example, in a 26 week period you should work no more than 1248 hours.
Please note that this job description is not definitive or restrictive in any way. It is a guide to the responsibilities of the role. It may be reviewed, in consultation with the post holder, in light of changing circumstances and the changing needs of the Hospice.
The post holder will be expected to perform any other such duties as might reasonably be required by the Director and will work in accordance with all Hospice Policies and Procedures.
In an emergency, all staff may be required to work different hours or carry out different tasks to those set out in their contracts of employment. This will be done in consultation with individuals and taking into account any special circumstances that may exist.
PR AND COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER
Education & Training
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- Communications, PR, Journalism a or marketing qualification
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills and the ability to communicate, engage and build relationships with a wide range of audiences across the organisation and externally
- Ability to write engaging content - including writing for the web - editing & proofreading skills
- Ability to work under pressure, plan and prioritise work and meet deadlines
- Good knowledge of using social media to support campaigns and to engage existing and potential supporters
- Ability to manage own workload, working simultaneously on different projects
- Ability to engage individuals, identify and elicit stories and follow up leads
- Ability to summarise and present complex information to a wide range of audiences
- Proactive approach, highly organised and high attention to detail
- Problem solving
- Ability to work within a team as well as independently
- Excellent IT skills including Marketing/Comms related packages, Word, Access, Excel & email
- Multimedia and photography expertise
- Significant communications and marketing experience
- Proven and demonstrable experience of developing media strategies and relations, preparing press releases
- Experience of planned integrated MarComms campaigns using the full marketing/PR mix
- Understanding of the design and print process and of commissioning work
- Experience of effective time management and prioritising conflicting workloads successfully
- Proven experience of generating media coverage and identifying angles
- Utilise tact and diplomacy especially when dealing with patients, care teams and those involved in a person’s care or illness
- Willingness to travel and work flexible hours
Education & Training
- Membership of a relevant professional body
- Post graduate or further professional qualification e.g. CIM, CIPR
- Digital qualification or equivalent experience
- Good knowledge of fundraising best practice
- General interest in the hospice movement or personal experience of hospice care
- Marketing/direct marketing experience
- Experience of managing and monitoring budgets