The Railway industry today is characterized by both a strong and sustained growth across the world. The trends that drive this are well known: environmental challenges, population growth, urbanization and increasing demands for mobility. With 6B€ of Sales and around 30,000 employees based in over 60 countries, Alstom develop & market the most complete range of systems, equipment and services offered today in the railway sector. Today we offer our customers solutions that feature a seamless blend of diverse technologies, ensuring optimal interfaces, along with flexible implementation and real synergy in innovation
ALSTOM (Turnover: €6 Billion) is a leading company in railway business delivering and maintaining railway systems that meet daily new challenges for smarter mobility. Alstom designs sustainable and integrated rail solutions which are technically and environmentally efficient.
Alstom are the market leader to offer train control solutions to meet our customer requirements for design, installation, testing, commissioning and product support for signalling, power and telecommunications applications in the UK.
As a rapidly growing organisation, we are very keen to recruit new talent to our team, so please ensure you regularly visit our Careers page
Alstom require an Electrical Power Design Engineer (EPDE) to provide the design and production of power systems and subsystem interfaces for Alstom Transport project solutions throughout he UK. The role is situated within the Power Department of Alstom Signalling Systems & Infrastructure (S,S&I), to be based in our York Office; for the right candidate our other locations Birmingham, Derby, or Radlett may be considered. The EPDE will report directly to the Power Engineering Manager, whilst deployed on projects the EPDE reports into the Contracts Engineering Manager & Project Management. The EPDE will provide the design and production of power systems and subsystem interfaces for Alstom Transport project solutions. The EPDE also is required to liaise with external power industry committees whilst also dealing with internal stake holders such as project managers and directors, bid managers and the business development community.
The Electrical Power Design Engineer is required to be technically competent in the accurate, compliant, timely and cost effective delivery of electrical design solutions that are allocated. Whilst also undertaking a number of responsibilities such as (but not limited to): -
- To provide electrical and power technical support to the business.
- To act as the discipline representative for power or Power Project Engineer on allocated schemes of work
- To support the works package management on discipline deliverables
- To provide design production of electrical schemes and systems
- To support the Power Department in undertaking internal and external technical investigations.
- To act as technical contact and liaison with clients and sub-contractors in order to resolve outstanding technical issues.
- To support the production of regular reports on the power project scope performance.
- To assist the management team in making strategic decisions.
- To support the timely delivery of work package design, implementation, testing and commissioning.
- To support the monitoring of contracts involving electric and power monitoring that they are technically compliant with relevant group and company standards.
- To attend networking meetings with other partner and with external companies.
- To support the Power Department in regular technical / safety briefing of all relevant staff.
- To support the Power Department in the review of new or altered electrical and power documents to consider their impact on the business.
- To comply with and undertake all relevant Environment, Health & Safety measures and activities.
In order to be successful in the role of the Electrical Power Design Engineer, the successful candidate will need to be technically responsible for the accurate, complaint, timely and cost effective delivery of electrical design solutions that are allocated. As such they will also need to have the following skills, experience and education: -
- Degree level education in an Electrical/Electronic Engineering discipline or equivalent.
- Working knowledge in the design and operation of one or more of the following fields:- signalling power distribution, LV up to 50kVac, and London Underground power systems.
- Knowledge of uninterruptable power supply (UPS) system integration and configuration.
- Knowledge of Programme Logic Controllers (PLC) and SCADA alarm systems.
- Knowledge of Auto Reconfiguration Power Systems.
- Knowledge of Project programming of resources and activities.
- Knowledge of railway earthing and bonding practices.
- Proven ability to manage own tasks, work load and deliverables.
- Technical troubleshooting and fault finding skills.
- Communication skills both technical and business related, with the ability to present technical information to non-technical stakeholders.
- Electrical design, testing and installation within the railway environment.
- In depth knowledge of group and client company standards.
- Understanding of appropriate legislation.
- In depth knowledge of railway construction methods and materials used.
- Detailed understanding of Electricity at Work Act and CDM Regulations.
- Member of IET, and working towards CEng.
- Team managerial experience
- Knowledge of Class II systems.
- Working knowledge of Autocad Electrical
- Working knowledge of Electrical desgin packages such as Amtech or equivalent
At Alstom UK and Ireland, we offer you the opportunity to unleash your potential and help drive our organisation forward. We are striving to be an employer that delivers on equality and diversity in the workplace. We do this by seeking to create an inclusive, fair and respectful environment for all our current and future employees. As a 'Disability Committed' employer, we will interview all disabled job applicants who match the essential criteria of the job description or specification. More information about Alstom can be found at: www.alstom.com/uk
At Alstom Transport, we offer you the opportunity to unleash your potential and help drive our organisation forward. In the UK and Ireland, we are striving to be an employer that delivers on equality and diversity in the workplace. We do this by seeking to create an inclusive, fair and respectful environment for all our current and future employees. As a 'Disability Committed' employer, we will interview all disabled job applicants who match the essential criteria of the job description/specification.
Job Type: #LI-NE1
Job Segment:Telecom, Telecommunications, Business Development, Supply, Technical Support, Technology, Sales, Operations