Plant Accountant - March, Cambridgeshire
Our client is a world leader in packaging, employing over 45,000 employees in 21 countries in Europe and 13 in the Americas. The group collaborates with forward thinking customers by sharing superior product knowledge, market understanding and insights into packaging trends to ensure business success in their markets. They have an unrivalled portfolio of paper-based packaging solutions which is constantly updated with market-leading innovations.
They currently have an exciting and challenging vacancy for a Plant Accountant based at March, Cambridgeshire.
The Plant Accountant will support the finance department through provision of both professional, reliable and accurate reporting on business performance with responsibility for the trial balance and management of accounting team.
This is a great opportunity for someone to progress and develop their operational and leadership skills for the future.
* Provide professional, reliable and accurate and timely reporting on business performance
* Be number 2 to the site Financial Controller
* Support Health and Safety initiatives at March
* Be responsible for the finance team / reception
* Responsibility for control of general ledger
* Perform month-end close activities such as producing and reviewing reports, posting journal entries, reviewing and reconciling accounts, and calculating accruals, provisions and prepayments
* Ensure the team maintain "good housekeeping” of GRIR account and open purchase orders
* Maintenance of fixed asset register and depreciation expense calculations
* Maintain inventory control log and ensure that stock takes are carried out in accordance with group policy. Issue stocktake instructions and ensure that results are reported, reviewed, approved and reconciled. Attend stocktakes as required.
* Ensure disposals of finished goods are properly authorised and verify that the Despatch team have removed the goods from Cobis.
* Maintain effective business controls to ensure costs are controlled and profit is maximised.
* Prepare monthly management pack of financial and operational results.
* Investigate variances between actual and expected performance as needed.
* Update cost and budget information for budget managers on a weekly basis.
* Meet with budget managers to review costs and answer questions.
* Act as budget manager for selected accounts and seek to manage, forecast, and reduce costs.
* Present cost versus forecasted data for these accounts at the monthly finance meeting.
* Assist the FC as needed in preparing the budget and reforecast data submitted to Group
* Based on review of budgets and discussions with budget managers, communicate and known potential overspends to senior and regional management.
* Oversee the Credit Controller and insure that invoices, credits and debits are raised in an accurate and timely manner.
* Direct and support the Credit Controller to ensure that accounts receivable are regularly paid and that aged debt is minimised.
* Support the Credit Controller in ensuring that all new customers are properly reviewed and approved prior to set up.
* Liaise with Customer Service Manager and team to ensure that customer credits and debits are being processed in a timely and accurate manner
* Prepare and submit regular and ad hoc reporting to Group within Group deadlines, such as the Fuel Scale Charges and quarterly Intrastat reconciliations
* Submit Intrastat and EC Sales data to HMRC
* Report on requested National Statistics
* Review and release purchase orders in SAP for selected GL accounts
* Provide cover for goods receipting in SAP as needed
* Review and resolving webcycle queries
* Assist line managers with and submit vendor creation requests
* Review and ensure the integrity of the monthly payroll
* Ensure payment of expenses in accordance with the company policy and Inland Revenue rules.
* Ensure payroll and employee expenses are recorded in the appropriate general ledger accounts
* In conjunction with HR, ensure that overtime worked and holidays taken and earned are tracked accurately in TMS, so that monthly TMS reports can be relied upon for month-end accruals
Managing a Team
* Lead team meetings
* Carry out regular one to one's and appraisals
* Motivate and lead the team by setting objectives and giving feedback and praise
* Delegate duties to ensure the team meets its objectives
* Ensure training needs are identified and that training is provided
* Decision Making - Able to make decisions in line with group policies and procedures
* Listening Skills - High standard required in order to do the job effectively
* Problem Solving - Assertive with an approachable, can do attitude and the ability to persuade in order to get the job done
* Negotiation - Problem solving
* Attention to detail - is essential for both applying information onto SAP and COBIS for accounts as well as data entry for payroll
Systems and Programmes utilised
* Microsoft Excel and other Microsoft Office products
* Top 10 in Ops Excellence
* BI Executive Viewer
If you would like to apply for this position, please apply now via the company's online recruitment process.