At Ridge and Partners we are looking to provide an opportunity for an undergraduate Quantity Surveyor to work for us on their placement year. We want to give you an opportunity to put into practice what you’ve learnt in your degree so far and to get a real feel for what you’ll be doing in your chosen career.
During your placement you will work with our experienced Cost Management team, giving you the chance to test your technical skills and get a taste of what it’s like to be part of an award-winning consultancy. And our Cost Management team contains a vast amount of knowledge, expertise and experience gained from developing partnerships with private and public sector clients and supply chain partners from all around the world, working on over 70 long-term framework agreements.
We’ll give you a realistic view of the world of Cost Management which in turn will help you decide if it’s the career for you.
- Assist in the provision of building cost advice including preparation of feasibility estimates, cost plans, pre-tender estimates and the like
- Evaluation of the cost of alternative proposals, construction methods, materials etc
- Advice on contract arrangements and conditions under which building will be constructed
- Preparation of bills of quantities including measurement, editing, printing etc
- Evaluation of tenders and reporting thereon
- Preparation of cost reports
- Preparation of final accounts
- Assist with filing of project documentation and ensuring compliance with QA requirements
- Undertake measurement in accordance with defined standards
- Undertake cost research, market testing, data capture etc
- Visit building sites for the purposes of measurement, valuations, recording of progress
- Register drawings and other documents receive
- Preparation and collation of tender documents
- Arithmetical checking of documents and calculations
- Reviewing of drawings and specifications, tabulation of changes and estimation of cost variances
- Following practice procedures generally and with regards to ‘Best Practice’ documentation
To be studying towards a degree in Cost Management/Quantity Surveying: candidates to have completed at least two years of study prior to the commencement of the placement.
- Competent in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
- Be presentable & client facing
- A positive 'can do' attitude
- A keenness & willingness to learn
- Methodical and organised
- Attentive to detail
- ‘Team player’
We always look to recruit those students who have impressed us during their placements, so remember this could be the start of your career with Ridge and Partners.
Ridge is an award winning, UK top 20 multi-discipline property and construction consultancy with over 600 people. Core disciplines include Project Management, Cost Management, Building Surveying, Civil Engineering, Structural Engineering, Building Services Engineering, Building Services Maintenance Management, Property Consultancy, Architecture, Health & Safety, Sustainability, Expert Witness & Advisory Services, Traffic & Transportation, Infrastructure Commercial Management, Geo-Environmental and Town & Country Planning. In addition, we provide property consultancy expertise for asset management, modern procurement, planned maintenance programmes, innovative strategies and holistic delivery planning.
We maintain a spread of projects across all public and private sector markets from affordable housing to Formula One which is the essence of our strength in the depth and diverse range of our activity. All services are accredited to BS EN ISO9001 2015 for quality, ISO14001 environmental and ISO18001 Health & Safety. Ridge has been successfully operating since 1946 and now employs over 600 people in 11 offices across the UK and has delivered projects in 75 countries worldwide.