From the videos, music and documents we share with friends and family on social networks, to the servers that form the backbone of enterprise data centers and cloud-based computing, to the desktop and notebook computers that fuel our personal productivity, Seagate products help more people store, share and protect their valuable digital content. With 97% of the world’s information being stored on hard drives, the rapid growth of digital data makes Seagate more important every day. As an industry leader, Seagate provides unique career opportunities to be part of today’s major technology shifts. We can be found around the globe and at www.seagate.com.
Seagate’s facility in Londonderry is among the most advanced in the world in the design, development and volume manufacturing of recording heads, which write information onto and read information from the recording disc within the data storage device.
Photonics Scientist (Ref: PS/190669)
Working within the R&D department, the successful candidate will apply the latest understanding of device physics, microfabrication, photonics and materials technology to meet the challenges of this fast moving environment with responsibility for technologies relating to HAMR light delivery for Seagate’s product roadmap for future products.
The successful candidate will have excellent technical capabilities with expertise in the field of photonics, laser design and/or fabrication, plasmonicsand material technologies.
Duties will include:
● Defining technological vision and roadmap for photonics integration in HAMR.
● Ownership of evaluations relating to semiconductor diode lasers & light delivery paths.
● Identification and deployment of advanced photonic technologies, designs and materials for integrated HAMR recording heads.
● Application and development of optical and electrical test strategies and methods.
● Optical test development and characterisation of integrated photonic devices and systems.
● Optical, electronic, and thermal modelling in support of experimental efforts.
● Mask layout and process development (lithography, wet etching, plasma etching, metal and dielectric deposition systems, implantation, and oxidation).
● Representing development team at customer meetings.
● Coordinating the delivery of advanced prototypes to internal and external customers for advanced testing or product build evaluations.
Reporting to the Research & Development Manager, the successful candidate will work within an established team defining and driving these leading edge technologies into future data storage products.
Applicants must possess at least a 2.2 Honours degree in a relevant engineering or science discipline such as physics, optics, optoelectronics, chemistry, materials, and microelectronics, combined with at least 2 years relevant experience. A Masters level qualification or PhD in a relevant field would be desirable. Applicants must demonstrate their experience and knowledge of photonics within their application and CV applications will not be accepted.
Our competitive compensation & benefits package is reflective of Seagate’s “best in class” philosophy and includes a pension scheme, health insurance scheme, stock purchase plan, onsite gym and tuition assistance. For individuals with the drive to make a real contribution, the company offers exciting opportunities for growth. Seagate will provide you with the tools and support that you need to succeed within an established cutting edge company with a genuine commitment to training and development. Salary may vary depending on experience and qualification level.
If you require an alternative method of application, please email STST.email@example.com or telephone the Applications helpdesk on 02871 274174. Please note that you must demonstrate on the application how you meet the criteria for the role as identified above.
Completed applications should be submitted no later than 4pm on Friday 5thApril 2019
Seagate Technology is committed to equal opportunity in employment and welcomes applications from all sections of the community irrespective of sex, marital status, religious affiliation, age, disability or ethnic origin. The Company specifically welcomes applications from the protestant community who are currently underrepresented in this job category. All applications will be considered strictly on the basis of merit.