As one of the world’s leading analytical instrumentation companies, Bruker covers a broad spectrum of advanced solutions in all fields of research and development. All our systems and instruments are designed to improve safety of products, accelerate time-to-market and support industries in successfully enhancing quality of life. We’ve been driving innovation in analytical instrumentation for 50 years now. Today, worldwide more than 6,000 employees are working on this permanent challenge, at over 70 locations on all continents.
The function of the NMR Applications Scientist is to work with colleagues in the NMR Sales and Applications team in supporting existing users and attracting new customers through scientific and technical support and training.
The primary objectives are:
- to further the Company’s unrivalled reputation for training and support of spectrometer users
- to enhance the potential for sales through high-standard instrument demonstrations and technical explanations.
Activities will cover all current NMR techniques and NMR products manufactured or represented by the Company, which while the majority will be based on solution state instruments may also include solid-state, imaging, and time-domain equipment. Appropriate use will be made of particular skills or experience as opportunities arise.
Job duties will include the following tasks:
- providing support for existing users, including training of new users, mainly at the customer’s site, but also at formal training courses held at the Coventry laboratories
- customer support by telephone and email, which may involve resolution of problems using in-house equipment and liaison with colleagues in the service and applications departments both in the UK and abroad
- carrying out demonstrations of NMR equipment to a highly professional standard, usually at our Coventry demonstration laboratory, and assisting in the upkeep of in-house instrumentation
- working with our specialist NMR sales team in other sales related activities, such as providing technical information to prospective customers, via telephone or email, or by accompanying sales specialists at meetings with prospective customers
- occasional support for local marketing activities by an involvement in the identification of new promotional opportunities and by providing technical input (such as spectroscopic data and technical text) and comment regarding promotional materials and advertising
- scientific support of the Service Engineering Team with appropriate specialist scientific input, by direct telephone assistance, carrying out tests in the Coventry laboratory or, occasionally, by working alongside the Service Engineer at the customer’s premises.
All duties will be carried out in a timely fashion to meet internally and externally imposed deadlines, and to a very high standard of presentation.
The position reports to the NMR Applications Team Leader, who will set day-to-day priorities, agree expectations, offer guidance as necessary and provide framework support.
The position is based at our Coventry office. Although frequent travel within the UK and abroad is an essential part of the job, regular attendance at the Coventry office will be a requirement of the job.
To carry out the duties to the level expected, the minimum competencies are:
- outgoing and good at building relationships through inspiring trust and confidence
- a very high degree of scientific credibility and ability to discuss and persuade at an academic level
- self-motivation and a willingness to work with others toward a shared goal
- the ability to contribute to a team effort, yet to accept responsibility for an individual role within the team
- well organised and able to decide priorities in a rapidly changing commercial environment
- willingness to travel and to work away from home, throughout the UK, Ireland and occasionally in mainland Europe
- a very high standard of personal presentation
- a PhD level qualification or equivalent in an appropriate science discipline
- current valid driving licence
- no visa or other restriction preventing travel in the USA or EU
Skills and Experience
- a good understanding of the principles of NMR spectroscopy, and of NMR hardware and software, together with knowledge of modern NMR techniques and applications to chemical analysis
- practical experience of operating modern Bruker NMR equipment
- ability to understand the requirements of customers and to set-up and prepare instrumentation to meet those needs, both in the demonstration environment and at customers’ own laboratories
- a good working knowledge of MS-Office for document generation and presentations
- excellent communication skills in English, written and spoken.
The achievement of set objectives, training requirements and further career development possibilities will be assessed by means of an annual review.