MHPS-EU is responding to the dynamic energy market and changing energy mix by developing products in a wide range of existing and new technologies. The Engineering Team are leading the technical development and evolution of these projects in addition to our core business (gas/steam turbines and generators) to bring added value to our customers. The main areas of development are hydrogen firing and flexible operation; energy storage, fuel cells, grid-balancing (inertia) and carbon capture. We are also working to improve the scope of data analytics and its application to enhance the operation & maintenance of equipment by MHPS “Tomoni”, aiming to deliver an “Autonomous Power Plant”.
The New Technology Development Engineer will report to Engineering Manager/Director and will liaise with other internal teams and product delivery groups within the MHPS group companies and other external companies.
- MHPS-EU are seeking a “New Technology Development Engineer” to work and lead the new technology products development area of GTCC (Gas & Steam Turbine) and Thermal Steam power applications.
- The New Technology Development Engineer will liaise with other product development groups and teams within MHPS and subsidiary group companies in order to evaluate requirements and develop technical solutions that will meet end-user expectations. They will also work in conjunction with internal customer facing teams, acting as the key Technical Advisor and product advocate for enhancement and upgrades of the power plant.
- The role will be required to work and support on Power & Energy Solution Business (PESB) development solutions/products.
- The role is required to evaluate/feasibility of the PESB product applications for GTCC power plants.
- The role requires strong combustion system knowledge to work with Hydrogen Firing technology.
- A flexible and entrepreneurial Engineer will be able to understand and assess the feasibility of products within the MHI/MHPS group as well as researching more developmental offerings from start-ups or EU based organisations. Resulting in package solutions of interest for existing and new customers.
- The successful applicant will be responsible for providing the Engineering department with a detailed understanding of a wide range of technologies across the EMEA region. Proposing additional solutions or technologies of interest, and developing a pipeline of novel technologies for review, along with detailed project plans to take them through the evaluation process and beyond.
- To demonstrate a detailed understanding of energy systems especially relating to Gas/Steam turbines, as well as:
- Combustion Dynamics and design
- Energy storage system
- Fuel cells
- Hydrogen and ammonia production
- Carbon Capture
- Tomoni Applications
- To understand the potential for data-analytics for system monitoring, real-time analysis and predictive maintenance.
- Respond to internal and external customer requests for technical clarifications/resolution, using technical product knowledge and analytical skills while adhering to sound engineering principles, standards, practices, procedures.
- Identify and evaluate new project development opportunities, ideas and technologies.
- Evaluate customer requests, and match to technologies under consideration within the team.
- Research and investigate technologies/solutions to supplement existing technology.
- Develop project plans from concept to delivery, including technical milestones and outline business cases including:
- Coordination of technical due diligence process
- Screening/evaluation of technical feasibility/profitability
- Manage project progression and identify and resolve issues – escalating when required.
- Communicate clearly with multiple departments and internal/external partners to clarify and document all project-related issues allowing progression and evaluation throughout the project life.
- Preparation and management of technical documentation, reports, specifications and drawings required to support the project, to the corporate (and external if required) standards.
- Analysis of customers and market potential as well as competing or alternative technologies.
- Provide commercial teams with technical support for sales and services proposal activities, including tender reviews and negotiations.
- Travel typically within EMEA, (and occasionally in other regions) , when required to visit customers sites, partner organisations, presentations or technical investigations.
- Development of proactive working procedures for future work efficiency.
- Responsible for solving the customer’s technical issues (“end” Customer and “internal” Customer) when assigned by the Engineering leadership team.
- To write and or revise Quality Management procedures as and when required.
- Ability to understand the voice of customer (VOC) and articulate VOC into executable tasks.
- Participate in proactive team efforts to achieve departmental and company goals.
- Customer-focused with agrowth mind-set and proven ability to respond quickly to meet the customer needs.
- Ability to work autonomously, take lead in development of solutions, whilst working to deadlines.
- Maintain the highest degree of honesty and integrity at all times in line with the company values.
- To know and implement the quality policy of MHPS-EU.
- Comply with all safety policies, practices and procedures at all times.
- Protect confidential information by not communicating, disclosing to, or using for benefit of third parties.
- Ability to proactively identify and resolve technical issues.
- Bachelors or Master’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering with a high level of understanding of at least one of the following:
- Gas/Steam turbine mechanics and operation
- Artificial intelligence and data analytics
- Knowledge and proven experience of energy market.
- Ability to plan and develop technical projects.
- Ability to prioritise workflow and deliver high quality feedback in a timely fashion.
- Effective customer service skills.
- Demonstrable organizational skills.
- Sound oral and written communication skills.
- Good interpersonal skills and team-orientated approach.
- Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team with people with different cultures and nationalities.
- Fluency in business English, knowledge of Japanese would be an advantage but not essential.
- Ability to produce technical reports in English.
- Good knowledge of MS Office suite, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
You will be able to demonstrate alignment to MHPS Core Values:Discipline & Patience,Creativity & Innovation,Humility & Empathy,Passion & Effort,Accountability & Responsibility,Forward Thinking & Working as One.
MHPS-EU is an equal opportunity employer. It is MHPS-EU’s policy that all persons shall have an equal opportunity for employment and advancement on the basis of ability, necessary qualifications and fitness for work irrespective of gender, sexual orientation, marital status, civil partnership, race, religion or belief, national or ethnic origin, disability, age.