The Economist is the leading source of analysis on international business and world affairs. We deliver our information through a range of formats, from newspapers and magazines to conferences and electronic services. What ties us together is the objectivity of our opinion, the originality of our insight and our advocacy of economic and political freedom around the world.
The Digital Revenue team’s goal is to develop, deliver and grow revenues from both existing and new prospects across The Economist Group’s (TEG) entire digital product offering (display, native, mobile, programmatic, video, audio, films, apps, social & audience targeting).
As a core part of the Digital Revenue team - the Media Strategy team are tasked specifically with helping our advertisers use TEG’s digital solutions to achieve their goals by developing campaigns that increase brand awareness, achieve client KPIs and generate return on investment. The Media Strategist is the primary point of contact for the sales team in the creation of strategic, well-conceived proposals that best utilize all of the tools available in The Economist Group’s product set. The Media Strategist should work as a consultant with our sales team (and clients) to identify the best opportunities to drive performance and client success, thus driving revenue and repeat business.
How you will contribute:
- Act as an expert in all Economist Group media ad products (print, digital, online, apps, films, social) to effectively guide the sales team to conceive media plans customized to each client
- Ensure media products are properly incorporated into media RFP’s and are clearly pitched to clients
- Work with sales lead, AdControl/Ad Operations, E BrandConnect/EIU Content teams (when applicable) to develop media plans, produce RFP responses and coordinate decks with the internal agency team (creative and research) and gather marketing collateral for advertising proposals or RFI
- Develop completing RFP responses by submitting the information required by client/agency according to our recommendations and their evaluation criteria. This can include filling out agency spreadsheets with inventory, rates, targeting, product descriptions, flight information and creative specs. Can also include gathering traffic and readership data for RFP responses
- Work closely with Ad Control/Ad Operations to coordinate the optioning of high-impact placements, sponsorships and rotational inventory. Additionally once programs are live, connecting with Ad Operations on the campaign pacing to ensure the contracted goals are met as well as communicating any optimization recommendations to the sales team to maximize campaign effectiveness
- Maintain a library of frequently used materials (“toolkit”) and update rest of team on new materials coming in from marketing and best-in-class refinements to materials either made by sales people or marketing
- Work with sales team on miscellaneous requests, such as event planning, issue mailings and database management
Experience, skills and professional attributes
The Ideal skills for this role include:
- Proven experience working as a Media Strategist is ideal
- Experience working for a Publisher or Media/Advertising Agency is beneficial
- A firm understanding of media and the advertising landscape (print, digital, apps, social)
- Experience in building media plans and working knowledge of basic media concepts, terminology and media math
- Familiarity around KPIs, industry benchmarks, and how best to achieve those success metrics
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and manage multiple time-sensitive requests
- Effective time management and organizational skills, as well as strong attention to detail
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Someone who works well in a team environment
- A person with ambition, energy and enthusiasm and the desire to learn