Wood’s nuclear business supports customers in the energy generation, new build, decommissioning and defence sectors.
Our nuclear business has offices in Knutsford and Birchwood in Cheshire, Gloucester, Dorchester, Harwell, Glasgow, Newcastle, Bristol, Cumbria, Reading and London. We also have a strong international presence to support our growing operations in France, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Poland, South Africa and Japan.
Our reputation for safely delivering quality projects on time and on budget is well recognised in the industries we serve. We have proven expertise in managing large, complex projects, a global reach and long-standing UK presence, strong relationships with our clients and cutting-edge processes and technologies.
What that means to you is the opportunity to experience a real variety of projects, working with people from different backgrounds. You'll work closely with our clients and committed to achieving outstanding results in a stimulating and quality-driven environment.
Wood Nuclear is currently looking to recruit an experienced Mechanical Building Services Engineer to take care of the mechanical services and equipment in their laboratories mainly based at the Birchwood Park site in Warrington. The individual would report to the Laboratory Facilities Manager, and work alongside the equivalent EC&I Building Services Engineer and liaise with building managers and laboratory rig owners.
Overview / Responsibilities
As the primary Senior Appointed Person (SAP) for mechanical isolations and pressure system, the responsibilities comprise:
- Authorising Appointed Persons (APs) for their role with respect to any required mechanical isolations of Wood Nuclear pressure systems, for maintenance or modification
- Annual review of AP appointments in relation to performance and ongoing competency
- Carrying out detailed surveys of the pressure systems, mechanical services and equipment within Wood Nuclear facilities to fully understood the extent, condition and operational status of the existing installation and maintain a formal record
- Categorisation of Wood Nuclear pressure systems in accordance with their safety significance (hazards to personnel), with a view to allowing APs to self-assess isolation strategies or plans for systems with low safety significance
- Undertaking review and approval of isolation plans generated by an AP, where required.
The role also includes the following responsibilities:
- Asset management, including implementing a maintenance/ asset care regime
- Managing the maintenance contracts for mechanical equipment in the laboratories, and pressure systems, e.g. Written Scheme of Examination (WSE)
- Providing a strategic overview of mechanical aspects of the facilities
- Ensuring regulatory compliance against codes & standards (PSSR, LOLER, PUWER, PED, CDM) within the laboratories, and liaising with 3rd parties, i.e. Royal Sun Alliance, Zurich, to ensure equipment meets inspection requirements at established periodic intervals
- Fostering a safety-first culture and acting as first point of contact for investigation of incidents associated with mechanical equipment or pressure systems on the site.
- Proven experience within in mechanical building services operating at a senior level
- BEng in Mechanical Engineering
- IOSH trained
- Proactive, and able to interact with a range of individuals from workshop staff to scientists
- Able to prepare technical reports/ specification on equipment status
- Able to apply for security clearance
- Understanding of CE marking requirements beneficial
What do you get?
As well as exciting roles on projects in the UK and abroad; in a supportive and professional work environment, these are some of the additional benefits you can expect at Wood:
- A competitive reward package
- Work life balance – We offer flexible working; we have core and flex hours in all our permanent office locations.
- Family friendly benefits – maternity, paternity, adoption and parental leave.
- International opportunities - As an 60,000 strong community of colleagues operating in 60 counties you will have access to international career opportunities.
- For your peace of mind we offer life insurance benefit on top of a contributory pension scheme, as well as income protection and life assurance benefit.
- To support you throughout your career you will have access to an Employee Assistance programme, which can offer anything from financial advice to mental health support and counselling sessions.
For our communities:
- We give back to our communities, we have a matched funding community investment programme. In our global business our people are showing commitment and courage to care for the communities we operate in. You can do this by supporting causes and raising funds for charities that are important to you, your colleagues and your local area.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 60,000 people, with revenues of over $10 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets, including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, power & process, environment and infrastructure, clean energy, mining, nuclear, and general industrial sectors. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.