The Economist is a leading source of analysis on international business and world affairs. We deliver our information through a range of formats, from newspapers and magazines to conferences and electronic services. What ties us together is the objectivity of our opinion, the originality of our insight and our advocacy of economic and political freedom around the world.
Within the Economist group, we are in a fortnate situation where we have a striving B2C circulation business and a growing B2B business, including media, content, event, subscription and consulting. Seperate marketing teams support each part of these business units, as a result multiple marketing automation applications have been implemented over the years, including Salesforce Marekting Cloud, Eloqua, MailChimp and Marketo.
We are now looking to bring more synergy and efficiency between teams and to further maximise on the investment.
We are looking for a Marketing Solutions Technical Lead to join and to drive the current implementation, consolidate the marketing automation tools in used and most importantly empower our marketeers to sucessfully deliver the growth initiaves within the business covering aquisition, in-life and retention campaigns.
You will be working with a small squad of people who have the technical skills required, but need the leadership to ensure that the right compromise is maintained between functional, technical and architectural requirements. The Economist believes in an iterative model of delivery and bringing value to our customers as quickly as possible.
This position is critical for laying the right foundations to ensure these solutions can effectively evolve as our business needs change. You will be the technical advocate and facilitator allowing our marketeers and newsletter editors to deliver the right message to the right audiance at the right time on the right channel.
How you will contribute:
- Takes responsibility for the ability of the team to effectively establish, implement and maintain expected product behaviour.
- Works with marketeers, CMO, product manager, editors, delivery managers and head of business solutions to influence, contribute to and validate the product roadmap.
- Ensure that the designs and implementation of stories align with technical and architectural directions.
- Works with product management to ensure stories are defined to an agreed definition of ready, including acceptance criteria to the right level for each point in the development lifecycle.
- Defines and implements engineering practices to ensure solutions meet requirements and are maintainable.
- Works with the Quality Engineering Lead to ensure that quality requirements are included in the definition of done.
- Ensures solutions can be delivered into production in a reliable and reproducible way.
- Acts as the design authority to validate design decisions taken by the team while ensuring that teams are empowered to make their own decisions.
- Ensure that estimates are produced to the right level at the right time, empowering others in the teams to contribute.
- Recommends, researches and tests hardware and software improvements and new technologies for the platform
- Encourages motivates and shows the way. Fosters an environment where people can achieve their potential. Leads the collaboration and coordination of distributed engineering teams.
- Works with product owner and or marketing teams to ensure that technical debt is appropriately managed
- Documents technical designs, training resources, and key engineering decisions.
- Provides team context and knowledge of external systems which may be relevant
- Leads the analysis of difficult system problems and, in collaboration with team members, recommends solutions
- Is responsible for change management
- Identifies resource and training needs for the platform
- Coach and meantor both technical and marketing team members
- Ensure engineering teams follow accepted protocol around system security
Experience, skills and professional attributes
The ideal skills for the role are:
- Understand product life cycle management in a software engineering environment, with particular emphasis on continuous deployment.
- Hands on and extensive experience working on Salesforce Marketing Cloud, including data extension and data streams, journey builder, audiance studio and contact builder
- Experince designing complex SOQL and SOSL queries
- Experience managing teams to design and deliver engineering solutions
- Performing code review to follow best practice and ensure development is done following the concept of security by design
- Advanced knowledge of engineering and integration concepts/principles, primarily working with REST API (including Triggered Sends) and Marketing Cloud Connector
- Proactive, analytical and capable of influencing and providing decision support
- Should be market aware, keeping up to date with competitors
- Team Player
- Experience on Eloqua, Pardot or Marketo will be looked upon favourably, however is not a must have.
- Basic understanding of data structure on Salesforce Sales or Service Cloud