Mishcon de Reya is an independent law firm, which now employs more than 900 people with over 550 lawyers offering a wide range of legal services to companies and individuals.
Based in London and Singapore, the firm services an international community of clients and provides advice in situations where the constraints of geography often do not apply. The work it undertakes is cross-border, multi-jurisdictional and complex, spanning six core practice areas: Corporate; Dispute Resolution; Employment; Intellectual Property; Private; and Real Estate.
Mishcon de Reya has grown rapidly in recent years, showing more than 70% revenue growth in the past five years alone. In 2015, the firm moved into a purpose designed building on Kingsway, and has converted to both an alternative business structure and LLP.
Mishcon de Reya prides itself on the diverse range of people who make up the firm. The central role played by the Academy, the firm’s in-house place of learning, development and new thinking, and its active and innovative social impact strategy are reflected in its Investors in People Platinum standard.
Mishcon de Reya LLP has one of the largest and most comprehensive Dispute Resolution offerings in London; over half of the Firm's lawyers are litigators. From a core of Fraud litigators we have built a team that covers most major areas of the Dispute Resolution world including: White Collar Crime & Investigations, Tax, Competition and Anti-Trust, International Arbitration, Intellectual Property and Fraud Defence & Business Disputes. Each dispute requires a bespoke solution, sometimes aggressive, sometimes measured. We fight our client’s corner: we take ownership of our client's dispute so that we can resolve it as effectively as possible. We fiercely guard our clients' interests.
For many law firms, litigation is a distraction from their everyday focus. For us, dispute resolution is at the heart of our firm. We are unusual for a firm of our size in that we remain largely conflict free and able to act on large commercial disputes with financial institutions.
We are one of the largest litigation teams in London with almost 200 litigators. We act for businesses that range from owner-manager operations to multinational entities with disputes which cross several jurisdictions. Our leadership of the International Fraud Group and membership of LegalLink gives us a reach far outside our London and Singapore homes.
Technology underpins everything we do. MDR Discover, our in-house team of eDiscovery experts, reduces the cost and complexity of large-scale litigation. We invite legal start-ups into our incubator MDR LAB, allowing us to experience the next generation of litigation tools as they are developed.
Our Cyber-Security team MDR Cyber forms a critical part of our investigatory capability, teaming criminal, civil and regulatory lawyers with non-lawyer cyber-security specialists. This online/offline capability allows us to partner with the client throughout the whole investigation process; from discovery, through to managing any media issues that arise in the aftermath.
We have excellent links to litigation funders and have experience of creating group litigation claims and shareholder actions, allowing corporate entities to leverage claims as a potential asset.
We recognise that each dispute requires a bespoke solution. When we litigate we are known for our assertive style.
• Asset & film finance
• Hardware & software
• Oil and gas
• Partnership & shareholder disputes
• Professional negligence
• Sanctions/state immunity
• Securities litigation
• Shipping and international trade
• Telecommunications & technology
We are looking for a Managing Associate to join our busy team and can provide full support to the Partners in case management and business development, while helping to mentor other colleagues. Candidates will ideally have between 6-10 years PQE and be confident in managing client relationships, workloads and priorities. We are looking for proactive applicants who are ambitious and have lots of drive and enthusiasm. Candidates should be commercial, creative legal thinkers wanting to develop a business, who are able to approach matters both from a legal as well as a commercial perspective. Sound commercial acumen is therefore a necessity, as well as the ability to 'think on your feet'.
In the context of the above, successful candidates are expected:
• To manage all client work allocated by the Partners and other solicitors within the Group and sometimes across the wider Department.
• Excellent case management skills and can run client matters (or parts of larger matters) with minimal assistance from Partners.
• Client focussed with an ability to command the trust and confidence of our clients who expect a first class service.
• Ability to lead and supervise more junior members of the team under supervision from the Partners.
• An interest in mentoring and supporting junior team members with their professional development both formally (through internal training sessions) and informally.
• Comfortable with undertaking business development both internally and externally.
• A proven track record in meeting standard hours for time recording and consistently contributes within their group.
• Demonstrates the ability to secure repeat work from internal and/or external clients by technical ability.
• To maintain clear communication links with colleagues in the Firm.
• To ensure good working relationships with colleagues, clients and external organisations.
• Excellent team player.
• Excellent attention to detail.
• Excellent organisational skills.
• Excellent drafting skills.
• Ability to manage cases on a day-to-day basis, and lead and supervise more junior team members.
• Ability to effectively manage own workload.
• Ability to communicate effectively with people at all levels.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Personable and confident, able to build relationships with partners/ key stakeholders.
• Desire to build a practice and utilise contacts for business development.
• Resilient and calm under pressure.
• Adaptable and flexible approach.
• Pro-active and takes initiative.
No agencies - we are unable to accept applications from recruitment agencies.
Please note that this job profile is not an exhaustive list of duties but merely an outline of the key components of the role. You may be required by your line manager to take on additional responsibilities when requested.
Diversity & Inclusion lie at the heart of our core values. At Mishcon de Reya, our aim is to promote and foster a culture which embraces diversity, respect for the individual and the expression of talent, to empower individuals to fulfil their, and the firm’s, potential. In order to support this, we recognise the importance of flexible and agile working and are open to having conversations on how this could work for you and our business.