The Legal Services Team sits within KPMG Tax. Its establishment flows naturally from KPMG’s long history of successfully delivering multidisciplinary services to clients. Its vision is to be the legal adviser of choice for KPMG’s clients when it comes to their people, corporate structures, internal arrangements, regulatory requirements and disputes with HMRC.
Core corporate, commercial and employment law teams, and a market leading tax litigation team, are already in place. Over the next few years, these teams will grow and Legal Services will expand into other areas of law that fit within its vision and the needs of KPMG’s clients.
What KPMG Legal Services is looking for from its lawyers:
• Team players who enjoy working with people from different backgrounds and disciplines
• Approachable people who are keen to develop personally and professionally, and to assist with the development of junior team members
• Lawyers with a passion for the law
• Intellectually curious, open-minded and analytical people, with an eye for detail and pride in their work
• Driven and proactive professionals who deliver a great service to their clients
• Relationship builders who can spot and develop new opportunities both within the KPMG network and externally
• Flexible people who are able to deal with a fluid, changing work environment
Why you might want to join KPMG Legal Services:
• You can see the advantages of professional advice being provided within a multidisciplinary team
• You are ambitious and perceive the wealth of opportunities presented by a start-up legal practice in a leading global professional services firm
• You want the opportunity to develop client relationships and KPMG’s legal services capabilities
• You are excited by the idea of being a founding member of a team that will grow significantly
• You want to broaden your experience and become a more rounded professional
• You want to achieve a sustainable work-life balance
Role and Responsibilities:
Our Manchester Legal Services business was established over 5 years ago. We now enter a new phase of growth and require a high calibre Corporate lawyer to join the team.
• Early Legal Input into Tax Advice – providing our clients with tax advice that has already been reviewed by lawyers
• Implementation of Tax Advice – providing our clients with a simple and cost-effective way of successfully implementing our tax advice
• Review and Rectification of Implementations – reviewing existing structures and helping clients preserve value by rectifying inadequate implementations and operation
• Unwinding Structures – unwinding defunct or unwanted structures
• Mergers & Acquisitions – primarily deal advice on both sides of a transaction including Corporate law advice, guidance, implementation, regulatory and applicability.
The applicant will be a corporate lawyer with a good range of experience in areas of law such as structuring and reorganisations, mergers and acquisitions, private equity, joint ventures, funds, debt listings and intra-group financing arrangements, corporate governance, commercial arrangements, share investments and/or the implementation of employee incentive arrangements.
The applicant must have a high level of technical knowledge with regards to UK corporate and contract law. Familiarity with partnership, trust, regulatory, banking and/or insolvency law would be helpful. In addition, a successful applicant will have the ability to get up to speed quickly on esoteric areas and be keen to continue developing his/her legal skills and engage in new areas of work.
The applicant must be able to demonstrate his/her experience on transactions (while ensuring that other senior members of the team are kept informed and involved at appropriate times), and to supervise and develop more junior members of the team. Strong project management skills are a must.
The applicant should have good experience of coordinating the provision of advice and the production of complex and interrelated legal agreements and documentation by advisers in several jurisdictions. While consulting appropriately on difficult issues, he/she must be able to deliver robust and appropriate legal advice and exercise sound judgement.
The successful applicant will have significant experience of working with demanding clients across a wide spectrum of size and activities, and will be expert at service delivery. He/she must be able to demonstrate sound client relationship and business development skills, and a keenness to develop these skills further. The successful applicant will be expected to take responsibility for servicing and building part of the existing business of the team. The successful applicant will help promote the team’s work through participating in team and firm events, giving internal and external presentations, and producing expert articles for publication.
Education and qualifications:
It is expected that the successful applicant will be a UK-qualified solicitor with a minimum of 4 years’ PQE experience, which should have been gained in the UK at a reputable firm (but applicants with other suitable experience will also be considered). Strong academic, technical, drafting and personal skills are essential.